Can I get into PA school

Re-reading my post I didn't do a good job of saying what I meant. I think you should try to become a PA. I have the same plans, and I'm not much older than you (22). I won't be applying till next year though; the schools I'm looking at require 1000 HCE, so I want to be as competitive as possible when I apply. Bad college stats aren't holding me back either;cGPA 3.75, sGPA 3.58, honor's program, research papers, everyday I get emails about awards and silly ceremonies I'm invited to.

My take home point was meant to be; be ready to be rejected. I think you can be a great PA, and that you will make it (eventually). You have the ability to make yourself a very competitive applicant. Find the schools that you really want to go to, that will be best for you, and that will allow you to live a happy life. I suppose you could still apply this year, but my advice would be to wait. Or apply to only local schools, think of it as a practice run application year.

If it helps I'll say why at 22 I want PA > MD. The changes in healthcare seem to be targeting physicians, and the MDs I've talked to say being a physician will still be a great career, but there are so many uncertainties. I wouldn't have any support from my parents (fiscally or emotionally) so everything would be on me. As a PA I could practice earlier, ie make money sooner and invest it wisely. I know money isn't everything, but if I'm going to sacrifice my life to medicine, I'd at least not feel suicidal under 300k+ of debt for most my life. I don't worry about the 'glass ceiling' and lack of respect. There will always be people that don't respect me, and PAs still get to do amazing things in medicine, just have to know to stay within your scope of practice.

Hope this somewhat helped you Torshi. Sorry for my atrocious grammar and run on sentences. Had a 12 hour day at hospital, tutored, and then completed my own lab report >.<

I've researching PA and MD quite a bit (basically any free chance I get lol). So if you have any questions I will try to help. Sorry for my early assumptions and negative attitude (I'll use my fatigue as an excuse).

Thanks and good luck on pursuing your goals. Also, good plan as to when you plan on applying and after thoughtful consideration, I might just apply local considering Texas has to accept 90% of their applicants, but then again I'm not betting on an acceptance, would be great of course, but no matter what my plan is to pursue hands-on HCE during my time off and probably a masters that I have always been interested in - maybe.

My advice to you- Don't be in a rush. I am currently working on my second application to PA school and learned this lesson the hard way. I didn't quite understand how important HCE is when applying. It will not only help you stand out from other applicants, but in the end HCE is what is going to make you a great provider. That is why the schools require that you have this experience. Even if schools aren't listing it as a requirement there will still be other applicants that have over 1,000 hours and this will impress the admissions committee. You do have a great research background and a wonderful GPA. But if applying without HCE committees are going to ask you why you aren't applying to med school. Your answer to this question when posed by others was honest, but that's not going to leave the right impression with an admissions committee.

I really didn't want to take a year off of school before attending PA school but sometimes it can be much more beneficial than someone thinks.

My advice to you would be to apply this cycle but realize that your lack of HCE might hold you back from being accepted this time around. In the meantime I would work on obtaining health care hours, and spend a lot of time shadowing some PAs.

If your desire is to become a PA and be the best provider that you can be then you really need to focus not only on obtaining HCE but obtaining it in a field that will allow you to learn A LOT.

Ok here's my advice..

I really think that you shouldn't rush into applying the upcoming cycle. I think taking a year off to get some quality HCE and get a good GRE score will definitely benefit you greatly. Getting accepted to PA school is EXTREMELY competitive. Most applicants will have stellar GPA's, but you've got other factors into the equation (HCE, GRE.etc). And believe me sometimes the minimum HCE requirement doesn't gaurantee admission, since many applicants will have thousands of hours. Also, don't apply to 20+ schools. In my opinion it's a huge waste of money (esp if you don't have enough HCE to begin with). I myself only applied to 2 schools I was interested in, made sure I nailed all their requirements with regards to GPA, pre-req's, GRE, HCE hours, etc.. and got accepted to both. You're better off doing it that way (esp if you take a year off to get HCE) because not only it's costly, but also it's a very lengthy process esp since every school also has a second supplemental application in addition to CASPA AND you really need to be familiar with each school's program/cirriculum/mission etc (very important for the interview part). That's my 2 cents :) and also wish u best of luck.

Thank you for your response, but I've always been attracted to the med field, I had interest in med school years back, but I decided that furthering my education towards med school is not for me. I would rather pursue and MPA, MBA or of the alike etc down the road due to personal interest. I feel like being a PA will provide me with the healthcare exp I wanted without the years of unwanted schooling while also being still young having time to volunteer abroad, pursue higher education of interest. I'm not willing to make the med school sacrifice.

I understand that you feel my responses have been demeaning. While it is not my intent to be a schmuck, I don't apologize for my words.

In your own words here you admit medicine is not your primary passion. You choose words that highlight your passion for MPA, MBA or of the like. You paint a picture of being a PA as a hobby that will let you check a box without having to sacrifice only to later return to school to pursue higher education of interest.

I am passionate about the privalage of being allowed into patients' lives to aid them in improving the quality and longevity of their life. I see it is an advocation and a very common phrase in PA school is about being the life long learner. The goal is to be a provider that is focused on that task and not just biding their time until something better comes along.

You are obviously gifted academically and I hope like crazy you dedicate your energy to something that is a passion for you. If you cannot yet decide what that is then perhaps taking a few years working in a supprt role to gain a better focus would be beneficial.

I understand that you feel my responses have been demeaning. While it is not my intent to be a schmuck, I don't apologize for my words.

In your own words here you admit medicine is not your primary passion. You choose words that highlight your passion for MPA, MBA or of the like. You paint a picture of being a PA as a hobby that will let you check a box without having to sacrifice only to later return to school to pursue higher education of interest.

I am passionate about the privalage of being allowed into patients' lives to aid them in improving the quality and longevity of their life. I see it is an advocation and a very common phrase in PA school is about being the life long learner. The goal is to be a provider that is focused on that task and not just biding their time until something better comes along.

You are obviously gifted academically and I hope like crazy you dedicate your energy to something that is a passion for you. If you cannot yet decide what that is then perhaps taking a few years working in a supprt role to gain a better focus would be beneficial.

Thanks for the input, and I will definitely try to expose myself even more, but I'd still have to disagree as to thinking my passion is more directed towards an MPA, MBA etc rather than medicine in general. I don't see it as an issue to pursue these degrees no matter what field, because if one holds interest it doesn't necessarily mean I'm not passionate about medicine, it would allow me to maybe function at a higher-level in the healthcare field - not that I'm saying I want to be a healthcare administrator instead. Many individuals pursue other degrees during there career, and I shouldn't be the exception giving this notion that because I would pursue another degree possibly that I would treat my future PA career as a hobby.

At the end of the day medicine is all I know. No one in my family or close relatives exist in the field, most are all engineers. I feel drawn to the field due to satisfaction and all the things you mentioned above, and at the same time I view being a PA the best route to fulfill this desire. I can't picture myself doing anything else, I can't wrap my head around doing something more clerical or business like, but the education that helps to run non-profits, healthcare management could act as a contributing factor while also being a PA.

You need to have direct patient care experience. Not having this under your belt is equally a weak point in your application as having ... a weak GPA per say.

Honestly, it sounds or feels like you can make due w/o doing this because you feel confident of the other aspects of your application but think about doing it for yourself. Schools require you to have this experience not because they think it would be good for them, but its because it shows a more serious candidate passionate about becoming a PA. Patient care experience molds someone and by the time you have enough hours, they see it as a sign that you are more serious about applying.

You will learn a lot from this experience. You might even reconsider the health field or might consider being more than a PA such as MD. I can't emphasize how vital this is. Not only for schools but for yourself.

I highly recommend you going through EMT-B training, obtaining a certification and volunteering at your local ambulance corps.

Archived