Permethrin and kidney function?

Anyone experience using permethrin topical 5% for scabies and a subsequent increase in creatinine or decrease in gfr in an otherwise healthy young male adult after just one application? Just a shot in the dark. Creatinine 1.57 GFR non aa 52. No complaints other than some nasal congestion and intermittent dry cough for a few days.

Usually reports GFR >60 and creatinine trending from 1.4 to 1.1 over past 4-5 yrs?

I know it can happen with Lindane, in which about 10% of the topical dose is absorbed and later cleared renally about 5 days later (assuming normal renal function). This is a much bigger concern with little people and immature kidneys and there is a warning for systemic toxicity in infants, children and pregnant women. I imagine the process with permethrin is similar and it is probably also renally cleared. I think it's prudent just to have him hydrate well and recheck in a month.

How big is he (would you expect his Cr to be higher because he has a lot of muscle mass)? Probably worth checking a UA with micro (although normal UA wouldn't rule out disease). The difference between 1.4 mg/dL and 1.57 mg/dL probably isn't a big deal, but if he has gone from 1.1 to 1.57 mg/dL in a fairly linear fashion over 4-5 yrs I would worried about underlying progressive kidney disease of some sort.

This guy is pretty muscle bound, former college athlete and still strength trains, 6'2 210. Of course that rationale went through my head but I don't really have enough experience to know whether the whole "higher muscle mass" and increased creatinine theory holds true. I treated him for cellulitis maybe 4 months ago and his creatinine was 1.1. The reason I redrew a cmp this time around is cause 4 months ago his lfts were a little elevated. I suspected because of the antibiotics I put him on. He never came back for a repeat lab but since he was here the other day I was able to draw it on him. His lfts as I suspected were perfect. I did a quick urine dip which was normal.

Overall it seems from his past that his creatinine jumps around, the highest being the last time of 1.57. Does anyone else see healthy muscular males with these up and down labs? Once again, I just don't have the experience or the interest right now to be analyzing something obscure like this. I just wanna make sure I treat him as I should.

He takes no other meds aside from multivitamin, omega3, vit D and green tea.

"This guy is pretty muscle bound"

Does he take PO creatine and is it possible this may affect his serum creatinine? :) Or any other dietary supplement to increase protein, could these affect his serum creatinine?

It is not uncommon for people working on their muscles to take creatine or other protein supplements... I am completely unfamiliar with how they affect chemistries or are cleared.

Also if he works out strenously and you check his labs right after, it may be possible theoretically that more creatinine is released into the blood due to the stress/lifting of weights from muscle breakdown?

Archived