Is Phi Theta Kappa worth it?

Hey everyone, I wanted some opinion on this invitation I got from my school's Phi Theta Kappa chapter. Basically they sent it because of my GPA. I could join, but I think it costs money. I guess I could put in on my applications, but is it overstating the fact I have a decent GPA?

The other issue is I am living on student loan money to get through prereq classes. I don't think it's a good use of loan money, but what do you all think.

It looks good as an honor on your app and a better if you hold an office (locally or nationally--speaks to leadership abilities), you can also rack up hours of community service (most chapters require it) and you have great opportunity for scholarship money (I got phi theta money immediately upon transfer....no app required)

I enjoyed it....I joined, looked schnazzy when I graduated, got a pin and a few grand a year when I transferred to my 4 year....and all it cost me was keeping up my GPA and 90 bucks in dues....

I hem-hawed about it for a few semesters, then took a poll on Facebook, and the consensus was that it was worth the one-time fee to join and get to put it on your resume and honors section for CASPA. ... And, if you don't yet have an undergrad degree and plan to transfer to a 4-year school, the society has good clout scholarship-money wise. For example, it can be worth $5,000 in scholarship money to a couple schools close to me. Have also gotten lots of mailers from out-of-state colleges offering application invites for bigger scholarships. ... Just don't waste money on having your name added to the Phi Theta Kappa book that they pimp out to members. I don't know how much the book costs. Probably like $50 (similar to that Who's Who Among ... garbage money grab books).

I viewed the honor society offers as PA shadowing hours: I thought it was pointless, but did it nonetheless to add it to my application. I'm not sure if it did anything for my successful admissions other than making my undergrad graduation gown have a bit of color with the honor cords that comes with belonging to an honor society. I'm sure if your GPA is high enough to warrant an honor society invite, it's high enough to warrant an interview. I shelled out the $60 or however much it cost for the one time fee, though.

Very disappointed that people feel that way about Phi Theta.....I hope people do realize that the fact they werent able to get any unique volunteer experiences (or any at all for that matter) is really the fault of your schools chapter and not the organization itself. It's the responsibility of your charters officers to make things like that available to you.

As far as the whos whos and some of those other "honors", yes they are crap, but when it comes to things that actually have campus charters, its the charters responsibility to provide you guys with opportunities, perhaps you should let them know how you feel.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived