Relocation: Physical vs. Financial assistance

I've got an offer that includes relocation assistance in the form of movers and shipment of a car. For a few reasons, neither of these is helpful to me, but the move will be really difficult financially speaking. This is an organization with 900 or so providers, and the benefits (otherwise) are *amazing*. When I asked for a lump sum, I got "No, we never do that. I guess we could pay for a U-haul..."

Am I missing something or am I right to want to fight for what I need here? If the latter, what do I say to make it happen?

Not sure what other expenses you could ask for. But sounds like they just want to reimburse your actual moving. I guess if they want you bad enough they could come up with some cash. Or if you want the job bad enough you'll work it out.

I had a job that reimbursed me for my uhaul and that was it.

I may be reading too much between the lines (it's a disorder I have) but your request sounds like you want the estimated cost of a professional move given to you in a lump sum, then allow you to distribute those funds as you see fit.

Most reasonable folks know that you can pull the move off for far less money than a professional moving company and thus, you stand to make some profit in the endeavor. Seeing how you mention a financial stress, I can understand your desire for such a plan.

However, you are going to work for an organization that thrives because they make sound business choices. If they extended the lump sum to their 900 employees and overpaid the move by $1000 per provider, that would be a net loss of almost a million dollars. It seems the larger the business, the less they are inclined to make exceptions because once precedence has been set, they stand to deal the backlash of a lot more people wanting the same treatment.

I totally understand financial hardships, trust me. But ask yourself...are there any other options OTHER than planting your name on the radar of the human resource team from the very start? Sounds like the job is a solid deal for you but with so many other providers, it sounds like the organization is quite skilled at finding providers and it will be no great impact to NOT have you show up to work.

I wouldn't rock the boat for an extra thousand when you stand to make 100 times that much in the first year of employment. But that's just me.

Here is some food for thought. My wife and I recently relocated across the country, literally from Seattle, WA to VA. I was given a 5K relocation bonus. We moved our household goods, and shipped 1 car. Granted this money helped, but it did not cover the entire cost. I dont know the mileage you are required to cover, but it is all relative; the further the more expensive and the reciprocal.

I would look into Pack-rat, it is like PODs, but in our case $900 less expensive for the same exact service. U-haul long distance is a huge rip-off IMHO. Also, unless this company has their own auto shipper, do not use a middle man for shipping your car, again, it is far more expensive if you do it that way.

Seeing as they will not provide you with a lump sum, I guess it will be tacked on to your 1st paycheck? Know that this will be taxed a shload, and also know all of your moving expenses are tax deductible, so this will help when Unkie Sugar comes collecting.

Finally, make sure both this new company and you have all your ducks in a row, and credentialing will happen when they say it is supposed to happen, otherwise you will be delayed in working = waiting for money. This was a bit long winded, sorry. Please feel free to PM if you have any specific questions about moving etc. Best of luck

I moved cross country. I was given $2000 relocation and I used every cent of it, and only $85 over due to the fact I was a poor graduated PA (still am.. first pay check comes this week... YAY). Yes, U-haul is a rip off unless you have no other choice. I did the upack POD which turned out to be amazing. I packed and unpacked the pod myself and it shipped xc for $1200. Then you add packing supplies, gas, and hotels and you got $2000.... Lucky I was just moving myelf. I would ask for whatever makes life easier for you, as it is a stressful time. The worst thing that will happen is they will say no. Good luck. :;-D:

Archived