Hi all!

I am an RN BSN CCRN with a bit over 5 years experience- all in a critical care setting. I started college as pre med, always being fascinated with medicine, but because I did not want horrific loans and no personal life, I chose the nursing route knowing that I would end up as a practicioner at some point. Now that I have been at an academic medical institution for my entire career- I have found myself considering more and more the PA route. My goal as a midlevel is to work in ICU, trauma, or as a surgical 2st assist. I have no interest in primary or preventative care settings. I feel like my way of thinking and caring for patients is more align to the medical model than the nursing model. Has anyone out there gone from RN to PA instead of NP? Anyone know of anyone who has, and what has their experience been like?

Thank you

What did you see as the major difference? More science/patho in the PA track? Do you feel like NP school prepares students to be as good of beginning midlevels as PA school?

A) more everything you would want PA school. Less pointless papers and nursing theory. B) not unless they have lots of experience as a nurse, even then it's not as broad knowledge. Limited to the area they've practiced in.

Archived