Hello I’m a PA with 11 years experience who has worked in hospitalists medicine for over 9, various places.  I’ve been at the same low salary for the past 5 years. 105k 7 on 7 off capped at 8 admissions per day 3-11, no PTO no sick days (have to be made up). I had a talk with them and as a result Ive been offered 125k with quarterly bonuses with an increase in patients. 2500 cme with licenses and fees to come out of the 2500

Pros: Fully Autonomous, flexible on start time, good rapport with boss. Typically done with my cap in 7hrs per day. Essentially working 56 hrs every two weeks, making the hourly rate pretty good. Possibly able to still complete a shift in 9hrs with new cap proposal. 

Cons: Poor communication in the office. Sometimes travel between two facilities  

I reached out to another hospital system in town and the local competition is willing to pay 128k base with 10k bonus divided quarterly. 2500 cme and pay for licensing and fees.  Shift will be ten hrs. 2-midnight. No cap on admissions however told typically 6-7 admissions per night  

Pros. No travel required, 

Cons: no access to doc lounge (wth!), likely present every patient to supervising doc, don’t eat free with exception of “doc area” buffet that closes at the start of my shift. Longer shifts.

My question is are these competitive numbers for the year we are in and also which seems to be the better option?

Edited by Moxkkpsi
Deleted

Depending on patient acuity, 6-7 admissions in those 10 hours might be a lot. I work 10 hour admitter shifts and my cap is 5 (they are usually very high acuity). I have no other responsibilities beyond those patients I admit - are they expecting you to do other floor work or cover pagers?

The no PTO/sick time is rotten. Would the new place offer you PTO?

As a PA with over 16 years experience in ICU and surgery who recently got burnt out. Quit my job in summer after 8 years of working for a group.  My advice is stay where you are 3K is not going to make or break you. Your current job seems more flexible- you cannot place a price on flexibility.  You have established relationship with your current employer and everything in life is about relationships. Jumping the ship you will have to form new ones - which is not a bad thing but then you start from the bottom of the pole which is not always easy. 

I have a recent job offer for 118K 7on/7off with a pretty large institution in Durham NC. I used to make 150K but my job was incredibly stressful and painful- I lasted 8 years because I felt I had no option. I knew it was time to leave when I started to get short with my loved ones.  The salary offer I have is painful  but will take the job as I have been out of work for a minute and need to replenish my savings. 

Remember the grass is not always greener on the other side. My 2 cents. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Hello, I know this thread is old. Transitioning out of an academic ICU as a PA to a critical access hospital, as a hospitalist PA. 10h shifts, 7 on 7 off. Are there any specific questions that I need to ask, that you wish you knew, or know now to ask? Also, are their any negatives to 7/7 that you have found? Early in my career. Thank you

• Upvote 1

I do EM in a critical access hospital and cover the IP unit at night.  The two biggest things you should ask about are: a) what resources you have available and b) how's the culture.  For example, at night I have 2 nurses or 1 nurse and 1 medic in the ED and the floor has 2 nurses and sometimes 1 tech.  1 rad tech and 1 lab tech complete the entire night shift.  No R or other specialized ancillary staff.  You probably won't have all the meds, tools, etc that you're used to in an academic center.  Also, you may not have any other provider other than the ED provider in the building or even close enough to come in.  Since it's a small facility there will be a small staff.  Often they're very close knit group.  If  you fit in well there's nothing better, but if you don't it won't be fun.

• Upvote 1