Having Children BEFORE or AFTER Physician Assistant school?

I've been thinking a lot about when should be the right time to start a family. I know that we don't really know what's gonna happen five years from now or a year, but a little planning can't hurt, right? Either way, I have a lot of questions!

Children: BEFORE or AFTER physician assistant school and why? Experiences?

If "before", do you think it's better to graduate from college, then start a 2 to 4-year break on producing children, more healthcare experience, shadowing, etc. And then start PA school?

If "after", do you think it's okay for someone to take 2-3 years off right after when they're finished with school? And then after when they're finished their break, they can start their career? I'm not talking about starting a career, then taking a break, and then jumping back into the career again.... I'm saying: finish PA school, get certified, then take a break, and then actually start their full-time/part-time career. Would it look bad to employers?

I think directly after graduation is prime time to further cement the new found knowledge and expand upon it. Your mind is fresh, accustomed to learning. You will also have fresh contacts for potential employment opportunities.

I know being a dad during PA school has been tough but the whole family knows that there is a positive end in sight. Personally I am not of the mind set to work this hard to get this far to only then shelf the very thing I have been striving for.

There was actually a post on the boards a while back where a young lady took a break after school to build a family and had difficulty finding work.

I feel very much like Steve....the info is there you should use it while its fresh....you know how the saying goes "if you dont use it, you lose it", I also worked very hard to get here and theres no way in the world I would put that on pause.

If i had to chose as a female student, whether or not I want to get pregnant before or after my program....I would do it after. I wouldnt put working on hold though. Im sort of biased in that I am going through my program as a single parent....probably would have been a tad easier with a spouse or no child but thems are the breaks:;;D: I would have never voluntarily gotten pregnant before or during school....it's stressful enough....luckily my child can do a lot for herself.

Now if I had a husband who wanted to go the PA route and we were discussing before or after...it wouldnt really matter to me I guess. If we decided to have kids before, I wouldnt let him take off no more than 2 years though. In two years he would gain good hce and wouldnt have to worry about pre-reqs expiring. If we decided to have kids after, I wouldnt let that keep him from starting a career ASAP. I mean student loans come due after 6 mos, we would have another mouth to feed....gotta work and if he''s gotta work, he might as well do what he paid a lot of money to learn how to do, right? Oh plus the reasons above. If he wanted to have kids while he's going through the program I might even consider that.

I'm planning on having a kid after. Keep in mind that FMLA does not kick in until you have been working for a year.

One plan is to graduate, find a job, and work for about six months before I start trying to get pregnant. That way I will be established in my job, done with any orientation, AND have hit the 12 month FMLA mark before my third trimester (in case there are any complications).

Okay, thank you!!! Thanks for donating your time to reply!! :=D:

One last question to verify the responses. So overall, you think it's better to graduate from college, go straight to PA school, get certified, then I work as a part-time junior PA? To be able to obtain more time in planning and raising a family? Good idea or bad idea?

Not necessarily straight from undergrad, but what I was trying to say is: after college (including a year off or two to strength my chances of acceptance), the next thing to do would be to go to PA school. After finishing PA school, start my career part-time so I can be able to raise and start a family.

Personally I would start full time...I probably wouldnt go down to part time until pregnancy made me do so (depending on the field I go into). Unless youre high risk you can work while pregnant....I did so CONSTANTLY on my feet while I was pregnant and I have seen many healthcare providers work that way. Unless you just want to start part time due to other reasons, i would put as much time into learning the profession/using your skills as possible fresh out of school. I dont (for me personally) feel like changes need to be made job wise unless dictated by health or when the baby is on the way. Plus you typically only have healthcare coverage as a FT employee....youre going to need that while preggo unless otherwise covered.

• 11 months later...

I got pregnant during PA School and was put on bedrest the day before graduation at 25 weeks pregnant..  Luckily it wasn't any ealrier or I would not have graduated.  I had my son, and took my certification exam.  The day after I got my results I found out I was pregnant again and chose to stay off my feet from the get go so I wouldn't have complications like I did with the previous pregnancy.  I had health complications and was not able to go to work after both pregnancies.  This time frame ended up being a few years and it is pretty much impossible to find a job.  I even said I would work without pay for a few months to show I could do it.  All the temp agancies do not want someone if they have been out over one year.  I am now supposed to do my recertification and am wondering if I should do it.  I am over $200,000 in debt and have been unable to use my degree.  I would highly suggest to anyone that they wait until they are established at a job before getting pregnant.  You just never know what will happen.  My plan was to graduate in May, take my exam, have him in early August and be at work in September of the same year.  It's hard to say I regret making that choice because I love my children, but I would advise anyone else to wait.  It is extremely, extremely stressful if you have any kind of student loan debt.  In addition, it is extremely hard and fristrating to know that you put in all that hard work and time and not able to work in that field.  I am still hoping.  :)

I don't understand why people ask these questions on message boards. This is a personal decision that should be between you and your significant other... and the answer is highly-dependent on things that only you know about yourself.

Can it be done? Of course it can. Is it easy? Probably not, but I doubt many parents would say children are easy no matter when you have them.

Archived