I humbly ask for any advice any of you may be able to provide.

Thank you to anyone who responds. I left my PA program after two years. I had some extreme family issues to take care of and assumed my program would let me back in. I later found out that I would not be allowed to come back but I could reapply to go through the entire program again. I have already done 15 months of Didactic work and 7 months of clinical rotations. I was three clinical rotations shy of graduating. I did really well in school and just don't understand my school's policy. I have been praying asking for any help out there. If any of you can provide any advice you would be a true life saver. Thank you so much again.

Something doesn't sound right. Doesn't pass the smell test. I cannot IMAGINE a program not granting a leave of absence for a bone Fide emergency ( child and or wife died, major trauma with hardware and bed rest, etc.. More than an aunt getting a divorce).

Otherwise, if it truely is as you say it is, ( you might want to be careful here), name the program.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but this doesn't quite pass the smell test.

Agreed. Never, ever ASSUME that a LOA grants automatic readmission on your timeline--programs have strict standards regarding this. Doesn't sound like you've done your due diligence.

Call the program and request a meeting--humbly--and, if you truly left in good standing, you may be able to work out a mutually beneficial completion arrangement. Demands, assumptions and lawyering-up won't help if the program can prove you are not a suitable candidate for completion of training.

Something doesn't sound right. Doesn't pass the smell test. I cannot IMAGINE a program not granting a leave of absence for a bone Fide emergency ( child and or wife died, major trauma with hardware and bed rest, etc.. More than an aunt getting a divorce).

Otherwise, if it truely is as you say it is, ( you might want to be careful here), name the program.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but this doesn't quite pass the smell test.

I'd rather not name the school. I'm talking to someone from the PAEA for advice on the situation. Thank you all for you advice though.

I would wager that they already know who you are and that you posted here.

If the OP is not a troll, then I'd say that's a good thing. I hope that program would also know how many other people read this forum. However, I have to agree with rc davis, something doesn't sound right. Shouldn't this have been cleared up and clarified when the OP left in the first place?

Demands, assumptions and lawyering-up won't help if the program can prove you are not a suitable candidate for completion of training.

I don't know if bringing a lawyer on in this kind of a situation would be anything other than protection. It might help if they can assist in proving that you are a suitable candidate for completion of training. Are you saying that if this happened to you that you would not seek legal counsel? I definitely would. And we'd be meeting with the Dean, not 'The Program' (gosh that sounds creepy).

What is the schools policy on leave. I am confident they clearly lay that out in a student handbook, which I am equally confident you had to sign stating you read and agreed with. If your situation is already commented on in the book then legal consultation may not offer much. If you have a friend that is in the legal field it could not hurt to see if there is some language in the law which could suggest an argument be had for allowing you to obtain credit for the year you completed (especially if it was a year or two ago). I do not think it is totally unreasonable if they made you start over for the clinical year ... but the didactic too is asking alot. But then again I do not know the situation. Maybe a local PA school offers advanced standing ?? I think someone on this forum may have completed a year somewhere and transferred to another school .... just sounds like a familiar story. The PAEA is a good place to go ! Maybe the SAAPA as well ?

Archived