Sign in to follow this  
khogan1234

Any advice for a Pre-PA student seeking admission to NOVA in Ft.Myers?

Hello everyone! I am only a freshman in college, but will be classified as a sophomore after this coming fall. NOVA in Ft. Myers is my number one choice for PA school, as it is not far from home and I am familiar with the area. I have a 3.0 GPA as of right now (I had rude awakening my first semester), but my spring classes are about to come to an end. I have shadowing opportunities lined up for this coming summer, and I plan on becoming a CNA by this fall. I was just wondering if any of you have any advice that could make or break my acceptance? How competitive is NOVA in Ft.Myers? I hope I am looking into this early enough so I can fulfill all of their requests.

Thanks!

:)

Hello everyone! I am only a freshman in college, but will be classified as a sophomore after this coming fall. NOVA in Ft. Myers is my number one choice for PA school, as it is not far from home and I am familiar with the area. I have a 3.0 GPA as of right now (I had rude awakening my first semester), but my spring classes are about to come to an end. I have shadowing opportunities lined up for this coming summer, and I plan on becoming a CNA by this fall. I was just wondering if any of you have any advice that could make or break my acceptance? How competitive is NOVA in Ft.Myers? I hope I am looking into this early enough so I can fulfill all of their requests.

Thanks!

:)

You sound like you are on the right track. Try and get your cumulative GPA and science GPA to at least a 3.5 before you apply. Also make sure you get involved with the local community. Nova is very proud of their students impact on volunteering and I know it couldn't hurt to do more than the average hours of community service. Also, make sure you don't just take the minimum amount of hours required to be considered a full time student (12) as a undergrad. Challenge yourself and take 18 credits or even 20 granite you aren't working and it will speak volumes to how well you will be able to handle the intense work load in PA school. Hope this helps.

Also, I realize there are plenty of other things you could be doing but these are just my suggestions. Feel free to message me:)

You sound like you are on the right track. Try and get your cumulative GPA and science GPA to at least a 3.5 before you apply. Also make sure you get involved with the local community. Nova is very proud of their students impact on volunteering and I know it couldn't hurt to do more than the average hours of community service. Also, make sure you don't just take the minimum amount of hours required to be considered a full time student (12) as a undergrad. Challenge yourself and take 18 credits or even 20 granite you aren't working and it will speak volumes to how well you will be able to handle the intense work load in PA school. Hope this helps.

Also, I realize there are plenty of other things you could be doing but these are just my suggestions. Feel free to message me:)

Thanks for your advice! :) I am apart of my schools Association of Pre-PA's, and so I will be doing lots of volunteer events with them next year. I also LOVE doing charity 5k races, just a fun fact that I guess could potentially go on my resume? I took 15 credits this semester, have 9 lined up for summer and 16 in the fall. I don't have a job as of now, hopefully I can receive one once I have my CNA under my belt. Do you know many hours of experience is preferred for that school? I have heard some scary numbers and just want to be certain... Thanks again :)

Thanks for your advice! :) I am apart of my schools Association of Pre-PA's, and so I will be doing lots of volunteer events with them next year. I also LOVE doing charity 5k races, just a fun fact that I guess could potentially go on my resume? I took 15 credits this semester, have 9 lined up for summer and 16 in the fall. I don't have a job as of now, hopefully I can receive one once I have my CNA under my belt. Do you know many hours of experience is preferred for that school? I have heard some scary numbers and just want to be certain... Thanks again :)

Guest KRJames

Khogan what school do you go to? And what class are you likely to try for? I'm looking at apply 2016 for entry 2017, class of 2019. That would be cool to have met someone on here so far in advance and end up going through the program with you. I'm currently at 3.12 overall GPA and 4.0 science GPA with a maximum possible GPA of 3.63 if I get all As from here out in my undergrad and prerequisite courses. I'm working as a CNA and I'm in RN school. By the time I apply I will have (projected) 2500 hours as a CNA and 2000 hours as a RN. I am already starting to reach out to PAs for shadowing opportunities and I have been an affiliate pre-PA member of the AAPA (American Academy of Physician Assistants) since June. I'm taking my first attempt at the GRE in September because I already have my core academics done, only nursing program classes, Chem 1, Chem 2, and Organic Chem classes remaining.

Make sure you do good in your pre-req's. If you a get one or two "C's" in a science class, don't beat yourself up for it. I applied with a 3.3 gpa. Although its not awesome, it's decent enough to be competitive (but obviously the higher the gpa the better). The thing I think got me an interview was my experience as an EMT. I worked as an EMT for 3 years. I was also very involved in my fraternity, school activities, Pre-pa society. I also volunteered a lot at habitats for humanity, march of dimes and big brother big sister. Also, I had a like 20 something hours shadowing a PA. I think having an awesome essay will help too. Think about it, what will differentiate yourself from all the other students applying with a 3.5+ gpa?...the essay. Put how bad you want to be a PA, and what things in your life have gotten you to choose this career. Remember, the staff are all PA's and doctors...and you are asking to be part of an exclusive profession. Impress them through words, especially if your gpa is not on the higher end. I got the feeling that they are looking more for a well rounded student that has a personality than a bookworm that has a 4.0 but no healthcare experience and no group interaction/volunteering.

Don't spend a couple hours on the essay. spend days or weeks on it..make it so good that they are intrigued and HAVE to meet you and interview you. Once you get the interview, your pretty much in (as long as you don't completely freeze or say something insulting lol...atleast that's how i looked at it)....the interview is just the staff's chance to see how your personality is and how well you will fit in the program.

let me know if you have any more questions.

good luck!