new to the process-need advice on caspa

I am getting a late start, but I want to apply to a pa program, the deadline is Jan. 15. I am trying to figure out if this is even possible, there are some confusing things about how long it takes to process I dont understand. It says things like may take 6 weeks to process after submitting to caspa, and allow at least 4 weeks to process transcripts. I was under the impression as long as I submit my application by the 15th it is good to go-is this not correct???

I would check with the program to see if they've filled all their seats. If not, as long as it's submitted to CASPA before the deadline it should be ok. It took about a month for mine to get verified and sent out. However at this late date they are probably not as busy and the turn around time should be shorter. Make sure your transcripts and refs are complete. Also check to see if there is a supplemental application.

I think it says something like "all applications will be considered as if they arrive at the same time", so I wouldn't think any seats are filled-not positive though?

I guess I'm not understanding like when you say it took a month to get verified and sent out, does that mean I need to submit it a month before the deadline?

caspa takes time to verify receipt of all your transcripts(there is a special form that you send to your schools and they mail official transcript to caspa), and that at least two of your Letters of Rec are submitted to them. The letters are submitted online by the people you asked. Caspa sends them an email to send it back. Then, they will calculate a GPA for you...this is the GPA the schools go by. There is a little marker to let you know each item they see as completed. After they give a GPA, and you've paid for the schools you've designated..they mail it out to the school. They mail out every Friday. Careful to look at the FAQ section...it helps step by step. That's why it takes about a month, have you already put in all your classes, work experience, and personal statement? If not, you may find it difficult to get all materials in by the deadline.

I don't get it, I thought Jan. 15 (program deadline) is the date which I must submit my application by. It doesn't make sense I would have to account for processing time for caspa (the school should account for caspa processing time). Why don't they make it clear if Jan.15 is the last day for me to submit to caspa, or if it's the last day for the program to receive it from caspa? How can I possibly know how long it will take to process?

Be realistic about what you are up against, but it can't hurt to try.

Yeah it can't hurt if you don't count the 200 bucks it costs to apply. It seems like a money making thing for caspa. I can see how it benefits people who want to apply to multiple programs, but for someone who only wants to apply to one program it is a ridiculous hassle. Caspa should be an optional way to apply, I feel like for me it sucks, it has really complicated things. I mean the deadline is a month away and now I'm not sure if caspa can process it time, what a joke, I bet I dont get a refund if they don't get it there on time

is the GRE test part of CASPA application? How do I go about the GRE test. Is it really necessary?

No the GRE is not part of CASPA. You may submit your GRE score to caspa if you have it at the time you submit your application but you must have your results also sent directly to the programs that require it. As for if it is really necessary, No it is not necessary if the programs you are applying to don't require it. If the programs you are applying to do require the GRE then yes, it is necessary and the programs will not consider your application complete until you have taken it and they have the results.

Well I found this on the caspa website,

"Q: What do the posted deadlines mean?

A: Deadlines posted under “Participating Programs” are determined by the PA programs, not CASPA. Each program interprets its deadline differently; some schools want your application e-submitted by the deadline, in which case once the online application is turned in you have fulfilled the deadline. Others want it completed online, which means that CASPA has received all of your transcripts, your fee payment, and two of your references in addition to having submitted your application. Finally, some schools want the application mailed, which can take six weeks from the completion date. You should contact the programs to which you are applying to determine how they define their deadline date."

No, actually, CASPA doesn't have to do any of this research for you. I'd say that paragraph pretty clearly defines the 3 separate ways that programs may use deadlines; what exactly is so vague about it? They provide a centralized service that PA programs can then select to use or not use. There are certainly programs out there that don't use CASPA at all if the process is truly this frustrating for you.

Here is what I personally gathered from your posts- you are interested in one PA program out of 140+ and that is the only one you wish to apply to. You know the deadline is on January 15th. You begin asking questions online on December 18th, which is 29 days prior to your deadline. And you are frustrated because this online service does not spell out each program's exact rules for you, when there is no statement anywhere on the website that says they are somehow obligated to hold your hand through the process. You do realize how silly this sounds? CASPA has no guarantee or obligation to make it any easier for you; programs change their deadlines and rules on a near-yearly basis and if CASPA ever provides "false" or outdated information, they are just asking for potential students to cause trouble.

You are (most likely) applying to a graduate-level medical program. Many students have spent months or years of their lives planning out the process, they have juggled multiple deadlines at dozens of schools, and you are frustrated by not doing your research regarding one program less than a month before the end? There is always the chance that your program's deadline will allow you to submit your application, and in that case, best of luck. However, if you don't make it in this year, hopefully you can use this as a learning experience for the next round- time management, personal initiative/responsibility, and independence are ridiculously essential for all PA programs (and the career itself!), and navigating CASPA is only the tip of the iceberg.

@ CJ Kitty and PAMAC: I completely agree with both of your statements.

Also, keep in mind that CASPA isn't responsible for keeping track of programs that FILL UP; many programs are on a rolling admissions, and their seats will fill months before a winter deadline. They may still accept apps from CASPA up until their deadline, but those applicants do not have a shot at the seats. Most PA guides will tell you to have a decent shot at an actual seat in a program, you should be applying in "the Js" AKA June and July.

Your information needs to be to the school from CASPA by Jan 15, 2011 or you will have failed to meet the deadline requirement.....the downfall of "getting a late start" ;) If you get everything to CASPA by Jan 15, you will not qualify. That's why schools tell the applicants, get things in early, bc any hitch by CASPA is not their fault.

What takes time is getting those 3 letters done and sent in and your transcripts. Some schools don't just take it electronically, but also want a hard copy mailed, which will take a couple weeks.

Plus, if you are in a rush, Im almost certain your application will look rushed.

My advice, see if you can gets things done, but IMO, get everything set for April 15, 2011 and apply then.

Well the school didn't tell me to get it in early, so I don't know what that means. Also, there are not rolling admissions, which I already stated, all applications in by jan15 are okay. I still don't necessasarily know what the jan15 deadline means, you are just guessing when you say the school needs to receive it from caspa by then, even according to caspa they say schools interpret the deadline differently. In the case that I can't apply and a month and a half wasn't enough time to get an application in, then that's caspa's fault because thats ridiculous. I could easily do anything I need to do in a week (transcripts,lors,essay)-yeah i'm fast i guess,

Well the school didn't tell me to get it in early, so I don't know what that means. Also, there are not rolling admissions, which I already stated, all applications in by jan15 are okay. I still don't necessasarily know what the jan15 deadline means, you are just guessing when you say the school needs to receive it from caspa by then, even according to caspa they say schools interpret the deadline differently. In the case that I can't apply and a month and a half wasn't enough time to get an application in, then that's caspa's fault because thats ridiculous. I could easily do anything I need to do in a week (transcripts,lors,essay)-yeah i'm fast i guess,

Hey dude....uh, call any school and ask them what is your deadline for the next entering class, and they will have a HARD DATE for you. If the school you are applying to says it has an application deadline of January 15, 2011, then all materials must be received by them on or before that date.

What the January 15 deadline means, is they are using those applications to fill the Summer/Fall 2011 class. Its pretty straight forward.

Im not guessing about the date and neither is the school. I just called a school last week that has a Jan 15 deadline to inquire if it was a HARD deadline.....she said Yes, no applications would be considered after that date. I would not be eligible for the Summer 2011 class. I suggest you call and ask that very simple question.... in fact, give me the school name, and I'll call and tell you exactly what they say.

CASPA does not make the deadlines up, they are posted according to the schools information and deadline set. Otherwise, CASPA would just make ONE (1) deadline date for everyone.

I'll tell you this, go ahead, get everything done in one week, and tell the 3 people you choose to write your LORs during a holiday break that they need to RUSH and get this letter done for you in one week. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they have a lot more going on than to write a good LOR for you during these next two weeks. And universities will be closed, so the transcript request could be slower. What Im getting at, is you are not in full control of all things required to make your application complete.

The simple solution here is to clarify all of these concerns you have with the program you are applying to by calling them!! Ask them, "if I have everything to CASPA by Jan 15, is that good enough?" And their answer will most likely be No. It is obvious that you just decided this past week or so, you were gonna throw your hat in the PA ring and with this school to see what happens. What you are realizing, is it takes a lot more time than 1 week or a month and a half to have everything in and feel good about your application being complete and sent out.

that will be the key to your understanding of whether you are going to have to use your super bowstaff/application preparation skills to throw together a quality ap.

Hahaha, +1. I didn't know magical last-minute-application-submitting super bo staffs even existed, now I feel quite cheated.

I'm thinking maybe this is another troll?????

Archived