• Administrator

Arrowhead OB/GYN PA Residency Program

Department of Women's Health

400 North Pepper Avenue

Colton, CA 92555

Program Director: Christine Sims, PA-C, MMS

909-580-6320

PROGRAM DESCRIPTION:

This is a 12-month full-time postgraduate residency program offering intensive training in inpatient and outpatient obstetrics and gynecology. The program is housed at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center and Riverside County Regional Medical Center which are two of Southern California's premier teaching hospitals each with over 350 beds, approximately 3,600 obstetrical deliveries per year, and more than 30,000 visit encounters to the hospital's outpatient women's health center annually. The PA residents are trained along with the OB/GYN physician residents, working 70-80 hours per week, and are exposed to the management of complicated and non-complicated antepartum, intrapartum, postpartum, postoperative, acutely ill, and well OB and GYN patients. Upon completion of this residency, the PA should be competent in performing vaginal deliveries, 1st assisting in Cesarean deliveries and gynecological surgeries, and performing colposcopies and other common gynecological procedures.

CURRICULUM:

The didactic portion consists of daily morning rounds, biweekly lectures by attending physicians, monthly journal clubs, morbidity and mortality conferences, assigned readings, and self-directed learning. The clinical portion consists of training and experience in labor and delivery, obstetrical ultrasound, L&D triage, ER consults, OR assisting, and the management of high and low risk obstetrical and gynecological patients.

COSTS/BENEFITS:

There is no fee or tuition for the program. Benefits include a stipend, malpractice insurance, medical insurance, 15 days vacation, and 50 hours of Category I CME. Housing and the initial on-site interview expense are the responsibility of the resident.

CREDENTIALS AWARDED:

Upon graduation from the residency, the physician assistant receives a Certificate of Completion of a Postgraduate OB/GYN Residency from Riverside County Regional Medical Center.

APPLICANT QUALIFICATIONS:

Graduate from ARC-PA accredited Physician Assistant program

California State Licensure or eligible for California State Licensure

NCCPA certification

ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS:

Completed application

Curriculum Vitae

Personal Statement

Three letters of recommendation

National certifying examination scores

Copy of PA Program diploma/certificate

Copy of PA education transcript

Copy of current CPR certification

Copy of California State Licensure

On-site interview

Applications are accepted on a continuous basis. Once your complete application is received, you will be contacted to schedule an interview. Class seating's will be staggered througout the year.

FOR MORE INFORMATION AND AN APPLICATION PACKET, PLEASE CONTACT:

Jasmine Cervenka, Dept. of Women's Health

400 N. Pepper Ave.

Colton, CA 92324

909-580-6320

Cervenkaj@ARMC.sbcounty.gov

• 6 months later...
Guest laharvill

If anyone would like the real scoop on this residency, let me know. I will be graduating in 5 weeks. So worth it....I have delivered almost 300 babies in the past 11 months (vacuum deliveries, c-sections, normal vaginal deliveries). Not to mention managment of many high-rist antepartum, peripartum, and postpartum patients.

Don't mean to be ignorant...but does an OB-GYN residency like this make more of a place for PAs in labor and delivery than one would otherwise have? I'm about to begin rotations, and we have been told repeatedly that the PAs role in an OB-GYN practice is NOT in labor and delivery: that nurse midwives fill that need and PAs function primarily in antepartum and postpartum care. I don't think I can possibly know what I want to do until I get out there in rotations, but this attitude has already kind of turned me off from thinking about OB-GYN, because I feel if I were to do it I'd want to be involved in labor and delivery. Thanks for the info--and congrats Laharvill on being almost done!

there are a number of pa's who do l+d. it has traditionally been a field for midwives but if you want to do l+d this residency would make it happen for you. I have a former student who went through this program who does full time ob l+d + o.r. 1st assists for c-sections and other ob procedures.

check out the obgyn specialty group at aapa.org for a list of places that pa's work on l+d services.

Guest laharvill

Paul does still work here. Just saw him last week. As for PAs on L&D.....that's primarily the reason I did the residency was to be able to deliver, take call, and 1st assist. Does this mean that when I graduate I will automatically be able to go to any state and immediately obtain delivery priveleges. No, it's something that not all states are currently allowing, because, really, would you want to graduate from school and start delivering babies without experience doing so in many different laboring situations. I know I didn't. However, now I feel very comfortable with normal and high-risk deliveries. When I am done, I will have to petition the state board of medical examiners for priveleges and have an attending physician willing to help me obtain those. Things are looking promising. I'll let you know more once I have priveleges in Georgia.

• 3 months later...
Guest facio57

i'm pretty sure they take 2 each year ... a couple of my classmates loved their ob/gyn rotation and are set to apply ... its a good program but you will work your butt off at those two hospitals. the ob/gyn attendings at RCRMC are awesome, seriously, so smart and laid-back at the same time.

~facio

Guest laharvill

it is a varying start and each session usually starts 2 PAs. They currently have 5 PA residents. One will be graduating in January, the other 4 graduate in June. Last I heard, they had a least one or two slated for a jan/feb start. Before I graduated, we had 7 PA residents for 2 months.

• 5 months later...
Guest Willis

There were some posts back in december of last year about the OBGYN residency in SoCal. I am very interested in applying and had some questions regarding job opportunities after residency. Anyone working in l+d, first assisting in surgeries, and/or taking call? These are my main interests. I'm curious as to how you found jobs allowing you these privileges? I'm not super interested in just outpatient obgyn...anyone have any info? Thanks for the help.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
I wanted to bump this thread up, and see if we can get some current perspectives about this residency and the experiences in it? Anyone recently complete or know someone who completed this post grad residency program? What did they get to do? Schedule like, etc?

If you or anyone elsel have questions regarding the residency feel free to call me at (909) 580-3458 or email me at acresearch08@yahoo.com. I am the new PA Residency Coordinator! Soon I will post a new page for this program.

Kind regards,

Kristin

I wanted to bump this thread up, and see if we can get some current perspectives about this residency and the experiences in it? Anyone recently complete or know someone who completed this post grad residency program? What did they get to do? Schedule like, etc?

If you or anyone elsel have questions regarding the residency feel free to call me at (909) 580-3458 or email me at acresearch08@yahoo.com. I am the new PA Residency Coordinator! Soon I will post a new page for this program.

Kind regards,

Kristin

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I Don't do OB but I rotated through RCRMC and there were 2 PAs working there at the time who went through the residency.  One was up in L&D first assisting and floor work, the other stuck to the clinic mostly.  You will get WORKED if you do any fellowship/residency at arrowhead or RCRMC, think 80 + hours per week.  That's what I experienced as a student and witnessed in the PA fellows.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/9/2007 at 9:08 PM, Guest laharvill said:

If anyone would like the real scoop on this residency, let me know. I will be graduating in 5 weeks. So worth it....I have delivered almost 300 babies in the past 11 months (vacuum deliveries, c-sections, normal vaginal deliveries). Not to mention managment of many high-rist antepartum, peripartum, and postpartum patients.

I know I am years later but I was hoping if anyone can give me an idea of the schedule for the OBGYN residency and acceptance rate please?

• 3 years later...