We had to answer four questions in our statement with a 1500 character limit that included punctuation. These were my four answers, each question will be read by a separate person on the selections committee.

Discuss a personal experience that has shaped the person that you are. How has it changed you?

Deciding to join the Army and become first an infantry medic and then progressing to become an Army Flight Paramedic has had the greatest impact on my life. Loyalty, duty, respect, selfless-service, honor, integrity, and personal courage may only be words to some people. To me they represent the values that I lived for 24 years of military service and continue to live by today. I was fortunate in my career to have leaders that saw the potential I possessed mentally, and physically, I was constantly challenged to become better than I had been as a soldier, medic and eventually a leader. I was selected ahead of my peers to attend the Advanced Medical Non-Commissioned Officer Course, before being promoted to Sergeant. I rose to the challenge and I graduated in the top 10% of my class. I completed and became certified as an Emergency Medical Technician Basic and Paramedic level provider ten years before the Army required Basic EMT certification for its medics. I completed Flight Medic School and was the distinguished honor graduate of my class. I also attended the Joint Enroute Care Course which is the Army equivalent of a critical care course for Flight Surgeons, Nurses, and Medics. My medical skills were honed during combat deployments treating patients as the primary medical provider on a medevac helicopter. I feel the Army has changed me in that I am driven to succeed and will always give 100% effort to accomplish everything I do.

How do you resolve conflict at work, at school or at home? Provide an example to illustrate.

One of my responsibilities as a Senior Non Commissioned Officer in the Army involved resolving conflict between subordinates, peers, and on a few occasions’ superiors. I strive to resolve conflicts so that both parties feel their needs have been met. To illustrate; while I was the Platoon Sergeant (Sgt.) in a Medevac Company one of my peers, the maintenance Platoon Sergeant came to me upset. The Sgt. was short 6 mechanics necessary to perform maintenance on the aircraft and was working until after ten at night. Almost half of my soldiers were mechanics that performed as aircraft crew chiefs (ACC). My peer felt that it was unfair that I had the resources that he felt he needed and wanted to have six of my ACC’s transferred to him until replacements arrived to fill his shortage. I felt that I needed all of my ACC’s , but I realized the distribution of work in its current state was unfair. I prioritized the maintenance needs of my Platoon which allowed me to provide additional staff for the maintenance platoon. The compromise allowed him the use of six of my ACC’s until he received replacements for his shortage and in return his platoon would assist mine in grounds maintenance. He received the extra help he needed and I received assistance for my responsibilities. This allowed both of us to achieve our common goal of supporting our mission. When conflict arises I try to collaborate with others to find our common goal for a win-win solution.

Explain how you feel about the role of the Physician Assistant being a dependent practitioner?

Performing as a dependent practitioner is a role I have performed as an Army medic and flight paramedic. A flight paramedic’s scope of practice is set by written protocols and supervised by a physician who is a Flight Surgeon and the medical director for the company. Being a new paramedic to the unit, the flight surgeon would be present at any medical evaluations I and other new paramedics went through so he knew we would be assets to the company.. Through collaboration and open communication I developed a bond of trust between the medical director and myself as he became more and more confident in my skills and knowledge. The director learned that I would always act in the best interest of my patients, and I would not jeopardize his trust in me, or my patient’s lives. Because of this I was allowed more and more autonomy and a wider scope of practice than most of my peers. I have discussed this with PA’s and learned the process is very similar for them when working for a new physician. While they do not have to undergo hands on evaluations by the physician, they are evaluated in the quality of patient care rendered, usually by record audits or observation during patient contacts.. To me this seems perfectly rational as a dependent practitioner; the physician must have complete confidence in my skills, knowledge, and integrity to be truthful with him in everything involved in caring for those that need help.

Identify a weakness in your personality and explain how it might impact your learning and performance in the Physician Assistant Education Program?

My personality is to be competitive with myself and to push myself which can be a weakness because I have to work to find a balance in life. As a student I am devoted to reading ahead and completing assignments well before they are due. I tend to be very hard on myself when I score less than I feel I am capable of. As a soldier I often faced situations where it would have been easy to give up but this drive helped me succeed individually and more importantly as part of a team, I find that I can help others achieve their goals and they can help me see a bigger picture. While operating a medical clinic for Afghan children I faced a situation where it seemed we were unable to meet the demand with the resources we had. I didn’t want to stop for any break but realized that I also needed to be at my best in order to help others. My team and I were able to work together to see all of the patients while maintaining our quality of care and our own health. This trait will impact my performance because I will be 100% dedicated to the program and will be focused on learning as much as I can while working with others. I believe that I will contribute a breadth of experience and different perspective to the learning process that will help my fellow students and hope they can do the same for me.

Thank you for any comments

Discuss a personal experience that has shaped the person that you are. How has it changed you?

I like it but I'm not sure if they want a more specific experience. Yours is very general and explains your entire professional life. Again, well written, just not sure its answering the question well.

How do you resolve conflict at work, at school or at home? Provide an example to illustrate.

Really good

"few occasions’ superiors" doesn't need the ', if anything a comma.

Explain how you feel about the role of the Physician Assistant being a dependent practitioner?

Sixth line down, you have two periods.

Within that same sentence instead of "I and and other new...." use "myself and other new..."

Identify a weakness in your personality and explain how it might impact your learning and performance in the Physician Assistant Education Program?

Not sure it is a good weakness to use. Although it can be a weakness I think it may fall under the "perfectionist" category where admission people don't like hearing about it. Maybe own up to another one and talk about what you've done to overcome the weakness.

Everything was really well thought out and articulated. I like reading posts like this because it helps me out a lot. Hopefully I helped a little.

• 1 month later...

Archived