4 vs. 5 year undergrad

I am finishing my first two years of a Biology Bachelor's this term. I will end up with a lackluster 2.76. I did the math and if I get A's from here on out I have a maximum possible GPA of 3.34. In order to get my GPA up I was considering spending 3 years doing my last two years of upper division classes. I figure this way I will have more time to make sure I get A's instead of B's. I am just wondering if PA programs will look down upon this or not. Does anyone have any information on that?

Thanks, Josh

I am finishing my first two years of a Biology Bachelor's this term. I will end up with a lackluster 2.76. I did the math and if I get A's from here on out I have a maximum possible GPA of 3.34. In order to get my GPA up I was considering spending 3 years doing my last two years of upper division classes. I figure this way I will have more time to make sure I get A's instead of B's. I am just wondering if PA programs will look down upon this or not. Does anyone have any information on that?

Thanks, Josh

I don't know from personal experience, but I would imagine that it wouldn't look good. You are going to be taking 18+ credits per semester of harder sciences in PA school, and so if you have to spread out your classes in undergrad to do well, that would not look favorably. Also, I'm not exactly sure how you would be able to explain that during an interview either. My recommendation would be to figure out what is holding you back. Are you studying enough? Are you studying in the right way? Have you tried other study techniques, tutors, etc? Do you have too many non-school things on your plate to put your attention where it needs to be?

I don't know from personal experience, but I would imagine that it wouldn't look good. You are going to be taking 18+ credits per semester of harder sciences in PA school, and so if you have to spread out your classes in undergrad to do well, that would not look favorably. Also, I'm not exactly sure how you would be able to explain that during an interview either. My recommendation would be to figure out what is holding you back. Are you studying enough? Are you studying in the right way? Have you tried other study techniques, tutors, etc? Do you have too many non-school things on your plate to put your attention where it needs to be?

Most of it is from years ago (2005-2006). When I got back into school in 2011 I had a GPA of 2.1, I raised it a bit getting B's and C's. I've stepped up more this year and got B's and A's. I retook some of the classes, but when I transfer to the 4-year university the grades didn't replace the old ones so my GPA is 0.26 lower than what I had at community college. At this point I just want to make sure I can get my GPA as high as I can.

Most of it is from years ago (2005-2006). When I got back into school in 2011 I had a GPA of 2.1, I raised it a bit getting B's and C's. I've stepped up more this year and got B's and A's. I retook some of the classes, but when I transfer to the 4-year university the grades didn't replace the old ones so my GPA is 0.26 lower than what I had at community college. At this point I just want to make sure I can get my GPA as high as I can.

Archived