I have a question for you everyone...

I am currently enrolled in a PharmD program, working on becoming a pharmacist. Im in the middle of my second of four years of school. The outlook for pharmacists has plummeted. The demand we once had is diminishing due to an insane amount of schools opening up. When I graduate my GPA will have put through the ringer ( I'm sure you all can understand how that goes...), and I'm curious if me applying as a PharmD, or doctor, would help my chances of getting into PA school. I am just trying to weight my options for when I graduate and get in the unemployment line. The other question I have is that I didn't get a bachelors degree. I just did the pre-req's for the program and got in. Would anyone be aware if a PharmD would substitute, or be equal to, the bachelors as far as admission requirements go?

thanks for your help

Go where your heart is.

I was hardcore Med school ---> then Pharmacy, then after working as an EMT ----> I ended up PA school!

Because I found what would work for ME and my family. I could work with patients, and have a life! YOU are the one who needs to live with the choice. It is competitive to get in to PA school, just as Pharm School! Only cut the Pharm school cord if you are accepted to a PA program, and you are sure! There is a professor at my program who is both a PA and a RPh. Very high demand like mentioned before. If you like patient care, and working with the sick --- you will want PA. If you do not have patient experience, I would strongly recommend getting some before leaving Pharm school. It may truly sway you into being a pharmacist -- or a PA. Not everyone likes bleeding, vomiting, pooping, fainting, broken people. Take your time and think out your choices! But, long story short -- the fact you are in a Pharm D program would really work in your favor for getting in to a PA program. Good luck!!

I appreciate the replies. I fully plan on finishing out Pharm school, 2.5 years left, 1.5 of which is didactic. The last year of school is rotations in pharmacies, hospitals, and clinics. I think that will help to expose me to a lot more to patient care and then when I graduate hopefully I can find a decent job someplace. I think I will look into applying a lot more seriously during my last year of school. It seems like PAs do well enough financially to support a family, and have a pretty interesting career. Taking on additional school seems like quite the stretch, since I'm sick of it as is, but I think, like a few of you said, I would be pretty marketable as both a PharmD and PA.

Thanks again- and any other responses are appreciated.

Archived