Interview Mistakes

What is the #1 mistake PA school applicants make at the interview?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. What is the #1 mistake PA school applicants make at the interview?

• Innapropriate dress/accessories
    • Not being "Likeable"
    • Poor answers to interview questions
    • Sense of entitlement based on resume
    • Not making an emotional connection

As a former admissions committee member, I found that some great applicants, on paper, did not fair well in the actual interview. Whether it be a "gut feeling", eye contact, anxiety, innapropriate dress/accessories, or simply not answering the questions appropriately. I would be interested to know what other admissions committee members would rank as the #1 reason applicants don't score well on the interview.

I find poor interpersonal skills during interviews are THE number 1 mistake for PA applicants.While admissions committees know this can be a high anxiety situation, applicants that have a hard time engaging in a meaningful conversation and have poor non verbal communication skills are reasons to question the fit of this career choice that relies so heavily on good people skills.

I always think about how an applicant would make a patient feel in a clinical setting. It's a very bad sign when I want to end the interview after the first 5 minutes due to an applicant making me feel so uncomfortable.

I suppose this goes along with Cat's "lack of interpersonal skills", but the student who tears up during the interview never makes it past the cut. I mean, really? Medicine is stressful. PA education is stressful. A PA school interview...not so much. Get your emotions in check folks!

I answered "poor answers" though...those who just haven't done their homework on the profession, on the program itself...in this information age it amazes me. Does that go along with entitlement? I think so.

For me, the single, greatest cardinal sin is not being able to tell me in a clear, concise manner what a PA actually is and does. For me, this tells me the candidate is unprepared, does not understand what the profession is, or cannot communicate well. Any of the above three reasons are sufficient to prevent me from allowing a candidate into an incoming class. it AMAZES me how many prospectives do not understand this nor practice for it.

A close second is a candidate who presents with MCAT scores and thinks that because they couldn't get into medical school, they are entitled to go to PA school. Some (very few) have given legitimate explanations as to the sudden change of why no med school and now PA school. But most don't. And they don't prepare for it either.

I too also look for interpersonal skills as well... this will make or break an interview.

G

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Also, what are some bad responses you've gotten to the "What does a PA do question?"

I found this question a little difficult. The answer can be so varied, as varied as a PA's job. Sure " a PA works as a primary care provider under the license of their supervising physician. Is that all they want? I found myself trying to describe - what a PA actually does. Reviewing the chart, taking a history, performing a physical examination..... While doing this I felt that what a PA does is difficult to list like this because the next actions depends on the case. Is the patient being evaluated for a sprained ankle or a cut on their hand, or a million other conditions? So I gave the injured leg scenario and ran with it. Was that a completely wrong way of handling the question, I found it hard to briefly and completely answer the question. Any suggestions as to what an appropriate response would be?

• 3 weeks later...

PAs are not necessairly Primary Care providers unless that is the area they work in, they do not HAVE to work in primary care--they can do derm, surgery, cardiology etc. Now PAs are generalist meaning they are trained in multiple areas (jack of all trades master of none) however being a generalist is not the same as primary care. All this means is that they have a broad general knowledge of multiple areas on which to build on when out in the worforce.

They also work under their own liscense and have their own DEA numbers.

When asked what a PA does its best to not think too much into it. Its really simple when you think about it...know the job description of a PA....what type of skills should they have, what types of things can they do (perscribe drugs, H&P, so on)

I found this question a little difficult. The answer can be so varied, as varied as a PA's job. Sure " a PA works as a primary care provider under the license of their supervising physician. Is that all they want? I found myself trying to describe - what a PA actually does. Reviewing the chart, taking a history, performing a physical examination..... While doing this I felt that what a PA does is difficult to list like this because the next actions depends on the case. Is the patient being evaluated for a sprained ankle or a cut on their hand, or a million other conditions? So I gave the injured leg scenario and ran with it. Was that a completely wrong way of handling the question, I found it hard to briefly and completely answer the question. Any suggestions as to what an appropriate response would be?

During an interview, you want to be concise but accurate. The answer would be a PA is a healthcare provider who practices medicine under supervision of a physician. The primary role of a PA is to serve as a physican extender and be an integral part of a healtcare team.

Archived