Ethicon Knot Tying Boards

Hello, does anyone know where I can get a Ethicon knot tying board?

They say you can get one from the company if you are in training but it doesn't say how to get one? I will pay.

Also, does anyone know where I can buy suture material?

What is a good type to practice with?

I sure appreciate it.

I found it easier to initially learning/practicing knot tying with string/twine. It's easier to use, and once you get the knots down, then you can switch to suture. It's easy to look at the knots to make sure they are square, rather than trying to see knots made with even an O vicryl.

As far as procuring suture, you probably won't be able to buy it, since I think it's one of those "only sold on order of physician" things. Check with one of the OR nurses. Usually, one of them has a stash of either expired, or contaminated (i.e. dropped on the floor, not contaminated with blood) that they keep in their locker until they can get it to the veterinarians office.

As far as the Ethicon knot tying board, not sure how to get one of those. Have you tried to find their website?

Good luck!

I used fishing line also, but you can get sutures at www.esutures.com

They're pretty inexpensive. I think I paid .30 - .50 cents at the most. There are more expensive suture, but the expired work well for practice and they're cheap. There are other places on the web. Just google them. Also some preceptors will keep expired suture on hand to give to students as well.

Also get a piece of foam to suture. Another hint is to use the same suture. You need to get proficient at handling the needle with the instruments and not your hands. Break the process into steps. Use the needle on the foam and don't tie it, just get really comfortable with passing the needle. Then work on just tying different knots over and over, then put it all together. Oh, and practice with gloves, double gloving helps.

Iain,

I can't recall... is your program affilated with a hospital? If so, go through the department of surgery or the department of education. That is the only way we can get them as Ethicon deals directly with them. There are pharm reps who can get them too if you know one who deals with Ethicon...

G

Those ethicon boards are not very useful, they are totally unrealistic and tying single and two handed knots with a piece of rope is more difficult and less fluid then just using a silk or braided suture. Get a hemostat and tie knots on the rings of the hemostat, and you can clip it anywhere. In terms of suture, how can a program not have a bucket of expired suture somewhere?? Best thing to do is tie tie tie while you are busy doing something else, walking around, watching TV, reading, and then look down and see how square and pretty everything is, heck I was thinking of making friendship bracelets for a living after I realized how fast tying an entire length of suture goes.

Iain- don't buy suture. As others have commented, there is tons of suture around, you just have to know where to go. Are you on clinicals yet? If so, get it from your site. Your program should have some laying around. If you're still in first year, talk to a fellow senior student to get you some. There's no reason to spend money on suture.

Re: Ethicon boards- the two-tone rope is good for the VERY BEGINNING, to get you to visualize the lay of each throw and to see that your throws are square afterwards. After that, the board is useless.

For suture, silk or vicryl is easiest to learn on. Nylon is a pain.

Get a free tie (suture without a needle on it) and tie it through the eye of one of your lab coat buttonholes...or needle stitch one to your coat. As others said, everyone did this in clinicals.....it's portable and it works. Other neat tying practices:

-Tie blindfolded (or eyes closed)

-If you have a headboard, tie the suture to it somehow and throw knots with your hands above your head

-Tie behind your back.

-Always tie with gloves if possible (or else the "in game" tying will feel quite foreign)

-Master two hand ties first. Many vascular surgeons insist on two hand ties...anastamoses and other delicate structures benefit from the control of a two hand tie.

-Tie a free tie around a pencil and tie to the pencil sitting on a desk. Why? You will need to get comfortable tying to delicate tissues. Invariably your surgeon will complian that you are puling up too much on the tissue you are tying...try to tie to the pencil without letting the pencil move. This is tough, but you will gain good control of the knot in your hands.

And remember, deliver the knot to the tissue with both index fingers!

Good luck....

We always head over to the local grocery store and pick up pigs feet for our suture training. Grab a scalpel and cut 'em up, then sew 'em back together. Very realistic and inexpensive.

I work in a hospital so we get all the suture we need, no input for ya there.

Guest lisnek
Hello, does anyone know where I can get a Ethicon knot tying board?

They say you can get one from the company if you are in training but it doesn't say how to get one? I will pay.

Also, does anyone know where I can buy suture material?

What is a good type to practice with?

I sure appreciate it.

I emailed ethicon directly and got one for free! good luck. sorry don't have the link. this may be the one - again, i just emailed and requested one in the mail.

http://ecatalog.ethicon.com/ec_ecatalog/contact.asp

lk

We are in the "Advanced Didactic" semester right before we start clinical year. One of our fellow students came across a FREE knot-tying board that Johnson&Johnson Healthcare Systems is giving away to medical students.

You just simply call a toll-free number: 1-800-255-2500

I just called them today (June 21, 2007) and they were still doing this offer.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Well I thought I was getting a deal from a eBay guy for suture, and I did not get what I wanted.

I am looking to unload a ton of it as I have a CASE of....

3-0 plain Gut, 54" (135cm)

They are ok for hand ties and if you have needles, you can do the pigs feet thing.

I got way too much.

If anyone wants some let me know and I will make you a deal. I just want to break even.

& I will try the 800 number, I could use an ethicon board....

Thanks

Jd

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I decided to go ahead and contact the customer service yesterday. I just sent an email saying I was a PA student and was wondering if they still were giving these out. I received an email today saying that my free order was being shipped so apparently they are still giving these out.

I decided to go ahead and contact the customer service yesterday. I just sent an email saying I was a PA student and was wondering if they still were giving these out. I received an email today saying that my free order was being shipped so apparently they are still giving these out.

Archived