owning a bariatric post-op clinic in massachusetts

I am a physician assistant with experience in bariatric surgery, particularly outpatient clinical post-op follow-up. I can take care of both band and gastric bypass patients.

I think I could succeed in starting my own practice to see post-op bariatric patients bc many surgeons find their schedules clogged with follow-up visits, and this is obviously less lucrative for them than seeing new patients heading to the OR.

Is there anyone on the forum who has insight into the particulars of starting a PA-owned practice in Massachusetts? I have just begun noodling on this idea and I think it could be very successful, and a welcome resource for my area's bariatric surgeons.

I am a physician assistant with experience in bariatric surgery, particularly outpatient clinical post-op follow-up. I can take care of both band and gastric bypass patients.

I think I could succeed in starting my own practice to see post-op bariatric patients bc many surgeons find their schedules clogged with follow-up visits, and this is obviously less lucrative for them than seeing new patients heading to the OR.

Is there anyone on the forum who has insight into the particulars of starting a PA-owned practice in Massachusetts? I have just begun noodling on this idea and I think it could be very successful, and a welcome resource for my area's bariatric surgeons.

The problem is that the surgeon is already being paid for follow up care. Why should someone pay you?

bundling only applies if the same surgeon sees the patient in follow up

If you see some one different they still get paid......

It actually might be workable

I started http://www.berkshiremobilemedicine.com in MASS and it is possible to do

The biggest problem - if you are going to bill medicare you need to have a doc as co-owner 1% (might be able to get an NP but I got a doc) due to state laws

But with a doc owner you have to have legal papers drawn up..... $$$

If you are not going to bill medicare you might be able to incorp with you owning 100% and then bill for the PA visit, but you have to have a corp set up as MASS bans a PA from direct billing

The biggest problem - if you are going to bill medicare you need to have a doc as co-owner 1% (might be able to get an NP but I got a doc) due to state laws

I think that is a fed law. But it simply states that a PA can't be 100% owner . . . anyone else, save your dog, can be the other 1%. I know of people who made their wives the other 1%.

I think that is a fed law. But it simply states that a PA can't be 100% owner . . . anyone else, save your dog, can be the other 1%. I know of people who made their wives the other 1%.

the 1% is actually a medicare guideline

in MASS there is a law that restricts the "corporate practice of medicine" and therefor any medical corp must be a PC (professional corp) and in order to do this you have to be a licensed medical provider - hence only PA and Doc for sure, but I think you could make the arguement for NP co-owner, but would not be able to make it your wife.....

State law + Medicare guidelines = PA with minority Doc ownership (1%)

course if you are in MASS and not going to bill Medicare you could just own 100%

Or just own 100% and hope to never get audited (bad idea)

Why bariatric surgery may be a good way to go:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1756-0500/6/213/abstract

[h=4]Conclusions[/h]Promotion of a diet with limited energy intake, appropriate composition of food and increased physical activity had limited effects on body weight in a Swedish primary care setting. More extensive advice and more frequent visits made no significant difference to the outcome.

In other words, ramping up the level of patient education, follow-ups, encouragement etc doesn't make a difference. At least in this study.

For those who work in bariatrics, are the dietary interventions that are pursued pre-surgically simply fulfilling requirements for surgery, or is there some expectation that patients might actually be able to avoid surgery?

For those who work in bariatrics, are the dietary interventions that are pursued pre-surgically simply fulfilling requirements for surgery, or is there some expectation that patients might actually be able to avoid surgery?

in practices where I have worked before, the dietary requirements were partly imposed by the insurance companies (to insure that patients had made a diligent effort - and, usually, failed - to lose weight the "traditional" way), and also sometimes required by the surgeon for two reasons: 1) for increased overall intraoperative safety and 2) reduction of the size of the (typically fatty) liver, to make more visual room for surgery.

I don't think the surgeons are paid in perpetuity by the bundle. bariatric patients are followed for life, and they then have a co-pay each time they visit. band adjustments are billable procedures, and by pass patients need regular labs. both patients might at times need either an UGI if a band slip is suspected, or EGD if the patient has stenosis or anastomotic leaks. and any of them might need surgical intervention at times if a band erodes, or if the patient wants it out, or if they need a pouch revision, etc. in these cases, I would send the patient back to their surgeon.

Archived