RANT: Littled Frustrated About A Classmate

Hola,

Overheard a conversation a couple of weeks ago and it's just sad. Classmate is applying to PA school this year and has little direct HCE (<500 hours) and as such is calling in the favors. What do I mean?

1 - Family friend is one of the admissions committee members for a local PA school. Openly stating that they have said they will do what they can to get them in.

2 - Has openly stated that they are going to pay someone to write their narrative.

3 - Has openly stated a questionable past with regards to acquisition of good/passing/A grades from male professors and says that they'll do the same to get key letters of recommendation.

I have faith that my performance will get me in this year. However, it's more than a little disgusting to think that this person could take a seat from someone who's worked their tail off to get where they're at.

Rant over.

Hola,

Overheard a conversation a couple of weeks ago and it's just sad. Classmate is applying to PA school this year and has little direct HCE (<500 hours) and as such is calling in the favors. What do I mean?

1 - Family friend is one of the admissions committee members for a local PA school. Openly stating that they have said they will do what they can to get them in.

2 - Has openly stated that they are going to pay someone to write their narrative.

3 - Has openly stated a questionable past with regards to acquisition of good/passing/A grades from male professors and says that they'll do the same to get key letters of recommendation.

I have faith that my performance will get me in this year. However, it's more than a little disgusting to think that this person could take a seat from someone who's worked their tail off to get where they're at.

Rant over.

Trust in "The Force" or karma, or whatever. If he is really doing what you overheard, his day of reconning is coming soon enough. Unless he's Rodney Dangerfield in "Back to School" he'll be taking his own tests!

As my track coach used to say, "Run your own race." Good luck!

Trust in "The Force" or karma, or whatever. If he is really doing what you overheard, his day of reconning is coming soon enough. Unless he's Rodney Dangerfield in "Back to School" he'll be taking his own tests!

As my track coach used to say, "Run your own race." Good luck!

I know it's frustrating. Just like you have people who allow others, or even help them, get away with things you also have those with integrity who throw them out of the class with an F and a letter of academic dishonesty or tell the truth in their reference letters. Hopefully this person is just a big talker and won't get any kind of unfair advantage over others, but my bigger concern would be if there is really an admissions person influencing others to take someone as a personal favor. I think with the obvious conflict of interest they should inform the rest of the committee that they can't be a part of the decision on that person. Unfortunately none of us can make someone else do the right thing.

If you do somehow have evidence that people at your school are giving better grades to students in exchange for something inappropriate report the suspicion so the school can investigate it. Keep in mind that this is a very serious accusation, so overhearing something an obviously dishonest person said may not be enough to risk ruining someone's career.

I know it's frustrating. Just like you have people who allow others, or even help them, get away with things you also have those with integrity who throw them out of the class with an F and a letter of academic dishonesty or tell the truth in their reference letters. Hopefully this person is just a big talker and won't get any kind of unfair advantage over others, but my bigger concern would be if there is really an admissions person influencing others to take someone as a personal favor. I think with the obvious conflict of interest they should inform the rest of the committee that they can't be a part of the decision on that person. Unfortunately none of us can make someone else do the right thing.

If you do somehow have evidence that people at your school are giving better grades to students in exchange for something inappropriate report the suspicion so the school can investigate it. Keep in mind that this is a very serious accusation, so overhearing something an obviously dishonest person said may not be enough to risk ruining someone's career.

The frustration doesn't end here. Once in school you will see plenty of *** kissing, personal favors, inside insights from 2nd year students that only some 1st years get, etc ad naseum.

It's time to grow up. Focus on yourself, ignore others, and do what you came here to do. I am not trying to be rude but just give it to you straight. If you let everyone who has some unfair advantage over you bother you, you will be one helliciously bothered person my friend. Again, not trying to be rude, as I can relate and I used to get peeved seeing people get better results than me through working not as hard as me due to random inside advantages. But I got over it, and you need to as well in order to get ahead in life. And besides, when all is said and done, those who came up without any special help typically end up on top, IMHO.

The frustration doesn't end here. Once in school you will see plenty of *** kissing, personal favors, inside insights from 2nd year students that only some 1st years get, etc ad naseum.

It's time to grow up. Focus on yourself, ignore others, and do what you came here to do. I am not trying to be rude but just give it to you straight. If you let everyone who has some unfair advantage over you bother you, you will be one helliciously bothered person my friend. Again, not trying to be rude, as I can relate and I used to get peeved seeing people get better results than me through working not as hard as me due to random inside advantages. But I got over it, and you need to as well in order to get ahead in life. And besides, when all is said and done, those who came up without any special help typically end up on top, IMHO.

I concur with winter, we all learn at different time, and it is a good lesson by all. It is good that you learned this NOW as opposed to being in the real world and being a REAL PA instead of what you are now and being a PA-S.

Learn the mistake of others - you can never live long enough to make them all YOURSELF.

I concur with winter, we all learn at different time, and it is a good lesson by all. It is good that you learned this NOW as opposed to being in the real world and being a REAL PA instead of what you are now and being a PA-S.

Learn the mistake of others - you can never live long enough to make them all YOURSELF.

Well, I hate to say this but more than likely he will get in and become a PA before the people who have busted their balls to do so. I have been in the health field too long to know it's not what you know but who, this includes doctors, NP, PA, and even administrative jobs. I wish it wasn't so, but that's how the world works "Don't believe, otherwise or you will be angry, disgusted and disappointed in life.".

Well, I hate to say this but more than likely he will get in and become a PA before the people who have busted their balls to do so. I have been in the health field too long to know it's not what you know but who, this includes doctors, NP, PA, and even administrative jobs. I wish it wasn't so, but that's how the world works "Don't believe, otherwise or you will be angry, disgusted and disappointed in life.".

You will also experience this when you hopefully get in. Student A oh I just started studying for the cardio exam last night and the test is two days away while you may have been studying for several days. What matters is you and only you, I have learned this the hard way this semester. I studied in undergrad and I don't read it and just get it like some of my other classmates, but guess what? As long as I am learning the material and I pass I don't care anymore. You really just have to focus on you and ignore the rest.

You will also experience this when you hopefully get in. Student A oh I just started studying for the cardio exam last night and the test is two days away while you may have been studying for several days. What matters is you and only you, I have learned this the hard way this semester. I studied in undergrad and I don't read it and just get it like some of my other classmates, but guess what? As long as I am learning the material and I pass I don't care anymore. You really just have to focus on you and ignore the rest.

Hola,

Rant over.

Do you know how this could be avoided?

By networking.

Then you become that person that someone else is on here complaining about.

Archived