First Time Applicant Stats/Profile - Please Critique/Suggest!

Hi Folks - I am a 25 year old first time PA applicant. Here is a rough outline of my stats...please critique or suggest any ways that I can make my package better in the next 3 or so months. If this helps, I'm applying to: University of Bridgeport (first choice because of focus on CAM and holistic healing), A.T. Still (second choice - the have a track for American Indian PAs), Pace, CUNY-Harlem (tied for second choice because of focus on medically under-served populations). I'm open to applying to more schools.

Undergrad GPA (Creighton University) - 2.81, Bachelor of Arts in Native American Studies

Science GPA (post-bacc program at Fairfield University) - 3.55ish, depending on how CASPA calculates. Post-bacc program was 37 credits. Haven't taken genetics.

Patient Care Experience: 500 hours volunteer EMT, became crew chief after 150 hours. High volume urban service. I plan on continuing to do this full time through the summer, meaning I'll have somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 hours by the time PA schools would start.

Shadowing Experience: 12 hours - Urological Surgery MDs

12 hours - Urology PA

12 hours - Emergency Medicine MD and PAs

Research Experience: Investigated, designed and executed a BIG research project at Fairfield about the use of plants that are culturally significant to the Lakota tribe as quorum sensing inhibitors in Pseudomonas and other virulent species. I'll be presenting this at a Sigma Xi conference. Also, co-author of anthropology paper and presentation at CSAS conference as a college freshman. I was the youngest presenter at the conference.

Awards and Honors: Fairfield University Dean's List - Spring 2012

Citation from Town of Stratford, CT for emergency medical service beyond professional obligation during Hurricane Sandy, October 2012

Professional Certifications: State of CT EMT-B, State of CT CNA (currently seeking), SOLO Wilderness First Responder

Personal Narrative/Life Story: Here is where I've been told is the real strength of my application. I was adopted into an American Indian family and lived a big chunk of my life on a reservation in South Dakota. This has impacted all areas of my life, and truly has made me the person I am today. My brother is a very highly respected traditional tribal spiritual leader and healer, and his teachings have colored my understandings of health, wellness and medicine. I speak the Lakota language. I decided to conduct my microbiology research based on my experience with using traditional plants for healing purposes, and my research links traditional tribal healing practices and western, evidence based medicine. I could literally write whole volumes about how and why this aspect of my life sets me apart as an applicant, but suffice it to say that every component of my application is somehow tied to my life on the reservation. My interest in alternative medicine is the primary reason why University of Bridgeport and A.T. Still are my number one and number two choices, respectively.

....so, how's it look? Suggestions?

I don't know specifically about the schools you're applying to, but all the schools in my area require a 3.0 GPA as a minimum requirement. Your post BAC GPA is much better, but even that isn't stellar (at least compared with the schools in my area...3.5 is the avg. science GPA of accepted applicants.)

I could really see that holding you back and perhaps not even allowing you to make it to the interview phase.

I think you have a pretty strong application other than your GPA. It would be helpful to know what your overall GPA and cum science GPA would be including the post-bacc classes. Assuming thats above a 3.0, you have a shot at getting in somewhere. I do think you should do a little more to improve your GPA, perhaps take a few courses this spring. Also, due to your GPA, there will be some places that you apply that will immediately throw out your application solely because of not meeting certain cutoffs, or just not being as competitive as the rest of the applicants pool as far as GPA. Thus, it will be important for you to apply to many schools (10 or more). Also, just a note about the program at UB: The CAM curricular component is not aimed at teaching CAM techniques that you could use with patients. Rather it is aimed at exposing you to the practice abilities of chiropractors, naturopaths, and acupuncturists so that you can refer your patients to these professionals in the future and know what kinds of services that they provide. It is a very small component of the program. I am not trying to discourage you from applying there, but just thought I would give you that heads up. IMO it should not be the only reason you apply to that program.

Archived