Air Force Reserves

I am currently a CV surgery PA and have practiced for 4 Years. I have always wanted to join the military and found that now would be an excellent time to do so. I spoke with an Air Force Reserves recruiter today. He states that he would have to find me an open position associated with or similar to CV surgery. Does anyone know if this is true? I was hoping to maybe get a break from CV surgery and work in other areas while serving in the military (Emergency, Internal or other surgical specialties as needed.)

I am currently a CV surgery PA and have practiced for 4 Years. I have always wanted to join the military and found that now would be an excellent time to do so. I spoke with an Air Force Reserves recruiter today. He states that he would have to find me an open position associated with or similar to CV surgery. Does anyone know if this is true? I was hoping to maybe get a break from CV surgery and work in other areas while serving in the military (Emergency, Internal or other surgical specialties as needed.)

Agree with fireguy. Make sure you are talking to someone with:

1. Knowledge

2. Power (can actually get you that magic slot)

The Reserves are a TOTALLY different animal in terms of how units are manned, promoted, etc.

Generally speaking you must have a designator and a slot that match your work desires. This will depend on the manning allowances for a unit. (25 doctors, 2 PAs, 85 medics...). Overage slots must be requested and approved (There are 2 PAs slotted but they need/want a 3rd that is not on that manning document).

Otherwise you will be doing physicals on the weekend or may be sick call (read: primary care) depending on the unit and the location where you actually drill at.

Now you may be able to go on your 2 weeks (annual tour) and work at location with surgical. May being the operative word and not guaranteed in any way.

In the active Reserves you will spend most weekends training, training, training...BTDT

Also ask about IMA.

1. Knowledge

The Reserves are a TOTALLY different animal in terms of how units are manned, promoted, etc.

Generally speaking you must have a designator and a slot that match your work desires. This will depend on the manning allowances for a unit. (25 doctors, 2 PAs, 85 medics...). Overage slots must be requested and approved (There are 2 PAs slotted but they need/want a 3rd that is not on that manning document).

Otherwise you will be doing physicals on the weekend or may be sick call (read: primary care) depending on the unit and the location where you actually drill at.

Now you may be able to go on your 2 weeks (annual tour) and work at location with surgical. May being the operative word and not guaranteed in any way.

In the active Reserves you will spend most weekends training, training, training...BTDT

Also ask about IMA.

1. Knowledge

Also ask about IMA.

Archived