Low GPA - Severe Personal Tragedy

Hi there

I had a question about a low GPA post I saw earlier. I am trying to gather information in order to attend PA school. I am interviewing with SJVC next month and though I have a low overall GPA - it's because of a personal tragedy during my sophomore year that killed everything. I graduated in 2006 but went back to retake some courses that had expired and have a 4.0 post-bac GPA (with almost 30 hours of A's all in science courses).

Do the schools look at improved post bac or is my low GPA going to kill my chances of getting in anywhere?

I did offer an explanation in my personal statement about the low GPA but for 2 schools so far I got rejected - which is so disheartening as some things happen in life and you can't control them and they don't reflect how hard one has worked to overcome these difficult times.

Good news is they are interested enough to interview you. So obviously they think you are good enough on paper to enter their program. Look... Life happens and you can't go back and undo what went wrong. You can only move forward. So when they ask you in your interview "I noticed your grades are X... What happened?" Just be honest and acknowledge what happened, take accountability for what happened, tell them what you did to correct it (retook my classes), and what the results were (I got a 4.0). It worked for me and I hope it works for you.

Best of luck!

• Administrator

You don't provide enough information here. Your 4.0 post-bacc is irrelevant. Your previous GPA is also, for the most part, irrelevant. The CASPA-calculated (or calculated in that manner) GPA is the thing you need to worry about to pass the basic hurdle, "Will my application be read?". If you've gotten an interview, you've passed that and have a shot.

• Administrator

You don't provide enough information here. Your 4.0 post-bacc is irrelevant. Your previous GPA is also, for the most part, irrelevant. The CASPA-calculated (or calculated in that manner) GPA is the thing you need to worry about to pass the basic hurdle, "Will my application be read?". If you've gotten an interview, you've passed that and have a shot.

Archived