almost done with my first year in ED and I am getting sick...

I mean I am getting sick over and over again. Since October, I have had more than five URI and that's after a flu shot. And of course, having two kids of 3 1/2 yo and 10 mo, they are getting the same stuffs most of time.

Is it true that as your body gets used the "local bugs" in a year or two, things will get better? Oh my, every time I am sick, as I am now while typing, I want to change into other speciality where exposures can be minimized. Just a bit frustrated!! And getting sick of getting sick!!

I dont think there is any specialty where your "exposure" will be minimized... sick people will always flock to you like zombies to a all you can eat brain buffet.

I think Pharmaceutical Rep or Research would be the only two places that would be able to have Minimal exposure to the sick.

Dont worry, you will get used to it...

wash your hands A LOT more

don't touch your face at all!

have patients not breath on you

get out of the room as fast as possible with cold/flu pts...

when I do this I remain healthy, when I don't I get sick......

get the hand sanitizer and use it AALLLLLLLl the time.................

A couple years back I worked closely with a Medical Assistant who kept getting URI's since she began working at our clinic. She was always catching whatever from our peds patients, from the elderly, constantly ill. She once asked me how come I spent more time with each patient and I never got I'll, my response was simple, I jog daily, drink tons of pure green tea, wash my hands constantly and hold my breath whenever I examine oropharynx, or whenever i am in close proximity, face to face with URI patients. I eat healthy and take my vitamins. This M.A. Followed my advice and, Voila! Her infections became less and less frequent. I saw her recently since she will be finishing the RN program next monand she said she can handle long shifts caring of patients and hasn't had URIs in years. (Neither have I)

Funny i was just thinking the same thing. I am on my 4th URI in 8 months. My coworkers at the ED called me Walgreens today because I came to work with so many OTC cold medications to try to control this yuck while I was at work. I wear gloves with every patient encounter and even religously sanitize my dictation area periodically and still get sick. Im going to start wearing a mask when i examine febrile/URI patients (seriously)

Thank you so much for great tips!! Think I am doing most of them now but will make sure I am.

One thing though, when I get a patient not in for URI symptoms but for something else but with URI symptoms, is there a nicer way to ask patinet to wear a mask?? Haha, I just can't get conversation started and feel bad to wear a mask in the middle of conversation after realizing the symptom.

You can always opt to tell the patient that you are putting on your mask to protect them, as they sound if their immunization level is down a bit... or tell them that you had a patient at the start of shift with a cough and you don't to spread any germs you may have picked up... blame the mask on something other than the person in front of you...should help you not feel guilty and it may protect you.

That being said...I see SOOOOOOooo many providers wearing the same mask all day..or they use their bare hands take off the mask before they wash their hands, or wash their hands, touch the mask, then continue on their day without washing your hands after taking off the mask, or the part that skeeves me out...taking off the mask while still wearing the gloves you just touched your patient with. If you are going to use the mask as an effective barrier, it is imperative to treat the mask as an infectious medium, like a surgical dressing.

All that being said..during my time in a medic unit and seeing patients in military sick call...rarely did I wear a mask...febrile cough, nuchal pain, spitters, doing I&Ds...sure. I did however put a mask on a lot of my EMS patients, especially if the cough once without covering their mouth, I'll ask them politely to cover when they cough. The second time they forget, I ask them politely to put on a mask.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with this post

wash your hands A LOT more

don't touch your face at all!

have patients not breath on you

get out of the room as fast as possible with cold/flu pts...

when I do this I remain healthy, when I don't I get sick......

get the hand sanitizer and use it AALLLLLLLl the time.................

Archived