Suggestions to prepare for GRE in 2 months

Hello everyone,

So I recently spoke to one of the main schools I'm interested in. They haven't updated their requirements yet for this coming applications year (May 2013), but the woman told me now GRE's will be required. There won't be any minimum required score though. Not sure what means for my application. Well I kind of lost it and was very shock leaving such little time to prepare and they even haven't published it. Anyhow, I am now preparing to take the GRE in the beginning April. Any suggestions on how to prepare in that time? I've downloaded apps to study words and have been looking at mygretutor.com to review math material. The school isn't rolling admission but I'd like to get my application in ASAP. Plus now that I know I'm taking the GRE's, I've looked into more schools to apply too. Any suggestions?

I think the best thing to do is to buy a guide book and practice. A lot of time GRE is not as difficult as you expect, but is you do not know the drills for each type of questions, it will be a tough one. I am not a native English speaker, to me the most difficult part is vocab. The math part and writing part is not a deal.

Hello everyone,

So I recently spoke to one of the main schools I'm interested in. They haven't updated their requirements yet for this coming applications year (May 2013), but the woman told me now GRE's will be required. There won't be any minimum required score though. Not sure what means for my application. Well I kind of lost it and was very shock leaving such little time to prepare and they even haven't published it. Anyhow, I am now preparing to take the GRE in the beginning April. Any suggestions on how to prepare in that time? I've downloaded apps to study words and have been looking at mygretutor.com to review math material. The school isn't rolling admission but I'd like to get my application in ASAP. Plus now that I know I'm taking the GRE's, I've looked into more schools to apply too. Any suggestions?

If you have only 2 months to prepare, I think that focusing on math would be the best use of your time. Get a book like this and read it cover to cover. There are only a limited number of concepts and skills they will test you on for the math part. If you can learn them, you can dramatically increase your score. Verbal involves a lot more variables and is much harder to study for, in my opinion. Of course, if English is a second language or your language skills are very weak you may want to focus on language, too. Basically, get a highly rated book off of Amazon and work through every single page. The test is not that hard once you learn what they like to ask. That is where a GRE prep book is very valuable.

Heres a link to the math tutorial I've been doing http://www.mygretutor.com/tutorials.aspx. The different material links are on the left(arithmetic, algebra, etc). Do you think that covers the math I need to refresh myself with and understand? Or am I better getting a book? The tutorials seem great but not many practice problems.

Also for anyone that has taken the GRE's, are these the types of problems I should expect? http://readyforgre.com/documents/Advanced%20GRE%20Math%20Questions%20-%20Version%203.pdf

I've only done the first couple pages but they seem rather difficult. Now that may be the case because I'm still refreshing myself on the math material. Or do these seem more of the advanced types of questions and not the average. thanks guys

tu3218 Thanks for the links, they are helpful.

Heres a link to the math tutorial I've been doing http://www.mygretutor.com/tutorials.aspx. The different material links are on the left(arithmetic, algebra, etc). Do you think that covers the math I need to refresh myself with and understand? Or am I better getting a book? The tutorials seem great but not many practice problems.

Also for anyone that has taken the GRE's, are these the types of problems I should expect? http://readyforgre.com/documents/Advanced%20GRE%20Math%20Questions%20-%20Version%203.pdf

I've only done the first couple pages but they seem rather difficult. Now that may be the case because I'm still refreshing myself on the math material. Or do these seem more of the advanced types of questions and not the average. thanks guys

I had exactly 2 days to prepare (poor time management on my part) and used these books to prepare: kaplan 2013 gre prep, cliff notes math review for standardized test, and gre vocab capacity. I credit these books for helping me in the short amount of time I had, and with 2 months I think they'll help you to be well prepared.

I wouldn't recommend the Kaplan gre prep 2013..I felt like the math review was too easy and is nothing like the math on the actual exam you are much better off reviewing the math review packet on the ets website. I memorized the 500 most common words from Kaplan n I think that helped me score a 148 as opposed to a 130 (which would mean zero correct lol)

I wouldn't recommend the Kaplan gre prep 2013..I felt like the math review was too easy and is nothing like the math on the actual exam you are much better off reviewing the math review packet on the ets website. I memorized the 500 most common words from Kaplan n I think that helped me score a 148 as opposed to a 130 (which would mean zero correct lol)

the kaplan math section wasn't bad, but that's why I supplemented with the cliff notes math review for standardized tests - it was much more helpful. I still think the kaplan book is helpful for getting a good overview of each subject, and should be used in conjunction with other more in-depth reviews. Using those 3 books I was able to get 160 verbal and 150 math, not spectacular by any means but I wasn't expecting much after a couple of days of studying.

thanks guys. My friend lent me her Cracking the GRE 2010. I know its a few years old but I'd imagine its still all the same math concepts, and writing. I also downloaded vocab app on my phone and Cracking the GRE has whats called "Hit Parade." Basically most common words found on GRE. Probably very similar to 500 most common words from Kaplan. I checked the Hit Parade from 2013 and it seems to be the same. So I'm basically just working my way through this book, and memorizing the words. Just stressful with all the concepts that I was once so good at, but trying to relearn now.

I had one month to study for the GRE. I purchased the Kaplan study guide, it's got tons of practice questions and several practice tests, also a list of the 200 most common GRE words. English is my second language so I had a hard time of the vocab section even though I learned English since I was in grade 1. I had to work extra hard on math questions because I knew I was better at math and that would help offset my poor verbal score. Writing wasn't a big deal, I made sure I reviewed the essay examples in the study guide and made sure I followed the proper format on my essays. With all that I ended up with a decent score, better than what I thought.

Archived