EmCare

I worked for Emcare for a couple of years as a per-diem job and worked exclusively in the main ED; I would guess their fast track policy might vary depending on the hospital they contract with. As far as working for the company, they paid well compared to other local ED's, but the pay rate never budged the whole time I worked there. I can't speak to the benefits as I was only a moonlighter, but the people I worked with thought that they were OK. It was a little weird working for them and AMR at the same time, as they were both owned by the same company, so I would get each mailing twice; one addressed to me as a PA, and one as a paramedic!

Full time with EmCare I was compensated hourly plus a portion of the RVU's generated per patient. This made for quite a variable check, but the amount of procedures and degree of complication really were noticeable some months in that check. I feel the compensation was very fair but I really had no benefits other than malpractice coverage and 401k. I also rotated in FT and the main ED. Regarding scheduling, I was frequently getting asked to work at other facilities where I was credentialed, but I had enough shifts at my primary facility to keep me busy. I could see EmCare holding back a well seasoned PA though and keeping them primarliy for FT and assisting with procedures and less complicated main ED patients.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't care for EmCare when I was doing per diem for them. My fulltime job put schedules out about a month in advance, and EmCare wanted my availability two to three months ahead of time. Even after numerous explanations that I could not give them a definite answer on shift availability three months in advance, they continued to behave like I was the one that was being difficult to work with, and they had a "We need to know now!" attitude. I eventually disappeared from their radar. Also, I have nothing against reimbursement for procedures, etc. but, when your value is based primarily upon how many patients you can turn out in an hour, it becomes puppy mill medicine.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived