Need some advice about undergrad

What degree should I go for?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What degree should I go for?

• Medical Lab Sciences
    • Nursing
    • Other recomendation

Hey all,

So I have had a hard time deciding what I want my undergrad to be for a long time, I finally decided a couple of months ago. I was really on the idea of getting a bachelors in Medical Laboratory Sciences but after I found out some more information I am probably going to need to change my degree. The college that offers it only takes about 26 students a year(only school in my area that offers this degree), I am not sure how many people apply yearly. I am told It is a very hard degree, the classes are very intense, and I may never use most of them as a PA.

I am debating on switching over to a nursing degree, it would be a 2+2 AA degree. Of course its a limited access program but I also have the option of applying to other schools in the area for a bachelors in nursing.

I would have to take a couple of extra classes for the pre-reqs for PA school with the nursing degree but it is all doable.

I want to get a bachelors that I can actually use to work incase something happens and I don't to PA school.

Would it be wise to go for the MLS or the nursing degree?

I agree with loliz. It all depends on if you would want to work in a lab or as a clinical setting. I can see how becoming a nurse would help you to accumulate health care experience, which most PA schools factor into the applications. If you don't plan on working in a lab then I would think twice about majoring in medical lab sciences. Have you started college yet? There are 5 year programs that would allow you to become a PA (3 years undergrad + 2 years in grad school).

You can look them up on the CASPA website or you can search for them. These are a few that I know of, but I'm sure there are a lot more. Saint Francis, Duquesne, Gannon, King's College, Drexel, Seton Hill, Wagner College, Chatham (Chatham has an articulation agreement with the following: Allegheny College; Slippery Rock University; Mount Aloysius College; Mt. Vernon Nazarene College; Washington and Jefferson College and Thiel College. This means that you can go to these schools as an undergraduate student and then go to Chatham for grad school).

There are also a few associate degree programs out there but their time is limited. If you chose to go this route you could start building your HCE now and what you get your degree in is a mute point after that. You could take your pick as a EMT, EKG Tech, Surgical Tech, CNA, PT Aid, Scribe (make sure the school accepts this first), Pacemaker Tech, and etc. Riverside Community College, Foothill College (Stanford's program), and San Juaquin Valley College are all AA programs (and offer a masters if you already have a BA/BS). Most have a 2,000 HCE min which is basically 1 year working full-time. All three I just listed are in California but there are more than 170 programs nationally and I believe there's another 60+ that are opening soon. Not all of them use CASPA so I'd check out the PAEA website as well and look for programs you may have missed.

http://www.paeaonline.org/

http://portal.caspaonline.org

Imo I would do which ever degree lets me start building HCE that has direct patient contact the fastest and that has the best potential for employment in your area. The issue you'll have as a medical lab scientist is that its great for med school but its not what PA schools are generally looking for. So I think by process of elimination and selecting between these two fields you'd have to choose nursing since its the only one that has constant direct patient contact.

Thanks guys for the opinions.

I am already in college this semester is my second. So far I have been doing all my math classes, developmental classes (writing) and required gen ed (speech class etc) , I haven't gotten into any core classes for the medical lab science except for one that is a computer class which will help me either way. Come august is when I will start taking some classes that are narrowed down for my degree.

I would prefer doing nursing but I know that the market only wants experienced nurses which is why I went the lab science route but I know it would not help me get any HCE. I think I will go the nursing route after looking at the classes I'm kind of excited and the clinicals will really help me.

Thanks guys for the opinions.

I would prefer doing nursing but I know that the market only wants experienced nurses which is why I went the lab science route but I know it would not help me get any HCE. I think I will go the nursing route after looking at the classes I'm kind of excited and the clinicals will really help me.

Typically places hire their own. That being said getting your CNA or EMT now and working even part time or per diem will set you apart from your classmates. Start building that resume now versus later. From an employer perspective which would you rather hire? The graduate with no experience but involvement in student activities versus the new grad that has already worked in the field for a couple of years part time?

• Administrator

You know, the single biggest draw for employers looking at me was my undergraduate in Computer Information Systems. All the hiring docs are in their 50's, and really wanted a PA who knew his way around computers.

Our diversity is our strength; don't be a cookie-cutter, it cheapens the profession.

Archived