Medic to PA program at UNC-CH?

This was sent to my by a fellow PA - from the News and Observer, December 4, 2012. Never heard of an insurance company being involved in something like this before.

By Jay Price - jprice@newsobserver.com

Tags: UNC-Chapel Hill | veterans | Special Forces | medics | physician assistants

CHAPEL HILL -- UNC-Chapel Hill and Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina are teaming up to fight the state’s shortage of health care professionals by turning veteran military medics into civilian physician assistants.

University and BCBS of North Carolina officials on Monday announced a new master’s degree program at the university’s School of Medicine designed for veteran medics who have left the military. The two-year program is being developed with input from the U.S. Army Special Operations Command at Fort Bragg, and will focus on bringing more primary care services to under-served parts of the state. It’s expected to include training rotations at UNC hospitals and at free clinics around North Carolina.

The curriculum will be designed to build on the extensive medical training that military medics have already received.

Blue Cross Blue Shield has pledged $1.2 million over the next four years to help jump-start the program. The money will help pay for creating the curriculum and hiring staff, and also will provide scholarships for Special Forces medics who have left the military.

“It’s a simple equation: We need more physician assistants in North Carolina, and our veterans want the job,” Brad Wilson, president and CEO of BCBSNC, said in a statement. “When these medics return home, they’ll have the opportunity to take their experience in the field and use it to advance their careers and continue to care for patients.”

Nearly 1 million North Carolina residents live in areas that have shortages of health care professionals, and the problem has been growing worse, mirroring a national trend..

Medics, apparently, are keen on the idea of staying in health care after their military careers are done.

A national survey of Special Forces medics found that 9 out of 10 wanted to pursue a health care career outside the military, and half were interested in becoming physician assistants.

The university plans to enroll the first students in the UNC Master’s of Physicians Assistant Studies program in 2015.

I am all for it. About time a program existed which takes only ex military medics or corpsman and gives them direct access to PA school. I am looking forward to a head to head comparison of these graduates and the just down the road Duke program which has pretty much gone the female candy striper minimal PRE education medical experience route.

I hope this program becomes a major source of ex military PAs. And wish them every sucess.

The program starting in 2014 at gardner-webb university in NC will also give preference to those with significant prior medical experience. The director, a good friend of mine, is a former air force survival instructor . I think his program will end up being "medex-east" within a decade. he is setting up required overseas and health provider shortage area rotations. should be a VERY solid program.

A word of caution. I think this program is only looking at SF medics (18D). Things may have changed, but the last time I rehacked my ATP at the JSOMT they were discussing this and and pretty much said it was 18D only. The Navy SO/IDC's who went through the SOCOM long course may be eligible, but the SEAL, CA and AF guys who went through the short course (7 month course) are not. Not complaining, the long course is no joke...gives them a huge advantage.

A word of caution. I think this program is only looking at SF medics (18D). Things may have changed, but the last time I rehacked my ATP at the JSOMT they were discussing this and and pretty much said it was 18D only. The Navy SO/IDC's who went through the SOCOM long course may be eligible, but the SEAL, CA and AF guys who went through the short course (7 month course) are not. Not complaining, the long course is no joke...gives them a huge advantage.

It is a start.

And, in my estimation, a return to solid PAs who can walk off TGE graduation platform and into a job, and hit the ground running,with minimal if any " break in"time.

I am semi retired now, but if I am ever in a position to hire ( or influence the hiring of) PAs again, ANY of these graduates will get hired.. All they need to do is submit their application. I will hire them without even much of an interview, over ANY other program.. Duke, Yale, Emory, gw ( my alma mater), Sanford, Arizona, Nebraska, ... Anywhere. ( unless the other program applicants have similar military credentials).

Too many times I have hired or worked with stellar academic graduates who did not know dick about surgical fields, suturing, or have any significant abilities in the procedure or technical side of practicing either emergency or critical care ( lines, taps, numbers). Or who had an 8-5 mentality.

These guys will come in, straight, sober, and "can-do", will do what it takes to get the job done, will not spend a lot of time worrying about staying late, will show up even if they feel badly, and will be an immediate asset.

I hope, if it is limited to the 18 deltas, that soon they will expand it to the 8425, 8402s and the 8404s, and even the 18bravos. I would venture that these guys will have a 100 % employment upon graduation rate.

Haven't been this excited about a program in a long time. Duke has lost a lot of its luster for me.. Its grads seem to have assumed an entitlement attitude they simply haven't earned.

Of course them heels rule.. But the wolfpack is a good second, if you gotta go with some other school!

The program starting in 2014 at gardner-webb university in NC ...

Although GWU appreciates the kind words, it is important to mention we are not accredited and cannot guarentee a January 2014 start date. Our official statement is:

"Gardner-Webb University has applied for provisional accreditation from the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). Gardner-Webb anticipates matriculating its first class in January 2014, pending provisional accreditation in September 2013. Provisional accreditation is an accreditation status for a new PA program that has not yet enrolled students, but at the time of its comprehensive accreditation review, has demonstrated its preparedness to initiate a program in accordance with the accreditation Standards."

Thank you.

Greg Davenport, DHSc., PA-C

Dean and Program Director

Gardner-Webb University

Although GWU appreciates the kind words, it is important to mention we are not accredited and cannot guarentee a January 2014 start date. Our official statement is: "Gardner-Webb University has applied for provisional accreditation from the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). Gardner-Webb anticipates matriculating its first class in January 2014, pending provisional accreditation in September 2013. Provisional accreditation is an accreditation status for a new PA program that has not yet enrolled students, but at the time of its comprehensive accreditation review, has demonstrated its preparedness to initiate a program in accordance with the accreditation Standards."

Thank you.

Gardner-Webb University

Congrats and wishing you and the Program nothing but success.

LesH

Although GWU appreciates the kind words, it is important to mention we are not accredited and cannot guarentee a January 2014 start date. Our official statement is:

"Gardner-Webb University has applied for provisional accreditation from the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). Gardner-Webb anticipates matriculating its first class in January 2014, pending provisional accreditation in September 2013. Provisional accreditation is an accreditation status for a new PA program that has not yet enrolled students, but at the time of its comprehensive accreditation review, has demonstrated its preparedness to initiate a program in accordance with the accreditation Standards."

Thank you.

Gardner-Webb University

Would be nice if you could configure the admissions req like Texas Tech's progam which doesn't require a BA but still grants a Masters upon graduation. You'd have a stand out program!!

Would be nice if you could configure the admissions req like Texas Tech's progam which doesn't require a BA but still grants a Masters upon graduation. You'd have a stand out program!!

I passed this on to Greg.

I expect his program to be incredible. we have discussed the curriculum at length and if I was starting from scratch I would apply to this program when it comes on line.

I hope, if it is limited to the 18 deltas, that soon they will expand it to the 8425, 8402s and the 8404s, and even the 18bravos. I would venture that these guys will have a 100 % employment upon graduation rate.

This is a general misunderstanding of the program. The reason they are only accepting 18D's only is because they are giving credit and waiving pre-requisits based on the SOCOM long course at the JSOMT. The Navy, regular Army, and AF medical training courses are not considered for transfer or waiverability in this program. It has little to do with what an 18D does and everything to do with the curriculum of their medical training. The JSOMT got smart/did the work and proved that their basic science coursed were equivilant to the university level courses. Unfortunately, the other military medical courses cannot do the same.

I do share your optimism, and hope they start looking at the other services/MOS's. All SOC medic identifiers, should be looked at.

I have two close 18D friends and co-workers (I'm non-military), and I say this very humbly...I can perform with the best of them. Don't forget about some of the rest of us! I'm not your run of the mill candy striper...

I'm not trying to turn this into a competition, and I absolutely know and see the differences in training and experience. By the same token, if we are talking about "employability", I want to be considered just as desirable.

I'm pretty sure that nobody meant any harm, but that does get to me every once and a while. I put a lot of effort and pride into my craft (EMS/ER Tech) and continuing education. All I would want is my resume not to get thrown off the desk when being considered for a job!

Edit: I think the program is a great idea, and wish I had that kind of opportunity.

I have two close 18D friends and co-workers (I'm non-military), and I say this very humbly...I can perform with the best of them. Don't forget about some of the rest of us! I'm not your run of the mill candy striper...

I'm not trying to turn this into a competition, and I absolutely know and see the differences in training and experience. By the same token, if we are talking about "employability", I want to be considered just as desirable.

I'm pretty sure that nobody meant any harm, but that does get to me every once and a while. I put a lot of effort and pride into my craft (EMS/ER Tech) and continuing education. All I would want is my resume not to get thrown off the desk when being considered for a job!

Edit: I think the program is a great idea, and wish I had that kind of opportunity.

I am the culprit.

I do not consider EMS/ ER Techs to be candy strippers, by any means.

All the hours you work in either position certainly counts as legitimate patient care and pre education medical experience. No offense meant.

However, I would hesitate to equate EMS in any capacity equal to combat medics/corpsman.

My opinion is that these guys have more than paid their dues,and deserve head of the line consideration. Which does not seem to be happening.. most programs preferring academics over true patient care experience.

Is a sorta generational thing.. I come from the era of PAs which were almost exclusively Vets.

If you research my posts, you will find a consistent philosophy that PAs should be generated from, and we should encourage applications from, Medics, Corpsman, ER/ICU/CCU Nurses, EMTs, Paramedics, and that extra points be given these candidates.

I am the culprit.

All the hours you work in either position certainly counts as legitimate patient care and pre education medical experience. No offense meant.

However, I would hesitate to equate EMS in any capacity equal to combat medics/corpsman.

My opinion is that these guys have more than paid their dues,and deserve head of the line consideration. Which does not seem to be happening.. most programs preferring academics over true patient care experience.

Is a sorta generational thing.. I come from the era of PAs which were almost exclusively Vets.

If you research my posts, you will find a consistent philosophy that PAs should be generated from, and we should encourage applications from, Medics, Corpsman, ER/ICU/CCU Nurses, EMTs, Paramedics, and that extra points be given these candidates.

You are correct RC, I'm with you sadly too many PA programs aren't!!!!!!

I am the culprit.

I have read your posts, and do feel like I understand and agree with what you are saying. However, I want to make my point more clear. I perceive my value to be related to my judgement. This is a quality that is multifaceted in practice, and in a constant state of development. These are things that by default are built into your average 18D. I get that. They are qualities that are far from exclusive, however. I can make decisions, work in a team, learn, grow, adapt, and use good judgement with the best of them. I feel strongly that overall judging of a healthcare professional does not come down to his checked off privilege list. What of a civilian flight medic on a busy service (not quite me yet)? Are we going to have a measuring stick contest based on scope of practice and familiarity with procedures? Or will we (those judging new and potential PAs and not only their backgrounds) look at the well rounded candidate?

Ironically enough, the three of us who work in the ED together garner a lot of respect for not being "those techs" that chase down every trauma and STEMI only to neglect the U pregs and vitals. We take a lot of pride in that.

We are not disagreeing. I again would point out that your current and future patient and medical experiences will help validate your PA school application. And each hour will increase the strength of that application.

Again, my bias is ex military. That Bias is up front. It does not necessarily PRECLUDE non ex military guys, but... But... Several years of hiring experience has led me to conclude that, all other things being equal, the military guys outshine the non vets. Almost 100 percent of the time.

God favored Able over Cain. I favor the military vets. I do not try to disrespect the non military PAs, and have hired and worked with many. However, when I look back at 30 plus years of doing this job, the group which has consistently required less hand holding, less schedule manipulations, been more adaptable to the vagaries of complex practices, are the military men and ladies.

If you come to me with solid credentials and can hit the road running with minimal need for help doing the job ( rarely have to show the ex military guys how to suture, to insert a line, to apply a cast, to reduce a fracture or dislocation, ).. Then I will probably gladly hire you. If you cannot do these things, but will be able to pick them up quickly, then i will probably hire you ( not all ex mil guys have done all the procedures I want them credentialed in, either).

However, if your application is side by side with an otherwise equal applicant, who just happens to be ex military, then I will chose the vet.

It is, after all, my choice.

It is not discriminating.. It is my preference.

You really want to work for me? Join up, do a tour or two, get your college out of the way, and become an Able.

Please, let us not make a mountain out of this molehill.. I am conceding that your path currently will, and should, solidify your candidacy for PA school.

I merely am glad to see a school seemingly designed to open the door to combat vets... With whom I have a particular affinity.

We are not disagreeing. I again would point out that your current and future patient and medical experiences will help validate your PA school application. And each hour will increase the strength of that application.

Again, my bias is ex military. That Bias is up front. It does not necessarily PRECLUDE non ex military guys, but... But... Several years of hiring experience has led me to conclude that, all other things being equal, the military guys outshine the non vets. Almost 100 percent of the time.

God favored Able over Cain. I favor the military vets. I do not try to disrespect the non military PAs, and have hired and worked with many. However, when I look back at 30 plus years of doing this job, the group which has consistently required less hand holding, less schedule manipulations, been more adaptable to the vagaries of complex practices, are the military men and ladies.

If you come to me with solid credentials and can hit the road running with minimal need for help doing the job ( rarely have to show the ex military guys how to suture, to insert a line, to apply a cast, to reduce a fracture or dislocation, ).. Then I will probably gladly hire you. If you cannot do these things, but will be able to pick them up quickly, then i will probably hire you ( not all ex mil guys have done all the procedures I want them credentialed in, either).

However, if your application is side by side with an otherwise equal applicant, who just happens to be ex military, then I will chose the vet.

It is, after all, my choice.

It is not discriminating.. It is my preference.

You really want to work for me? Join up, do a tour or two, get your college out of the way, and become an Able.

Please, let us not make a mountain out of this molehill.. I am conceding that your path currently will, and should, solidify your candidacy for PA school.

I merely am glad to see a school seemingly designed to open the door to combat vets... With whom I have a particular affinity.

Fair enough. I certainly respect what military medics do.

Archived