USCG direct commission PA program

Has anyone gone this route? The research I've done turns up very little on the CG website and when I spoke with the PA recruiter, the only info I gleaned was that its very limited and only used when their internal program doesnt meet their needs.

If anyone has any additional information on what your role as a CG PA is, what additional training is required after and the salary and tuition reimbursement.

Feel free to PM!

Thx

I looked into reserves a few years ago

You get a commission as an officer - rank and pays based on PA but you are a "line officer" in that they have no medical corps. You cross train to also be mngt of the unit. Strange that I would have gone in as an O-4 yet had no experience in the unit.... not sure if Active Duty is the same thought.

US Public Health does provide some of their staffing but I think they also have some of their own....

post any info you find out!

• 3 months later...

I know this thread is a few months old, but I went this route. I went from civilian practice with no prior military experience to USCG O2. I attended the 5 week DCO course and have been working for the last 6 months at a field office (clinic). Our doctors are USPHS. Our PAs are mostly USCG with some USPHS. We also utilize contracted and GS PAs and NPs. So far my only regret is I didn't do this sooner!

• 2 weeks later...

CG deployments will depend somewhat based on if you are in active duty or reserve status. Active duty PAs may go on a polar ice breaker for 6 months, on an out of hemisphere cutter, or as medical support for a foreign or domestic incident. Reserve PAs tend to be with the PSUs and are likely to see far off places for up to a year or more. You have to remember that you would be considered worldwide deployable and that the needs of the service ultimately dictate when and where you get deployed. If you can't live with that uncertainty then you may need to consider other options.

CG deployments will depend somewhat based on if you are in active duty or reserve status. Active duty PAs may go on a polar ice breaker for 6 months, on an out of hemisphere cutter, or as medical support for a foreign or domestic incident. Reserve PAs tend to be with the PSUs and are likely to see far off places for up to a year or more. You have to remember that you would be considered worldwide deployable and that the needs of the service ultimately dictate when and where you get deployed. If you can't live with that uncertainty then you may need to consider other options.

this is the reason I did not join the USCG

It was with a PSU and would have come in a O-4 due to experience - BUT they said I would be deployed for up to a year at a time to the sand box..... would sort of kill life at home so didn't do it.

• 2 weeks later...

As a PA, you are highly likely to deploy in any of the services - AF included. I know of several reservists and active duty folks who had their schools payed for, but as soon as they were done they were mobilized and utilized immediately. Working with a PSU would be very rewarding. I did some shadowing with a couple PSU PAs and the camaraderie between the crew is terrific. PSUs typically deploy every few years and often have smaller deployments between the larger ones. If you don't have any desire to deploy, you should try the active duty route. Many active duty PAs work in clinics and never set foot on a boat or in the desert.

Archived