Shadowing an Emergency Medicine PA

Hello all, I just wanted some help as what kind of question would be helpful to ask this EM PA that I will be shadowing. I don't want a repeat of the last time I've shadowed, which was a disaster because I did not know what to ask or what to do all day.... So please help me out if you have shadowed before. Thanks!

I would ask anything and everything to the point where it doesn't significantly hinder the PA. Most PAs I shadowed enjoyed having questions asked (as long as you don't ask to the point where it gets annoying) and liked that I showed an interest in what they were doing. What is disease X? What were you looking for when you did X on the physical exam? Why did you ask them about this? How do you like your role in the ER? What made you do ER? etc

If you're preceptor is doing a Lac/I&D, I'd ask what he/she is checking for (depth, foreign bodies, signs of infection, tendon damage, etc), what type of suture material (prolene/gut/etc) they'll use and why (facial vs high tension areas), what type of local anesthesia they'd use on adults vs children.

I'd ask what type of antibiotics they're prescribing for what and why. Why they are running certain tests and what they are looking for based upon presentation.

****, just ask. Thats how you learn.

Archived