Where to find prices on Rx's

I've had to research this for personal reasons and IMO the best way is to actually call the pharmacy (or have the patient do it). I've checked prices at Walgreen's, Costco, a local grocery, Target and CVS. What I've found is that there is not one place with lower prices on everything. And the $4 generics are only for certain meds. For practice, I might take time to call local pharmacies for some of the most common things I'll be prescribing, but I found websites to be unreliable.

i work at CVS, and we are the most expensive for cash prices, along with walgreens, and rite aid.

I send low income people who are not covered to costco, they have by far the cheapest prices for most anything. for common things, wal mart is good, and theyre especially good for their diabetic supplies.

but yeah call the pharmacy, its the only way to know for sure. I hate when people come in saying that someone told someone told them that CVS charges whatever. just call (or better yet, make the pt call)

also, independent pharmacies can work with you more so than chains, so give them a call.

when I worked as a pharmacy technician at Costco people either called or came in. Our pharmacist didn't want us giving control prices out over the phone, Costco normally has the cheapest controls that I've found. Doctors and nurses call in all the time asking for prices for their patients. Walmart does have nice deals on their antibiotics and i believe they did a free 30 day supply of atorvastatin. http://www2.costco.com/Pharmacy/DrugInformation.aspx?p=1 im sure walgreens and walmart etc might have online pricing. At the Costco I worked at we couldn't say that the prices would always be the same because it all depended on what manufacturer we got in.

Archived