San Joaquin Community EMPA residency

I'm looking at post-grad options and have been unable to find much about this program. I tried the search feature on this site and haven't seen it mentioned at all. Their website leads me to believe that it is a solid program, but it's always nice to hear from those with direct experience. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize that the program was so new. I'm pretty familiar with the AARMC program having done a rotation there, but was just wondering how the experience would compare at SJCH. I asked a few question via the contact person on the SJCH website but the reply was just about the application process. I know the hospital itself is about half the size, but I believe still the largest in the area. I'm mostly wondering about the PA resident access to critical care in the ED versus fast-tract. On the website they emphasize preparing the residents for the EM caq in both didactic and skills which I think sounds promising.

I will most likely apply to both.

applying to both is a good plan. if you get into both base your decision on the quality of the off service rotations. I met the director of the arrowhead program last week at sempa in vegas. seems like a solid program from what he said. I know they have already graduated several classes of residents.

I enjoy it. I like being able to present all my cases prior to discharge and I feel like someone is always looking over my shoulder. I am fresh out of school, so for me, this is ideal :) Our hospital is certified chest pain center, stroke center and burn unit. We also rotate through the burn unit/burn surgery, ICU and trauma surgery. We have four hour lectures once a week put on by the PAs or docs at the hospital. Weekly quizzes online. But i think most importantly, I like the ability to have a life. We have a minimum of 16, 10 hour shifts a month. I think last week I put in 44 hours. I know other fellowships work their fellows like crazy and I would get burnt out if that was the case. Our ED is pretty high stress.

That sounds great. I know that a residency is all about being immersed in medicine and is going to be demanding, but I like that you mentioned still having time for a life outside of the ER. This is probably what makes me most hesitant about doing one. At the risk of sounding like a wimp, I don't know how well I would do pulling 80+ hrs a week for 18 months. I think 60 would be manageable...

Are you getting to do a lot of procedures and picking up skills (emergency ultrasound...etc.) that you feel like you wouldn't have gotten in just a regular EM job? From what I have seen EMEDPA say, that seems to be one of the main benefits of the EM fellowships.

Thanks for posting!

I am still in the "fast track" part of the ED, so I am doing a lot of suturing and did a reduction the other day. The other fellows routinely do LPs, RSIs, central lines, paracentesis, chest tubes etc etc. I'll be moving to the main ED next month. The PAs that are not in the fellowship, work in fast track. The fellows get a shift in the main ED. So yes, we are picking up skills you would not get outside of the fellowship. At least at our site. Other sites, may use PAs differently.

• 11 months later...

Archived