Asked to take call

I received an email from our clinic director that there is a push to have PA/ARNP continuity practices to start taking call in the call schedule for their respective clinic. Our organization has never had PA's take call before in the 15 years I have been there. I work in a multispecialty clinic consisting of FP, IM, and peds.

A few questions to the crowd...

Anyone else take call in a primary care practice?

I get paid on a production/RVU basis, and this would be work that I has not been addressed in terms of compensation, etc. I would be doing exactly what our MD providers are doing now work-wise at the clinic.

Any thoughts?

I received an email from our clinic director that there is a push to have PA/ARNP continuity practices to start taking call in the call schedule for their respective clinic. Our organization has never had PA's take call before in the 15 years I have been there. I work in a multispecialty clinic consisting of FP, IM, and peds.

A few questions to the crowd...

Anyone else take call in a primary care practice?

I get paid on a production/RVU basis, and this would be work that I has not been addressed in terms of compensation, etc. I would be doing exactly what our MD providers are doing now work-wise at the clinic.

Any thoughts?

Best plan, I think, is continued RVU recoupment for all after hours work product, including phone calls, call in rx, etc... PLUS a nightly on call rate, say $300/night 6p-7p.

This would( should, at least) necessitate an addendum to your contract, signed by the practice and yourself as this changes he conditions of your work arrangement.

Good luck.

Best plan, I think, is continued RVU recoupment for all after hours work product, including phone calls, call in rx, etc... PLUS a nightly on call rate, say $300/night 6p-7p.

This would( should, at least) necessitate an addendum to your contract, signed by the practice and yourself as this changes he conditions of your work arrangement.

Good luck.

I take call in FP. I don't receive extra compensation. I consider it a perk, personally. We are a small clinic (good volume tho, approx 50-60 pts per day) with only two providers and primarily see underserved low-income individuals, so I consider it my volunteer duty as well as good experience (it will also be a point of reference on any future interviews). Probably a different situation than yours. Or I'm getting screwed over lol. One of the two, who knows. Honestly, I'm payed alright so I'm fine with it from that end.

I take call in FP. I don't receive extra compensation. I consider it a perk, personally. We are a small clinic (good volume tho, approx 50-60 pts per day) with only two providers and primarily see underserved low-income individuals, so I consider it my volunteer duty as well as good experience (it will also be a point of reference on any future interviews). Probably a different situation than yours. Or I'm getting screwed over lol. One of the two, who knows. Honestly, I'm payed alright so I'm fine with it from that end.

DO NOT DO IT WITH OUT PAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the new way practices are taking advantage of PAs

Doc's have long taken the call but they are compensated for it. Then someone gets the idea to force the PA to do it and tada the doc is less stressed (it is really a HUGE quality of life issue) with out costing the clinic any more money.

Concur that you will do it, but not for free as it is time away from your own plans and schedules.

I think the easiest formula i have seen is 1/4 a days pay for a non holiday week night (5pm to 8am Mon-Thursday)

Then weekend Friday-Mon AM needs to be determined

PLEASE DO NOT DO IT FOR FREE you hurt everyone else out there if you do this.

Just politely decline doing it unless their is compensation involved. The first time you wife is pissed at the calls in the middle of the night you will truly understand that you should be paid for call......

DO NOT DO IT WITH OUT PAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the new way practices are taking advantage of PAs

Doc's have long taken the call but they are compensated for it. Then someone gets the idea to force the PA to do it and tada the doc is less stressed (it is really a HUGE quality of life issue) with out costing the clinic any more money.

Concur that you will do it, but not for free as it is time away from your own plans and schedules.

I think the easiest formula i have seen is 1/4 a days pay for a non holiday week night (5pm to 8am Mon-Thursday)

Then weekend Friday-Mon AM needs to be determined

PLEASE DO NOT DO IT FOR FREE you hurt everyone else out there if you do this.

Just politely decline doing it unless their is compensation involved. The first time you wife is pissed at the calls in the middle of the night you will truly understand that you should be paid for call......

300/call shift would be great but doubt anyone would pay that. for 300 bucks they could get someone in the clinic at 50/hr for 6 hrs....

the primary care PAs at my rural job take call for min. compensation and are on the clock if they come in to do an admit or something....last time I took call 10 yrs ago I got 5 dollars/hr to carry the pager and 1.5x base pay if I came in and got paid a min of 3 hrs...I think you might realistically ask for 10/hr and 1.5x base pay if you came in. if it is phone calls only 120 bucks for 12 hrs from home isn't too bad to answer a few questions or call in an rx or 2.

300/call shift would be great but doubt anyone would pay that. for 300 bucks they could get someone in the clinic at 50/hr for 6 hrs....

the primary care PAs at my rural job take call for min. compensation and are on the clock if they come in to do an admit or something....last time I took call 10 yrs ago I got 5 dollars/hr to carry the pager and 1.5x base pay if I came in and got paid a min of 3 hrs...I think you might realistically ask for 10/hr and 1.5x base pay if you came in. if it is phone calls only 120 bucks for 12 hrs from home isn't too bad to answer a few questions or call in an rx or 2.

I'm coming from the fire service to PA where we had union strength and followed all sorts of labor laws; OT, on-call where your tied to a pager, call-back, etc. FLSA is a big labor component.

Now I will need to learn private sector employee work rights. How does FLSA, for example, come into play for the OP's, and PAs in general, position?

I'm coming from the fire service to PA where we had union strength and followed all sorts of labor laws; OT, on-call where your tied to a pager, call-back, etc. FLSA is a big labor component.

Now I will need to learn private sector employee work rights. How does FLSA, for example, come into play for the OP's, and PAs in general, position?

Union rules do not apply in most states, tho in some states, if you are an employee, you might get OT for >40 hours week.

Workmanship comp depends on size of your employers company( not all have it). Many employers consider time off,vacations, health care, dental care, optic care, retirement, etc as be benefits either they offer, or not.

I hope this won't be too great a shock!

Union rules do not apply in most states, tho in some states, if you are an employee, you might get OT for >40 hours week.

Workmanship comp depends on size of your employers company( not all have it). Many employers consider time off,vacations, health care, dental care, optic care, retirement, etc as be benefits either they offer, or not.

I hope this won't be too great a shock!

Archived