CASPA GPA: A B+ vs a B, an A+ vs an A

Hello. I searched but could not find an answer. I found an answer on https://www.caspaonline.org/faq/gpas.htm which led to me believe one thing, but have had individuals tell me just the opposite.

So here is my question. I go to a university that awards B's or B+, A or A+, etc. I have received multiple A+'s and also two B+'s. For CASPA, is an A+ equivalent to an A? Also, is a B+ equivalent to a B? I have no minuses, so I am hoping my pluses will help me out here, but I have heard people say a B- is a B is a B+ and an A is an A+ and it's all the same, they just take the letter itself and that is that. Can anyone please clear this up for me?

That is incorrect. CASPA doesn't use "points;" has its own numerical value for letter grades, on a 0.0 - 4.0 scale. A chart of this is available in their GPA FAQs.

Using this scale, an A+ is the equivalent of an A on CASPA because the highest your grade can be worth numerically is a 4.0, which is what CASPA assigns for an A. They assign the same value to an A+.

A B+ is worth a 3.3, which is lower than what some schools award, which is sometimes a 3.5. However, it is still worth more than a B, which is a 3.0.

Mmm thanks. This is the actual breakdown. If you have time, can you tell me what my sGPA and GPA averaged out to?

3 non science, A+

1 science, A+

1 science, B

3 science, B+

3 science, B+

4 science, C+

Before this semester I had a 3.9, my B's are only in Government and History (whatever). I am currently a junior. I have heard if you make good grades early and bad grades worse, this is frowned upon, as opposed to doing better later or just doing average the whole time. I am just looking for a realistic assessment of how bad I hurt my chances from this semester. My HCE is about 3 years and I am only 22. Should I still plan to apply this spring? Or do I need to take time to fix my GPA?

So what if your school doesn't award +'s and -'s? My institution only awards letter grades are we just at a disadvantage?
MReese, my University didn't give plusses or minuses either which really stunk for me. On top of that I had to have a 94 to get an A! Much to my dismay, I had a 90-93 averages in some of my science classes and received a B in those classes! I ended up with a 3.94 overall GPA and a miserable science GPA of around a 3.14. BUT I've been accepted to THREE PA programs and in May will begin my studies!

All that to say, keep working hard in your studies, get some great HCE, study for the GRE, write an awesome personal statement, shadow some PA's and don't worry too much! Your grades look good--maybe retake the C+ class. Good luck to you!

Mmm thanks. This is the actual breakdown. If you have time, can you tell me what my sGPA and GPA averaged out to?

3 non science, A+

1 science, A+

1 science, B

3 science, B+

3 science, B+

4 science, C+

Before this semester I had a 3.9, my B's are only in Government and History (whatever). I am currently a junior. I have heard if you make good grades early and bad grades worse, this is frowned upon, as opposed to doing better later or just doing average the whole time. I am just looking for a realistic assessment of how bad I hurt my chances from this semester. My HCE is about 3 years and I am only 22. Should I still plan to apply this spring? Or do I need to take time to fix my GPA?

Obviously your non science gpa is a 4.0. Your science gpa is a 3.0. Can you take some more upper level science classes this semester and get A's? How about retaking that c+ class (both will be calculated into your caspa gpa).

Since you are only a junior, you have plenty of time to get your gpa up.

Good luck!

Archived