How do you apply for other jobs if you've only been in a job for 2 months?

Hi. I posted in another thread the disaster that is my first PA job. Essentially I was hired for primarily outpatient work (95%+ I'd say) and now it's become nothing of the sort. I am looking at about 40% outpatient, 55% inpatient, and 5% OR (or hopefully less). Let me just say I HATE the OR. I told them this when I was hired. Even a small percentage of OR is too much. I've been assured several times that I won't have to be in the OR...yet I had to scrub this past week (and these cases are long...esophagectomies, lung transplants, etc). My section head thinks that PAs should be like residents -- able to plug them in wherever needed.

In any event, based on what happens this week, I may have to leave this job. I've only been here 2 months. When I look for new jobs, and they see on my resume that I've only been here 2 months, how will that look? I don't want to look like a quitter. I'm hoping for interviews simply because I'm already graduated, certified, licensed, and ACLS provider. I never imagined I'd have to do this. But it might have to be.

Do I mention this in my cover letter? I don't want to come across as a whiner. But the truth is, my job description isn't even close to what I was hired for.

Thanks in advance.

Cover letter should highlight skills. i never volunteer why I left a place....that stays inside unless asked. Even when asked, never talk poorly about a place and be brief and concise. I would say something like this if asked why I left/am leaving: "As someone new to internal medicine, it was important to me to find a position that has an effective training structure in place and a solid job description with expectations. While I adapt to change very well, my previous position did not provide these key elements leading to an unstable work environment." or something like that.

you can find a good way to express yourself about your previous employment, but there is no need to mention your previous job, especially with such a short duration

Even though I graduated in August? It took until November for credentialing and everything, which is another reason this whole thing irks me. I wasted a load of time waiting for credentialing. Now at least I have my license, ACLS, and certification to make everything go faster.

carefully and quietly.....

don't quit yet....

if you are in a hospital system give HR a chance to come to the rescue (even if you are not a hospital employee)

put feelers out ==== (come on it is not that bad to be doing something you dislike.... we have all done it, it stinks, you think a garbage man likes picking up garbage? or the HS graduate working for $12/hour in jiffy lube?) Sorry to be blunt but to just jump ship is immature if you do not have something lined up

So back to specifics

Talk to HR - tell them what you are looking for - ask for their help in finding it..... you burn a bridge in a big hospital system and you will have a tough time getting rehired. Besides as a new grad you can learn ANYTHING from ANYONE so just suck it up a while until something else comes along. After all you are not making the choice of chemo or radiation to treat.... you are just going to work...

You think you are irked - - what do you think the person that hired you is going to feel? Bailing in a few months is actually a pretty bad thing to do and shows a lot of immaturity and lack of thought process......

Honestly, you just have to hang tough - most first jobs need to last at least 6 months otherwise it is a big red flag.. (year is really the bare min but if you hate OR and took a job in the OR-your job description did say you would cover the OR when needed-that is not their fault)

Just a thought - (not picking on you) how old are you and have you been in the working world before? Just thinking that it would be really hard to enter the work force (as most young new grads are doing) with out a bit of "this job sucks but I am just going to do it cause I might end up liking it" or "this is my job for the time being, it pays my bills and I need health insurance" mentality..... if you are over 30 then I apologize, if you are under 25 you need to also talk to some older wiser, more experienced PA's and even just working folks, to realize that there is a reason work has four letters in it - sometimes it is a four letter word.... Honestly this is a lesson that I keep learning even though I have been in the work force well over 20 years..... sometimes it is just a job in spite of all our aspirations and ambitions we just need a job.

I am afraid this will be totally taken wrong/inappropriate but I feel compelled to open my mouth anyways...in your previous thread you mentioned you have "turned into a crier". You are obviously stressed, lost, agitated, frustrated and having a hard time focusing. It may be time to seek some personal counseling with perhaps some SSRI assistance. It will help you get past the hump and maybe give some hope.

carefully and quietly.....

don't quit yet....

if you are in a hospital system give HR a chance to come to the rescue (even if you are not a hospital employee)

put feelers out ==== (come on it is not that bad to be doing something you dislike.... we have all done it, it stinks, you think a garbage man likes picking up garbage? or the HS graduate working for $12/hour in jiffy lube?) Sorry to be blunt but to just jump ship is immature if you do not have something lined up

So back to specifics

Talk to HR - tell them what you are looking for - ask for their help in finding it..... you burn a bridge in a big hospital system and you will have a tough time getting rehired. Besides as a new grad you can learn ANYTHING from ANYONE so just suck it up a while until something else comes along. After all you are not making the choice of chemo or radiation to treat.... you are just going to work...

You think you are irked - - what do you think the person that hired you is going to feel? Bailing in a few months is actually a pretty bad thing to do and shows a lot of immaturity and lack of thought process......

Honestly, you just have to hang tough - most first jobs need to last at least 6 months otherwise it is a big red flag.. (year is really the bare min but if you hate OR and took a job in the OR-your job description did say you would cover the OR when needed-that is not their fault)

Just a thought - (not picking on you) how old are you and have you been in the working world before? Just thinking that it would be really hard to enter the work force (as most young new grads are doing) with out a bit of "this job sucks but I am just going to do it cause I might end up liking it" or "this is my job for the time being, it pays my bills and I need health insurance" mentality..... if you are over 30 then I apologize, if you are under 25 you need to also talk to some older wiser, more experienced PA's and even just working folks, to realize that there is a reason work has four letters in it - sometimes it is a four letter word.... Honestly this is a lesson that I keep learning even though I have been in the work force well over 20 years..... sometimes it is just a job in spite of all our aspirations and ambitions we just need a job.

I am not planning on quitting at this point. My job description does say "back up OR" however, I was told several times it wouldn't be anything I had to worry about.

I am 34. Not what you'd consider a young person. However, I do have 2 kids (a 4 yo and 9 month old). This job was supposed to be M-F 7-4:30. However, it has turned into 4-10s, which I thought would be great -- except that it's more like 4 12-13 hour days much of the time. Sometimes I don't see my kids at all at night. Maybe it's part of the reason I am crying. Maybe some SSRI and counseling will help -- not sure when I'd get to the doctor since my doc is off the day I'm off.

I have a meeting this afternoon to talk to the administrator. Apparently if this cannot be worked out, they can help place me somewhere else. I don't want that to be the case. And I am not happy about the fact that they've invested time and resources into training me. But to stay for 6-12 months before finding another job will just get me past training. And then if I do decide to leave,they're stuck training all over again. If my schedule cannot be worked out so that I am working reasonable hours, I don't know how this will work.

So it's things to consider.

Thanks for the input.

If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. Start applying for new jobs somewhere else. If you get an offer you like, hey, go a head and take it. If you don't get an offer because you are leaving this job too soon or for any other reason, you know what has to happen. How much of time and effort could the hospital vest in you if you are this unsatisfied in two short months. It has to work for both sides.

I am not planning on quitting at this point. My job description does say "back up OR" however, I was told several times it wouldn't be anything I had to worry about.

I am 34. Not what you'd consider a young person. However, I do have 2 kids (a 4 yo and 9 month old). This job was supposed to be M-F 7-4:30. However, it has turned into 4-10s, which I thought would be great -- except that it's more like 4 12-13 hour days much of the time. Sometimes I don't see my kids at all at night. Maybe it's part of the reason I am crying. Maybe some SSRI and counseling will help -- not sure when I'd get to the doctor since my doc is off the day I'm off.

I have a meeting this afternoon to talk to the administrator. Apparently if this cannot be worked out, they can help place me somewhere else. I don't want that to be the case. And I am not happy about the fact that they've invested time and resources into training me. But to stay for 6-12 months before finding another job will just get me past training. And then if I do decide to leave,they're stuck training all over again. If my schedule cannot be worked out so that I am working reasonable hours, I don't know how this will work.

So it's things to consider.

Thanks for the input.

Ugh

kids/family changes the equation in your favor

Let HR know that you were hired and clearly stated from the gun the hours that you would work - then work ONLY those hours

work you day around getting out on time - if they don't like it don't worry about it - you are still doing your job

4x10 is enough, don't work for free - work as hard and fast as you can through the day, then be walking out the door at quitting time...

HR is your friend but they are like a used car sales man/armed service recruiter - you can't believe a word they say - keep them in the loop, explain your discontent and that your feeling will not change with time so they have only a few months to get you out of there..... Tell then straight up that you will be leaving if they can not get you into a different position. Then still work hard at the current job and don't give them a reason to dislike you.....

Hang in there - sometimes it just takes times to adapt to a new schedule (but don't work more then your commit as that is silly)

Ugh

kids/family changes the equation in your favor

Let HR know that you were hired and clearly stated from the gun the hours that you would work - then work ONLY those hours

work you day around getting out on time - if they don't like it don't worry about it - you are still doing your job

4x10 is enough, don't work for free - work as hard and fast as you can through the day, then be walking out the door at quitting time...

HR is your friend but they are like a used car sales man/armed service recruiter - you can't believe a word they say - keep them in the loop, explain your discontent and that your feeling will not change with time so they have only a few months to get you out of there..... Tell then straight up that you will be leaving if they can not get you into a different position. Then still work hard at the current job and don't give them a reason to dislike you.....

Hang in there - sometimes it just takes times to adapt to a new schedule (but don't work more then your commit as that is silly)

Yes, the whole kids thing throws a wrench in the plans. And probably the reason this is so upsetting to me. I love my babies and they're only young once.

I talked to the administrator today and he said that the section head is not caving at all. However, he did say that my job could possibly turn into mostly clinic...I'm not counting on that.

However, we did discuss my schedule. As the newest PA, I'd likely be scheduled inpatient floor Mon & Tue 8-6:30 (which is really more like 8-8), Wed off, and Thur & Fri 7-5:30 in clinic (more like 7-7 once I finish notes, etc). I'm also responsible for tumor board which takes up a chunk of time like 4-5 hours. Not sure when I'd get that done. So my biggest concern was that I may not see my kids from Sunday night until Wed morning given the time that I will likely work Mon & Tue. I guess the section head said that we should leave when our shift is over -- who is giving sign out to the next PA? Who is making sure the consults are covered? He doesn't get it...or doesn't care.

The administrator is new and he is disgruntled too. Little did I know he made a call (on my behalf) to the chief PA of the health system. The chief PA said that what has been done to me isn't right and it should be easy to transfer me elsewhere within the system given the demand for PAs and the fact that I'm already credentialed.

So my biggest decision is whether to pursue other opportunities. The administrator said he'd help me because he doesn't think this is right either. He even said that if I find a job within the hospital system, I can work in this dept until the new job is available, doing whatever I can do to help them.

I just have to decide if the $$ is worth it...but sometimes money isn't the only thing. I may have to take a $20K pay cut; but at least I'll see my kids grow up.

Thanks to all who've responded.

p.s. Just to see what would happen, I sent out a resume last night for a position elsewhere and they called today. I may pursue it, but I'd rather stay at this hospital...the benefits are probably some of the best in the state, if not country.

I just wanted to update this.

I had a meeting with the section head and dept administrator yesterday. At first I had planned on continue training but then look for jobs quietly. However, the section head said that he understands my frustration and wanted to make sure I want to do this job. At first I said I did, but then he went on and said he realized how much my kids mean to me and that I should not have to worry about a salary or benefit interruption. He essentially agreed that what has happened isn't cool, especially because no one was on the same page regarding my duties/hours. So I decided that I did want to pursue another job. And the dept is supportive. I will be staying on to take over clinic duties for a nurse who is leaving next week until I find another job. No pay or benefit interruption. :)

They gave me the option to stick it out or leave, mentioning that I was doing okay considering my training hasn't been the best. But they said I seem quite unhappy compared to when I first started and attributed that to the heavy workload and not getting to see my family. But they left the ultimate decision up to me, and I decided to walk away...and it was such a relief that I can stay on and help the dept while finding another job. And I already have several leads. :)

So, what I'm saying is that sometimes you have to follow your gut. My gut said this job wasn't for me and that no amount of $$ was worth it. I may take quite a pay cut, and that is expected. But I will get to see my kids every night, on weekends, and holidays. And I won't be in the OR. ;)

I just wanted to update this.

I had a meeting with the section head and dept administrator yesterday. At first I had planned on continue training but then look for jobs quietly. However, the section head said that he understands my frustration and wanted to make sure I want to do this job. At first I said I did, but then he went on and said he realized how much my kids mean to me and that I should not have to worry about a salary or benefit interruption. He essentially agreed that what has happened isn't cool, especially because no one was on the same page regarding my duties/hours. So I decided that I did want to pursue another job. And the dept is supportive. I will be staying on to take over clinic duties for a nurse who is leaving next week until I find another job. No pay or benefit interruption. :)

They gave me the option to stick it out or leave, mentioning that I was doing okay considering my training hasn't been the best. But they said I seem quite unhappy compared to when I first started and attributed that to the heavy workload and not getting to see my family. But they left the ultimate decision up to me, and I decided to walk away...and it was such a relief that I can stay on and help the dept while finding another job. And I already have several leads. :)

So, what I'm saying is that sometimes you have to follow your gut. My gut said this job wasn't for me and that no amount of $$ was worth it. I may take quite a pay cut, and that is expected. But I will get to see my kids every night, on weekends, and holidays. And I won't be in the OR. ;)

be proud of yourself - very well done and it only helps yourself and all other pa's out there!

I am unclear what you are doing now - are you covering a clinic or are you unemployed?

If you are unemployed I would request a letter or recomendation (if you are ever going to work in this hospital system again) as proof that it was an friendly break up - would not be the first time that someone said one thing to you and then said pretty crappy things to prospective employers..... a letter in your file at this point, even if it is neutral, protects you a little bit.

congrats!

be proud of yourself - very well done and it only helps yourself and all other pa's out there!

I am unclear what you are doing now - are you covering a clinic or are you unemployed?

If you are unemployed I would request a letter or recomendation (if you are ever going to work in this hospital system again) as proof that it was an friendly break up - would not be the first time that someone said one thing to you and then said pretty crappy things to prospective employers..... a letter in your file at this point, even if it is neutral, protects you a little bit.

congrats!

I am still working. We had a nurse coordinator leave the department yesterday. I am filling in for her until I find something else. I have several leads and will start interviewing soon. If I'm needed, I go to clinic and see patients for H&Ps since I can. Sometimes I'll do consults or remove chest tubes or other things as needed. So I'm helping out the department and they're helping me out.

The administrator said that I can stay around until I find something, especially because they need help, whether it's weeks or several months. If it's outside the health system, credentialing will take awhile. But if it's within the health system (which I hope it is -- we have amazing benefits), I'm already credentialed. I am going to apply for 3 jobs tonight, actually. And I cannot believe it, but a lead PA on a completely different service is feeding me inside info about upcoming jobs and leads. She doesn't even know me. People are so helpful when you explain your situation. My administrator is helping me out too. He has had several departments contact me.

There is a new twist, though. Apparently everyone likes having me around the office and the lead PA said that instead of hiring another nurse coordinator, they should use me in that role 2 days/week and then I should be in clinic 2 days/week. As a PA, I don't have to check about med refills, tests, etc. I can just order them. So she's going to market it as it would be more beneficial for the dept. It probably actually is because those 25 year veteran nurses make 86-90K. It wouldn't cost them much more to use me in that role. And I would really consider it if they offered it to me -- if it were put in writing. The two days in the coordinator role would allow me to finish my notes, prep tumor board, and answer calls, etc. The other two days would be clinic and tumor board days. I really think I'd love it. I love being in an office and in clinic. The only problem is that it makes too much sense. The section head will probably say he wants a nurse instead.

The good news is that the other jobs I'm interested in are opening up soon. One is bariatrics clinic and the other is plastics clinic. There is an ALS clinic too, but they're requesting someone with experience. I may still apply, though, as it sounds really interesting.

I am still working. We had a nurse coordinator leave the department yesterday. I am filling in for her until I find something else. I have several leads and will start interviewing soon. If I'm needed, I go to clinic and see patients for H&Ps since I can. Sometimes I'll do consults or remove chest tubes or other things as needed. So I'm helping out the department and they're helping me out.

The administrator said that I can stay around until I find something, especially because they need help, whether it's weeks or several months. If it's outside the health system, credentialing will take awhile. But if it's within the health system (which I hope it is -- we have amazing benefits), I'm already credentialed. I am going to apply for 3 jobs tonight, actually. And I cannot believe it, but a lead PA on a completely different service is feeding me inside info about upcoming jobs and leads. She doesn't even know me. People are so helpful when you explain your situation. My administrator is helping me out too. He has had several departments contact me.

There is a new twist, though. Apparently everyone likes having me around the office and the lead PA said that instead of hiring another nurse coordinator, they should use me in that role 2 days/week and then I should be in clinic 2 days/week. As a PA, I don't have to check about med refills, tests, etc. I can just order them. So she's going to market it as it would be more beneficial for the dept. It probably actually is because those 25 year veteran nurses make 86-90K. It wouldn't cost them much more to use me in that role. And I would really consider it if they offered it to me -- if it were put in writing. The two days in the coordinator role would allow me to finish my notes, prep tumor board, and answer calls, etc. The other two days would be clinic and tumor board days. I really think I'd love it. I love being in an office and in clinic. The only problem is that it makes too much sense. The section head will probably say he wants a nurse instead.

The good news is that the other jobs I'm interested in are opening up soon. One is bariatrics clinic and the other is plastics clinic. There is an ALS clinic too, but they're requesting someone with experience. I may still apply, though, as it sounds really interesting.

That sounds great!!

don't sell yourself sort on the pay side either - you are worth more then a veteran nurse as you can do the next step and have effective triage at a higher level.

You should be very happy with yourself - very well handled and you might just get a custom created job just for you!!

A final thought - don't apply for jobs that are open - put time into thinking where YOU want to work and what YOU want to do - create a job and then go out and find someone to hire you to do that job..... I have found this is really important for long term happiness as you are doing the things you want instead of someone else......

seriously great job! be proud

Archived