IF you are sure which state you will be in, and IF The DEA in that state allows you to list your home address as a business address on the form ( eg all of my DEAs required that I have a medical business address which with the DEA will be "attached"), then go ahead and apply for one.

Otherwise, wait until you actually have a position, then apply. The process is not all that long ( much shorter than most credentialling processes).

Good luck

I agree, wait until you are employed. Some employers will pay for the DEA out of their CME or benefit packages. Some will also pay for memberships to your state or national PA organizations. Plus, if you don't know which state you will be working in, you will not know what privileges the state PA laws give for you controlled substance classes.

H

Invest in YOU...

Who gets hired..??? The PA that can start tomorrow and prescribe or the PA that can only sit around and serve as a overpaid MA for weeks to months.

Get it ASAP and write it off on next yrs taxes.

But c,

As a new grad, who has not had a DEA before, I do not think he is able to get a DEA. Before he has a job, or before he has even a state license. I believe that he has to wait.

Otherwise I agree with the sentiment.

RC

in my state you cant get a DEA until u have a permanent (not temporary) state license and an employer. One thing to keep in mind, I could not send in my application for credenetialling at my hospitals until i had a DEA number. It only took a couple days to get the DEA after submitting the application. If i were you, I would have the DEA app filled out and ready to go (and if u have to take a class, take it now), so that as soon as you get your license and sign a contract, you can subit your DEA application asap.

I couldn't get my DEA for WI until I had an address connected with a clinic/hospital and could not use my own address. In MI I needed to have a physician delegation agreement on file before getting the license. Check you state laws.

Generally, the rule is that you keep it there until you get a new position.. Then you notify the DEA with a change of business address...

As for actually getting a copy of the license, you can print it out from their website.

I am on staff on several hospitals in one state and the DEA only lists one of them.

Capice?

Sorry this a bit off topic...but can you be licensed iin 2 states concurrently . I'm in a situation in which

I not sure which of the two states I will practice. It really depends the job. Any the appreciated!

Yes you can. I have separate DEAs in NC and in SC. different numbers, different authority (nc schd 2-5, sc schd 3-5).

I have to use the SC DEA in SC, and the NC DEA in NC.

rule still applies that, for original DEA in a state, you have to have a business address... Clinic or hospital.

I couldn't get my DEA for WI until I had an address connected with a clinic/hospital and could not use my own address. In MI I needed to have a physician delegation agreement on file before getting the license. Check you state laws.

Hmm, that's odd. I've had my DEA with my home address on it for the entire 13 years I've had one. I do and have always practiced in WI. :confused:

Hmm, that's odd. I've had my DEA with my home address on it for the entire 13 years I've had one. I do and have always practiced in WI. :confused:

Really? Have I been filling out the DEA license application wrong? I'm not renewing my WI DEA when it expires as it is too expensive to pay for two DEA licenses anyway, and I now work over the border in MI. I'll keep my state license tho, just in case!!!

• 4 weeks later...
If my clinic does NOT prescribe any controlled substance. The highest they go is tramadol. Do I still need to registered with DEA to prescribe non-controlled substance medication?

IF YOUR SP AGREES with you having the DEA, ( and understanding that you will not be using it), go ahead and get it. The drug stores like to use it for quickie ID, ( as opposed to UPIN/NPI).

Never hurts to have it.

You may have to pay for it yourself ...$731/3year license. But I 'd venture to guess sometime in te next 3 years you will be very glad that you have it.

(late note: sorry, I did not address te question: no, you do not need a DEA to prescribe any non scheduled medication)

If my clinic does NOT prescribe any controlled substance. The highest they go is tramadol. Do I still need to registered with DEA to prescribe non-controlled substance medication?

No, you will not need it. But even simple schedule Vs like lomotil will then be off-limits....

Archived