Just how valuable are letters of recommendation? In other words, what are my chances?

I have recently begun my initial application process for PA schools. I feel like my qualifications are decent, but nothing special. I have a 3.41 GPA, with a science GPA of 3.62 (I'm much better at classes which apply and challenge me, all my lower grades are in meaningless classes that were simply required). In line with the last sentence, I've dropped a decent amount of classes, but they were always those same meaningless classes that simply bored the crap out of me. In hindsight it definitely would've been much smarter to just stick it out. I've also taken 2 one year breaks, in which I moved and traveled around the country and pursued my dream of professional rollerblading. I have nearly 4000 hours of HCE, as both an EKG/telemetry tech and a mental health tech. However, and here comes the main focus of my question, I have letters of recommendation from a NP that was my boss as an EKG tech, along with two doctors that I shadowed and worked under. I declined the option to view these letters, however all of them sent me a copy, and I was completely blown away. Even I feel like they embellished a bit, but their recommendations were BEYOND glowing. So my question is, just how valuable are these letters going to be? And considering what I've provided, what are my chances of getting into my top schools, all of which are out of state. Thanks for your time!

You have good GPA, experience, and letters...what exactly are you confused about? You will get into top schools if your interview goes well! if you interview poorly then you won't get in. it is all up to you being personable now.

I agree with the above posts. If length of your narrative allows, I say you throw in there your experiences at trying to become a professional rollerblader. Helps to explain to the ad ADCOM you're lapse in schooling, but more importantly gives you a unique story to tell to a group of individuals bombarded with "I've wanted to go into medicine since I was 7" essays. Pending a strong interview and well written narrative, you're in good shape for most programs.

My concerns mostly centered around multiple yearlong breaks, along with dropping some classes. And while my GPA is okay, it seemed below the average for a lot of the schools. I'm feeling a lot better now though, thanks for all the responses guys! One question, how would you guys best suggest handling the inevitable questions about why I dropped classes? Like I said, they were never important classes, but I feel like simply telling them that I got bored and annoyed with the meaningless classes won't look very good.

Another one of my concerns has been that I don't want to end up not getting in this time around, and then having to wait another year, so I'd planned on applying to around 10 schools. Problem is, it's freaking expensive. So, I know it's obviously up to me in the end, but with my credentials, do you guys think I'll be solid enough to narrow my focus to 4-5 schools? I'm a pretty personable person, and I have no doubt that if I can get to the interviews I'll be able to get in to at least a couple; my worries had been getting to the interviews. My girlfriend insists that I've been stressing top much, and listening to you guys, it sounds like she's probably right haha.

To the OP: You should do fine. The letters are important because they give your application some life, as opposed to dry lists of courses, test scores, and hours of HCE. Pick people who know you well and can speak to your drive and character. I used a professor, a senior manager (and friend) from the business world, and a lieutenant in our EMS unit.

I used to interview and hire people for my unit at work. These were all engineers and they usually had predictable backgrounds. Good grades from good schools. Some had really good internships, which we liked. I was always looking for someone with that extra something. One guy had spent two years in Alaska with his brother, getting a small family trucking business started. I hired him in a flash and never looked back.

I wouldn't show up for your interview in kneepads, but your experience doing something radically different in life is a plus. Use it.

Good luck!

Archived