Accepted to PA school, but having second thoughts...

Re: Contrarian's post, unemployed for 18 weeks? That is nothing in this economy! And if you think that it is then you have/are truly living a charmed life already. So zepo, with all due respect and sincere condolences for your losses, please allow me to ask how long did it take you to get back on your feet after each of these instances?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of points you missed:

1.) It took her 18 weeks... it could have taken her 18months.

She could have had to move out of state to find a job but fortunately didn't.

2.) It could have /can happen again...

3.) I find it interesting that you think moving a family of 5 from Texas to Washington on the promise of employment, then having that go away on a whim then not knowing if/when the next pay check is coming, or if the house will be foreclosed on, or if the car will be repossessed, of if the kids are going to have to be taken out of school... for any length of time "nothing "...

I'm sure unemployment is a very stressful position to be in for ANY length of time.

As evidenced by the fact that lots of folks commit suicide secondary to it.

As a physician... this wouldn't have happened...

Do the job, get paid for it.

Pawoe: I think in your heart you know that PA school isn't what you truly want to do and that you would rather become a doctor. If you go through with PA school you will probably spend the rest of your life regretting it or eventually apply to medical school sometime after graduating anyway. And that's okay. The PA field isn't for everyone just as medical school isn't for everyone. But the only person who can truly answer the question of whether it's right for you is you. Trust your instincts and strive toward self fulfillment. Life is short and not worth agonizing over. Go for what you want. I've been working in healthcare for the past ten years and I now know that the PA field is where I want to concentrate. Everyone's path is different and I'm sure whichever decision you make, you will be good at what you do. Good luck.

Yah but they would be taking away a seat in a PA program from someone who knows they should sit there....but its all self serving anyway...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

"Nothing" refers to the 18 weeks. My meaning is that in this economy, to be employed again in less than a year is still a great thing. I know engineers with Phds who have been downsized and out of work for years. So to be part of a medical profession where you can still pick yourself up and have a future in a relatively short period of time is a very good thing. No, it does not happen to MDs, but I think it is important not to just compare to the best case scenario, as that of MD is in fact rare, but to your position in society at large.

I think comparing PAs to anyone but Physicians is silly, since we are trained on the 'Medical Model.' The average PA has a wealth of experience and training, and operates with a very high level of autonomy, yet you are ok with their employment vanishing because of what happens to another? You may be fine with that, but I am absolutely not. The fact that someone can put in 6-7 years of college level work, after working as an RN/RT/EMT/Medic/Corpsman/Whatever and suddenly have the rug pulled out for something that is no fault of their own is disturbing, and something that anyone contemplating the PA profession should be aware of.

Reading Contrarian's posts, I admit I don't know enough about the ins and outs of being a PA. I see there are more differences than MD just having title. Reading SDN posts and talking with a few MDs; they seem to have their own concerns and issues - change in healthcare from Obamacare, hospitals eating up private practice, and saying that 20yo pre-meds and med students are naive and rosy-cheeked. I feel people will complain about their own situation, and it is hard to see the problems of others if you aren't in their shoes. That PAs can lose their job on a SP's whim or random event (death, divorce, etc) is certainly a concern to me.

I suppose in conclusion I'm weighing job dependency/job security vs. changes in healthcare making paying back loans a struggle & not enough residency spots for increasing # of med students.

Reading Contrarian's posts, I admit I don't know enough about the ins and outs of being a PA. I see there are more differences than MD just having title. Reading SDN posts and talking with a few MDs; they seem to have their own concerns and issues - change in healthcare from Obamacare, hospitals eating up private practice, and saying that 20yo pre-meds and med students are naive and rosy-cheeked. I feel people will complain about their own situation, and it is hard to see the problems of others if you aren't in their shoes. That PAs can lose their job on a SP's whim or random event (death, divorce, etc) is certainly a concern to me.

I suppose in conclusion I'm weighing job dependency/job security vs. changes in healthcare making paying back loans a struggle & not enough residency spots for increasing # of med students.

Keep in mind that a substantial chunk of PAs work in hospital systems where this particular situation is a non-issue.

Archived