I'm NOT excelling at my nurse aide job

If I could get a little feedback on my current job situation I'd appreciate it...

A few weeks ago I started a new job as a nurse aide at a hospital, night shift twice a week. I need the HCE hours but I'm not really great at this job. I thought that wiping butts would be the worst part of the job, but actually the worst part is trying to keep in my head all the information about all the patients in the unit. I'm expected to know each patient, their room number, their method of urination (foley catheter, urinal, bedside commode or bathroom), the number of times they urinate, their method of defacation (bathroom, bedside commode or bedpan), if and how the patient gets out of bed (1 person assist, 2 person assist, physical therapy assist only, bedrest only), the mental status of each patient, whether they are a fall risk and have tabs o, how many times their linen has been changed and more.

It's frankly a lot more information than I can keep in my head at once, especially since I'm not there everyday and patients are always transferring in and out of the unit. I'm trying to get better at taking notes each time I do something but we get busy sometimes and I may already be known as the guy who's nice but slow.

There are also some things that annoy me about how the unit runs, but this post is long enough. Am I just experiencing the pain of learning a new job? I hate being responsible for so many patients and keeping track of everything. Thanks for reading.

You are just experiencing the pain of learning a new job. I was in the same boat when I started as a Nurse Aide. It can be a little overwhelming at first and it certainly was for me especially when I could only work a couple days a week and go to school. I almost wondered if I could potentially handle being a PA because being an STNA was so stressful and demanding at first. In a few months you'll be in a good routine and it will begin to be enjoyable. Every day brings it's challenges but that is the nature of health care. Good Luck!

I have to agree. You just need to get used to the new job. When I started at the hospital I felt the same way. It's a different pace and atmosphere then any other jobs I had ever had. It can seem very overwhelming, but it gets easier and everything becomes routine, just like with any other job. It's also very rewarding once you get the hang of things and then you can really focus on learning for your future career. There is SO much medical knowledge that can be picked up in a hospital! You just have to get the hang of things first. Good luck!

Eventually youll get use to it, but for now try getting those notecards and keep them in a ring based on room number and jot down the stuff you need to know.....come in for your shift a little early on the days you work, walk the floor and update your cards....eventually you will get to the point where you dont need them. This is good "practice"....I have seen PAs that can remember names/room numbers (on different floors even/conditions/medications/orders on their patients with little no notes...comes with time

I agree with everyone else; steep learning curve. I have about 1000 hours now as an opthalmic assistant in a busy practice. We see almost 40 patients before noon or 1 pm 4 days a week. I think the first 3 months gave me a gastritis! Now that I'm more experienced, instead of constantly learning/remembering new diseases/diagnoses and how a practice runs and insurance companies, and so on..., I'm learning and remembering our patient's diseases and idiosyncrasies. Your frame of mind just needs to be oriented to healthcare, and it takes time. I'm more spent now than I am stressed (still building up the endurance), but still constantly learning. The difference now is that its not as difficult to learn.

I agree with what the others have said however there is another dimension to HCE. It gives you a peek into the medical world and the huge vol. of things you will be expected to know on the fly and dealing with large numbers of patients. If after a reasonable time and utilizing the hints given here you still have probs you might want to re evaluate your decision to apply to PA school. When you graduate you will often be expected to see a patient every 10-15 mins all day every day and keep it all straight in your head. Better to discover those things now. Charge on and see how it goes.

i also work nights at a hospital, and it can be quite overwhelming trying to keep track of everything. i keep a piece of paper in my scrub top. i have a system of writing down the diagnosis, mental state, if/how they get out of bed, fall risk, and i circle a foley or a total care pt. i also have a spot where i always write glucose finger sticks and intake/outputs. i'm a creature of routine, so as long as i have my paper, i'm pretty good at keeping track of everything. it took me a few months to be fully comfortable, but now the nurses come ask me how the patient in room 4 gets out of bed. don't worry, you'll get the hang of it and soon it will be a breeze.

I completely agree. I work days (7a-7p) in a hospital as a patient care tech and it definitely takes some time to adjust. Where I work they print out a worksheet with room numbers corresponding to the patient's names. On that sheet I write down notes from the report I receive from the night tech and the day shift nurse. I made my own system for who has foley catheters, picc lines, left or right arm precautions, who needs blood sugars checked, bloodwork, if they are an assist/self/or complete care patient etc. I carry this paper with me all day long to record inputs/outputs and keep track of whose sheets are changed or who I washed. Don't worry! It does get easier once you get into your own routine and it is such great experience for PA school. Don't give up!

Archived