Anyone know PA schools that COUNT scribe work?

Touching patients as a tech and as a student now are two totally different things. At least it is for me. I feel like I am learning that at the same level as the rest of the class.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hybrid scribe positions offer the best of both worlds. If you are with the patient from the time you call them back until the time they leave, & do all the patient care, plus are present for the entire provider portion of the visit, you really cannot beat that kind of experience.

The hybrid scribe positions offer the best of both worlds. If you are with the patient from the time you call them back until the time they leave, & do all the patient care, plus are present for the entire provider portion of the visit, you really cannot beat that kind of experience.

i WOULD CALL THAT A MEDICAL ASST. POSITION.

Indiana University (Indianapolis) counts any patient-facing HCE. So if you are observing health care being provided in a health care setting, of any type, the experience applies, so long as it is within 5 years of application. See http://shrs.iupui.edu/health_sciences/degrees/mpas/mpas.html for further details on our process.

Good luck!

Office of Student Enrollment Services

Indiana University School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences

With scribing it is not glorified shadowing because after you do it for a few months you start developing knowledge base of what to order. Often I found myself asking the doc if he wanted this lab test or that radiology test. Many I was right on target. You also learn structure of the chart by heart. Some long timers scribes actually have the nerve to correct doctors when they tell them to order tests that don't make sense (mind you, that is after a trust between scribe and doc has been long established and docs actually love it, at least where I worked). I hate that scribing has such a bad reputation on this forum. I firmly believe that without scribing I would NOT be in PA school. While it was scribing that got me the ER tech job, I got interviews BEFORE I started working as a tech. So, while I had tech experience, it was not counted on my application.

It's funny that PA schools teach us that you should have a pretty good idea of pt's diagnosis after H&P alone, but then scribing is suddenly a sub-par experience. In the ER I worked at, techs had NO TIME to figure out what the heck each test is about, or look at the results, or learn anything from the experience. It was draw blood, do EKG, clean up this, clean up that over and over again. However, when you scribe, you talk to doctors and PA's, and have time to figure out test results. By my last scribe days I was able to interpret some radiology findings, and make a correct diagnosis more times than not ("Hey doc, can I put xxxx as the diagnosis?" --- "Sure thing!"). I believe this is why scribing counts in a lot of schools.

ps.. hope this post makes sense. I am sleep deprived before big neuro exam tomorrow :)

This. Working as a scribe you start to think like a PROVIDER not a tech. You are attached to a PROVIDER for hours at a time. Put a highly motivated pre-pa/pre-med student in a scribe position and they will learn an incredible amount of information. I would highly encourage anyone who is interested in medicine to try and work as a scribe because it is a great experience.

That's not to say working as a tech isn't great experience as well. They are just different. Working as a tech you will obviously learn more procedures/clinical skills, but you may not learn the big picture. Both have great things to offer.

This. Working as a scribe you start to think like a PROVIDER not a tech. You are attached to a PROVIDER for hours at a time. Put a highly motivated pre-pa/pre-med student in a scribe position and they will learn an incredible amount of information. I would highly encourage anyone who is interested in medicine to try and work as a scribe because it is a great experience.

This! Obviously tech experience is awesome but being in school as a provider you would think time spent one on one with a provider would be more valuable. Anyway all the comments in this have been interesting!

This! Obviously tech experience is awesome but being in school as a provider you would think time spent one on one with a provider would be more valuable. Anyway all the comments in this have been interesting!

You didn't mention the most important part of the equation, the patient. Until you put your hands on a patient you are just a detached observer. I hope medicine never gets to the point where we lose sight of the patient and consider being able to order lab, imaging etc. as better experience than the laying on of hands.

You didn't mention the most important part of the equation, the patient. Until you put your hands on a patient you are just a detached observer. I hope medicine never gets to the point where we lose sight of the patient and consider being able to order lab, imaging etc. as better experience than the laying on of hands.

THANK YOU. that was kind of my point...also making decisions is important. observing and documenting will never replace touching and making decisions involving pt care then standing by those decisions and learning from your errors....

Even though this thread got off topic anyone else that is looking at it for schools that accept scribe work I did a lot of emailing over the past couple weeks. While many schools don't list scribe as work that counts, after a lot of email correspondence I've gathered many more accept scribing than it seems like! It's been a relief...

These are the ones I know

Marquette, USC (California), Rosalind Franklin, Augsburg, and wake Forest

Would you mind posting your schools? Thank you!!!

Nice! Aside from the ones you have mentioned: Univ. of CO, Duke, LSU, Northwestern, University of Alabama, University of Utah, Texas Tech, Univ. of Iowa, Univ. of Bridgeport, Emory, Wichita State, Univ. of Washington, Northern Arizona, and Yale. Quinnipiac and George Washington said it doesn't count for them...

These are just the ones I've emailed.

Archived