Hello pre-pa! How does Gross Anatomy/physiology compare to organic chem 1 n 2 ?

It can depend on a number of factors: the rigor of your program/school, professors, class size, etc. But from my experience, I'd say O-chem was a bit tougher because it was like learning a new language which keeps building. Lots of reactions/reagents/rules to memorize. I'm a bio person so I enjoyed physio/anatomy. Guess that made it easier..

I'm taking upper division physiology and I have taken a&p 1 and 2 already. Physiology is more in depth than ap2, but the general topics are the same. As far as bio classes versus chemistry.....bio seems to be less time consuming. It's understanding ideas and processes vs memorizing formulas and rules.

I thought that anatomy was tougher than O-chem because of the volume of information per unit time. It too, however, was memorization. Physiology, to me, was easier because the body's functions are, while involved, more machine-like and I didn't just have to memorize. Patho was in between because there are so many disease states to learn.

It depends on the individuals. A&P is pure memorization something I am good at and Aced A&P along with neuroanatomy, but as for ochem it's not just memorization - not that it's hard but I'd say it takes a tad more time to be successful in this because it requires more than memorizing. I received a B in ochem and that was while taking 20 credits all upper-lvl science, so you can easily get an A if most of your time is dedicated towards it, I crammed the night before each exam. - Do not recommend, I've gotten use to it

Nah I dont cram. Im pretty dedicated, but I dont think I could handle 20 credits of high level science courses!

No idea how anyone can memorize 290+ muscles, origins, insertions, and actions the night before a written practical with models!

I got A's in A&P I and II. A&P is all about memorization while chemistry is memorization + math + applying concepts. Two completely different fields imo. I'm having a hard time in general chemistry II right now but currently have an A.

Yea you wouldn't have to worry about math for ochem courses. The most math you'll need to do is figuring out the degrees of saturation which is basic arithmetic.

Nah I dont cram. Im pretty dedicated, but I dont think I could handle 20 credits of high level science courses!

No idea how anyone can memorize 290+ muscles, origins, insertions, and actions the night before a written practical with models!

Well leading up to the day of cramming I would be vaguely familiar with the material from listening and not so much of note taking, it's not straight cramming from nothing. But, then again most still can't even do that and would require studying everyday leading up to the exam. Again, everyone is different and have various jobs/responsibilities that may play an important factor in time management.

Gross/Physiology are totally different courses than Orgo. I would def say Gross>Phys>Orgo I&II. I've heard the opposite for other people though. I'm a visual person and don't like brute memorization and so Orgo was a breeze because it was all conceptual.

It also depends where you take Gross at. I took it with DPT, Med, Chiro, and Dental students and it was definitely the most time consuming course I've ever taken. For each lecture exams 80-100 pg study guide, single-spaced and they would ask a question from any sentence in that guide. Just brutal memorization. But it should be hard because anatomy is the basis for understanding how to do a proper physical exam.

Gross/Physiology are totally different courses than Orgo. I would def say Gross>Phys>Orgo I&II. I've heard the opposite for other people though. I'm a visual person and don't like brute memorization and so Orgo was a breeze because it was all conceptual.

It also depends where you take Gross at. I took it with DPT, Med, Chiro, and Dental students and it was definitely the most time consuming course I've ever taken. For each lecture exams 80-100 pg study guide, single-spaced and they would ask a question from any sentence in that guide. Just brutal memorization. But it should be hard because anatomy is the basis for understanding how to do a proper physical exam.

80-100pg ? How many chapters was that? That seems like a lot of information for 1 test!

In AP1 we had to go through about 30 pages of condensed notes, same single spaced small typed hah, (where you needed the book for it to make sense) for each lecture exam and there were about 5 lecture exams, and and additional 4 practicals. The lecture exams were primarily physiology, and function where as the practicals were just memorizing things like regions, bones, muscles. Bones included all the bone markings, and muscles included insertions, origins, and actions. It looks like I have to look forward to all of it again since the pre-pa program I have applied to does not want to accept my AP1 and AP2 credits as majors (even though I got (will get) A's on both).

IMO Ap2 is easier since I have a better grip on terminology and we are going back to some things we covered in ap1. Still requires a ton of studying. AP1, biology was all new to me.

I'm taking upper division physiology and I have taken a&p 1 and 2 already. Physiology is more in depth than ap2, but the general topics are the same. As far as bio classes versus chemistry.....bio seems to be less time consuming. It's understanding ideas and processes vs memorizing formulas and rules.

Thats great information. When you say upper division physiology, what exactly is that if you dont mind me asking? From what I can tell my Gross Anatomy class will be 200 level (so is the physiology). The AP1 and AP2 courses are also both 200 level courses.

Thats great information. When you say upper division physiology, what exactly is that if you dont mind me asking? From what I can tell my Gross Anatomy class will be 200 level (so is the physiology). The AP1 and AP2 courses are also both 200 level courses.

Archived