Accepted to PA school, but having second thoughts...

*I posted a similar thread @ SDN a few months ago so I apologize if some of you have read this already.*

Hi everyone,

I'm in need of some honest advice. I have always thought I wanted to be an MD/DO, but about a year ago I pulled a 180 and decided to apply to PA school instead. I have been fortunate enough to receive an acceptance to a school I would love to attend.

Problem: I am being overwhelmed with the negatives associated with being a PA -- the constant disrespect, the glass ceiling (both financially and scope of practice wise), and the misconceptions people have about the profession (i.e. mixing up PAs for Medical Assistants). Is it possible to get beyond these negatives and enjoy life as a PA?

I have searched PA vs MD to death, spoken with PAs, MDs, etc. But, still, I am having such a difficult time deciding. I know I want to work with people in a clinical setting in the future, but I am having trouble coming to terms with the negative aspects of the PA profession and always being an "assistant."

Thanks so much for any input/advice anyone can give!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having the same thoughts. I graduate with my Bachelors in May. I have spent the last year and a half taking extra science courses (genetics, microbio, biochem) as prereqs for PA school, and shadowing PAs. I feel I am capable of medical school, but it would mean more prereqs (orgo and physics). Also the time needed and debt occurred aren't encouraging. I am only 22yo though sooo

Basically boils down to commitment to time and money of medical school vs. always wondering if I could have done it, and facing the 'glass ceiling'.

So, PA forum is used to deter people from going to PA school?

Yup, if it truely sounds like they are:

Not goin to be at all happy being a PA. Or

Are only usin PA school as a conduit to getting into med school.

Doing everyone a favor, especially the kid who absolutely WANTS And DREAMS about becoming a PA, and who loses his seat to someone who isn't suited or doesn't really want it.

Just sayin

Just for the record, I mean absolutely no disrespect to the PA profession. I spent lots of time talking about this and experiencing it in a clinical setting, and I thought PA would be the most appropriate route for me. However, I am just having second thoughts, that's all.

I appreciate everyone's responses. I expected a lot of "go to medical school" responses, but I am concerned about making such a big commitment with (1) healthcare changing without much information about how physicians / PAs will fit in in 10-20 years (articles about "Doctors being squeezed out," decreasing reimbursements, etc) and (2) the increasingly poor satisfaction remarks and surveys from physicians. It seems that physicians are dissuading people from entering medical school all too often...

Is this just a case of the grass is greener on the other side? This decision is incredibly stressful.

Honestly it's normal to have second thoughts but I do think you should realize that at the end of the day if you want to be satisfied and help people, you can do that as a pa or as a md. There are restrictions on pas but not in the way that stops you from diagnosing and treating people, and that's what matters the most. You can prescribe medications, narcotics, order and interpret tests,specialize see patients independently, and Honestly I found that doctors are actually MORE restricted in their scope of practice because once they pick a speciality they are pretty much stuck, and if they want to double specialize or practice two at the same time or change their mind later in their career, they have to retrain. PAS ARE TRAINED TO SWITCH AND PRAXTICE BETWEEN SPECIALITIES INCLUDING SURGERY at the same time. No retraining needed. So to me, I loved that aspect of flexibility. Also no residency required, short but hard 2 years dedication to school compared to 8 years. It's not for everyone but honestly . Even as a young inexperienced doctor people will have negative things to say to you. Remember, If someone is sick or wants to be helped, they will get past the title and see the persons compassion underneathe that, md or not .

*I posted a similar thread @ SDN a few months ago so I apologize if some of you have read this already.*

Hi everyone,

I'm in need of some honest advice. I have always thought I wanted to be an MD/DO, but about a year ago I pulled a 180 and decided to apply to PA school instead. I have been fortunate enough to receive an acceptance to a school I would love to attend.

Problem: I am being overwhelmed with the negatives associated with being a PA -- the constant disrespect, the glass ceiling (both financially and scope of practice wise), and the misconceptions people have about the profession (i.e. mixing up PAs for Medical Assistants). Is it possible to get beyond these negatives and enjoy life as a PA?

I have searched PA vs MD to death, spoken with PAs, MDs, etc. But, still, I am having such a difficult time deciding. I know I want to work with people in a clinical setting in the future, but I am having trouble coming to terms with the negative aspects of the PA profession and always being an "assistant."

Thanks so much for any input/advice anyone can give!

I understand wanting to analyze this decision to death, but I think your gut reaction is important too. If imagining yourself as a PA just doesn't feel right, then why spend your time and money on a degree and career that isn't the best fit for you? Personally, I wouldn't attend the program if uncertainty still lingered in the back of my mind. You can always spend another year or two working (hopefully in a health care setting), which would give you more time to come to a confident decision.

Why is PA school a "180"? Why do you feel PA is the polar opposite of MD?

Your answer is within your own writings. Don't let the Internet sway you. Seek the counsel of your own gut and those humans closest to you.

Oh... And go to med school. PA is great but given the same opportunities when I was 22 vs 40, I would have gone the MD route too.

So, PA forum is used to deter people from going to PA school?

Are you confusing deterrence with offering of solicited opinion?

I may agree with your apparent frustration of implied deterrence if people gave unsolicited advice to leave the PA pursuits behind and exclaim that MD is the only way. However, they OP asked, and chose to use language that was interpreted as their heart being in med school but they got cold feet and is now looking for something that may be a worthy substitute. IF i was going to deter them I would launch on some diatribe [sarcasm]that only the truly, un doubting dedicated even remotely deserve the opportunity to TRY to achieve the level of "Healthcare Provider Extrodinaire" and that if you even remotely doubt your dedication to the blood sweat and tears of your fellow human, you should quit all pursuit of healthcare and go into IT. [\sarcasm]

jdobbs, you have another opinion and that's ok. Feel free to share it, I just request that you take a moment to evaluate what you were saying, about what people. Rcdavis and Emdpa are a couple of very BIG supporters of the PA world and are active in many aspects of advancing the career and improving the position of PAs within the Medical Industrial Complex.

Would you prefer that we denigrate doctors, telling the OP that they the bedside manner of a microscope and the personality of a Petri dish and only apply if you are a labrat zombie who enjoys being single? While the PA world rocks out because we are Party Animals!!

Many yrs ago when I was checking out PA programs I received a brochure from one that had a list of ten questions. They were the usual stuff about dealing with patients etc. The final question was "Can you live with always being an assistant?". In the yrs since the profession has matured but you will always be answering to a SP to some degree. Can you live with that?

just steve,

With all due respect, I have not seen a positive post about the PA profession from a moderator or someone with a 1000+ post history in a long time. Go look through the threads yourself! If you want the profession to thrive, you should promote the profession (that includes here)! I'm not saying to take a used car salesman attitude and make false claims. Sure, you will encounter problems being a PA, but do you not think you will encounter equally frustrating problems being a MD/DO?

I am all for 35+ yr old medics/nurses/rt's/etc going to pa school. more power to you.

I don't think high school kids and college students should set their sights on pa without doing something else in medicine first.

there is a place for folks to go who want to practice medicine but don't want to get exposure first. it's called medschool. the built in requirement for a residency provides time to learn your trade.

the pa profession was designed to be a second medical career, not entry level. I know many places are trying to change that, most of the reasons for this are financial. that doesn't mean it's right or will ever gain my approval.

pa is a great career in medicine, but it isn't the best career. you will always have a boss. you will always do stuff other folks don't want to do as long as you are an "assistant".

I think the "go to med school" reactions stem from the simple questioning of the choice. Most applicants don't have these questions...they know this is what they want, and that's cool; regardless of age or background IMO.

It is what it is.

To the OP, same advice as UgoLong; research it a bit more....and do a gut check. Don't make a rash decision that will effect the rest of your career.

just steve,

With all due respect, I have not seen a positive post about the PA profession from a moderator or someone with a 1000+ post history in a long time. Go look through the threads yourself! If you want the profession to thrive, you should promote the profession (that includes here)! I'm not saying to take a used car salesman attitude and make false claims. Sure, you will encounter problems being a PA, but do you not think you will encounter equally frustrating problems being a MD/DO?

I don't see this site to exist as a recruiting tool. With the school count approaching and set to exceed 200, and competition still at an extremely high level, I get the impression that there are not a lot of folks needing that extra bump of a cheering squad to get them to convert to PA.

When questions are framed as "I am going to be a PA but not sure of exactly how to navigate the system" I see plenty of support. I point to the section for personal statement as an example. Support can also be seen in the forums where students are feeling overwhelmed and other students encourage them along.

When someone asks a question framed as "I am not sure what I want, can you please make up my mind for me,,," the only good answer is the one you gave. "Don't come to the Internet" These are very personal decisions that are far more faceted than what can be accurately dissected here on line by a bunch of strangers, privy to only what the poster shares.

the senior folks blazed the trails of PAdom. They did so after working in allied health, paying their dues. They forged this profession by excelling at what they do/did and have a lot of pride in their history and accomplishments, including their previous HCE. They, and people like me, would like to see the tradition of that continue for a variety of reasons. You, and others without the extensive HCE background, have your own reasons why you believe the older model is outdated. We are not going to persuade each other very successfully to change our respective views.

I guess to make my point is this....speaking from the older school of thought. If an applicant is vacillating and unsure of their future course, they should step out of the way of the 100 other people who would kill for their seat. Those 100 other folks know their calling. Hopefully they heard their calling from the trenches of their healthcare experience so that their drive and motivation are charged with energy derived from experience, their eyes wide open and aware of what they are gettin into vs the applicant who is pursing easier work hours, high wages for little effort and other fallacies purported by media and urban legend.

I have sat and had drinks with EMEDPA a couple of times and can vouch that he is extremely supportive of helping me succeed in my future PA career.

I don't see this site to exist as a recruiting tool. With the school count approaching and set to exceed 200, and competition still at an extremely high level, I get the impression that there are not a lot of folks needing that extra bump of a cheering squad to get them to convert to PA.

When questions are framed as "I am going to be a PA but not sure of exactly how to navigate the system" I see plenty of support. I point to the section for personal statement as an example. Support can also be seen in the forums where students are feeling overwhelmed and other students encourage them along.

When someone asks a question framed as "I am not sure what I want, can you please make up my mind for me,,," the only good answer is the one you gave. "Don't come to the Internet" These are very personal decisions that are far more faceted than what can be accurately dissected here on line by a bunch of strangers, privy to only what the poster shares.

the senior folks blazed the trails of PAdom. They did so after working in allied health, paying their dues. They forged this profession by excelling at what they do/did and have a lot of pride in their history and accomplishments, including their previous HCE. They, and people like me, would like to see the tradition of that continue for a variety of reasons. You, and others without the extensive HCE background, have your own reasons why you believe the older model is outdated. We are not going to persuade each other very successfully to change our respective views.

I guess to make my point is this....speaking from the older school of thought. If an applicant is vacillating and unsure of their future course, they should step out of the way of the 100 other people who would kill for their seat. Those 100 other folks know their calling. Hopefully they heard their calling from the trenches of their healthcare experience so that their drive and motivation are charged with energy derived from experience, their eyes wide open and aware of what they are gettin into vs the applicant who is pursing easier work hours, high wages for little effort and other fallacies purported by media and urban legend.

I have sat and had drinks with EMDPA a couple of times and can vouch that he is extremely supportive of helping me succeed in my future PA career.

I can't say I've had drinks with him, but EMEDPA is undoubtedly super helpful around here and elsewhere and has been very giving of his insights for years.

Thanks again for all of the replies.

Just a few notes:

In response to an earlier comment, I have shadowed both PAs and MDs over the past 5 years. I actually work with a physician now (and have for about 2 years), which is one of the main reasons I decided against medical school so abruptly. He is an AMAZING physician (people worldwide fly to see him with complex disorders) and an even better person. However, his career has seemingly been his #1 goal throughout life, not leaving much time for anything else (ie he has had multiple divorces, does not seem to have much time for his children/wife outside of vacation time, etc.). So while I envy his professional life, I do not envy his personal life. I value family moreso than any career I ended up choosing. And I am not saying that MD always means less time for family, because I know that it differs in certain situations (like w/ EMED's colleagues). But, it seems as though PA lends itself to being more family-friendly, which is (I think) a valid concern for the future.

And I come to this forum not for someone to make the final decision for me, but to use it as a platform to hear opinions from people in the profession/working toward the profession. The more information the better, at least for me.

I've usually relied on my gut feelings throughout life, but this is one where my gut is letting me down. The decision seems like such a crap-shoot knowing that one never knows whether they would truly be happy until they're in the thick of it. I know I want to be a clinician, without question, but just not which way to go.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Archived