Last LOR

Hey guys...need help on where I should get my last LOR. One is from my anatomy A&P professor and one from my old manager who is a pharmacist. Most schools state they want one from an MD or PA. I don't have either. My experience as a MA was back in 2006...not willing to ask the dr.s there for a LOR just because of the large gap. So what are my choices. I literally have no connections with any MD's or PA's. only thing holding me back from submitting my application at this point.

If the schools you are applying to want one from an MD or PA, then you'll have to make the connections to get one. If you are trying to apply this year, then the MDs from your MA experience might be your best bet, because its unlikely that you can forge relationships in a short time that would lead to a good letter from an MD or PA for this cycle. Unfortunately this is the kind of thing that needs to be thought out in advance.

Call/visit local hospitals and ask if they have any PAs who are willing to have people shadow them.

This might be your best option...see if you can get a significant number of hours in a short period of time and make sure you bring your best foot forward.

I don't think its too late, a bunch of school have a deadline past August to submit your application. But, if you want to increase your chances of getting in, shadow a PA and get a reference as almost all school Require a PA reference. Just do about 16-24 hours of shadowing (2-3 days) and ask for a *good* reference on the last day. I personally did this with a MD and a PA, and I'm willing to bet if the PA is willing to have you shadow them, they are willing to write a good reference. You can possibly have it done in 2 weeks if you act quick.

Archived