plantar fasciitis during rotations

Hello,

I have very high arches and very tight Achilles tendons. I also used to be a runner (have not had much time to work out over the past year of didactic) and seem to have developed plantar fasciitis. When I used to volunteer in the ER, I would be in excruciating pain within 3 hours of standing. I am now about to start rotations, and I am extremely worried about standing during my surgical rotations.

I would be interested in starting PT or seeing a podiatrist, but I am still in the didactic phase, and my program is not very understanding about leaving class to see the doctor. I've been advised to stretch and ice my feet, but I have Raynaud's disease, so the icing is not really an option for me. I try to stretch as much as possible, but it has not made a difference.

Does anyone have any other tips? While I want to get good surgical experiences, I was wondering if anyone could share with me some of the "shorter" procedures. Perhaps my program could try to get me on a service that does shorter surgeries where I won't be standing as long. I'm embarrassed to even have to write this; I hate sounding like I am trying to take the easy way out, but it is just so very painful.

Thank you.

I can't help with any information on surgical rotations, but I have dealt with plantar fasciitis many times. In the army, the "standard" treatment would be motrin 800mg three times a day* I would also check roadrunner sports ** online store. Two pair of the correct running shoes (use the shoe dog search feature) one for work the other for running might help. I also like the footlog roller (golf balls work well too), arch support, and some compression socks. Those all have provided some relief to me in the past while my tendons adjusted to a new workload.

* check with your healthcare provider before starting any drug regimen. I have no training whatsoever in pharmacology.

** I do not receive compensation from RRS. I just like their customer service. I'm sure other brands work fine

Wouldn't it be easier to miss a few hours to see someone than specially request a rotation? I think it makes more sense to do that, plan ahead, inform those who need to know, and see if you can get a friend to record the lecture for you and go over anything you have questions about after. I would imagine if you made that request, they would want to know if you had seen someone about your feet, but I don't know your program.

In the army additional common suggestions were night splint boots, rolling a tennis ball or cold soda can with your foot, and orthotics. Personally I found that the better my shoes, the less my discomfort, and massaging my feet helped a little. Stretch your achilles, ankles, and calf muscles. While you're at it, stretch everything else. It's usually good for you. (Downward dog is a good one if you work on getting your heels down on the ground.) Don't wear high heeled shoes. I like BIOFREEZE for almost everything too. You might have to buy it at a PT or massage therapy office, or online. You can also try taping it, although I don't personally know much about that. Here's a link with instructions: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/foot-heel-pain/plantar-fasciitis/taping-plantar-fasciitis

Get a really good pair of shoes. Dansko's seem to be popular. I have the same issue being on my feet with high arches as an ER Tech presently. Stretching helps but doesn't do enough and eventually that pain in my case traveled to my right lumbar and hip. What's helped me the most is getting a good pair of shoes with good insoles. On top of that try to find opportunities to get off your feet when you can (ie sit when writing notes, pull up a stool when speaking to patients as they are seated as well, etc.). Also hitting the hot tub and getting a foot massager from brookstone has helped to. Outside of that I wish I knew more on what more to suggest.

I recently experienced this for the first time during this, my fifth of eight rotations. It was on a day when I wore a pair of ill-advised (but cute) shoes with almost no arch. The pain was so bad I was limping and it started to really affect the ipsilateral knee.

The problem largely went away after two days of intense foot massage at every opportunity, ibuprofen morning, noon, and night, and a return to my trusty Danskos. I don't care if I look ridiculous wearing them with white socks, at least I won't have that agony again.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived