Low GPA

Hey guys,

I just wanted to get some feedback from you regarding my stats. My undergrad GPA was 2.7. Something that I'm absolutely horrified of. My original major was Business Administration. A couple of years ago I got an MBA in Healthcare Admin with a 4.0 GPA. I am now returning to school in order to get all the pre-reqs and then apply to various PA programs. So far, I am doing really well and will be having a GPA between 3.3 and 3.5. I am taking pretty much all science courses so my science GPA will be high, considering I only took one science course in my original undergrad. What are your thoughts on my chances in getting into PA school? I am fairly confident if I get an interview I will be able to explain my previous stats. Will I have a better chance since I have a master's degree?

Thanks

Rob

Absolutely you have a good shot. Do well in your prerequisites. You're in a way better starting point then I was when I started the journey to become a PA. My undergrad was in communications and I did horrible 2.31 GPA. I got my MBA a little later and got a 3.69 GPA. I then took 44 units all science prerequisites and got a 4.0 GPA. My GPA at the time of application was a 2.93. I start PA school in July 2013.

What you'll need to do to help your chances besides doing well in your science prerequisites is also have healthcare experience that is paid where you have direct contact with patients (ie EMT, MA, CNA, EKG Tech, etc) as well as some volunteer / community service. The ball is in your court.l and you control your destiny. Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Absolutely you have a good shot. Do well in your prerequisites. You're in a way better starting point then I was when I started the journey to become a PA. My undergrad was in communications and I did horrible 2.31 GPA. I got my MBA a little later and got a 3.69 GPA. I then took 44 units all science prerequisites and got a 4.0 GPA. My GPA at the time of application was a 2.93. I start PA school in July 2013.

What you'll need to do to help your chances besides doing well in your science prerequisites is also have healthcare experience that is paid where you have direct contact with patients (ie EMT, MA, CNA, EKG Tech, etc) as well as some volunteer / community service. The ball is in your court.l and you control your destiny. Best of luck!

Ha, that's awesome you got accepted, where you going? I also did comm BA with 2.8 so that's good info for me to know. I've compensated for my low cum. gpa with lots of other volunteer and hce, etc. I've started getting interviews so we'll see if I'm able to overcome like you.

Ha, that's awesome you got accepted, where you going? I also did comm BA with 2.8 so that's good info for me to know. I've compensated for my low cum. gpa with lots of other volunteer and hce, etc. I've started getting interviews so we'll see if I'm able to overcome like you.

I'll be starting Touro Nevada in July 2013. Ya, comm was fun.. I did good in that major but had already jacked up my GPA from trying out other majors first (5 to be exact).

That's great your getting interviews! Just be yourself, smile (maybe crack a joke or two when appropriate and not during the interview), and I'm sure you'll do alright. Remember they already think your good enough for the program so they sent you an interview invitation. Now it's just time to show them that in person!

• 4 weeks later...

Yah you will be fine, just keep on doing what you're doing!! (assuming your plan includes quality HCE)

My undergrad GPA was a 3.09 (finished w/ a spanish major after a miserable 3 years of biochem)...science GPA closer to a 2.5 or less. Three years later, 24 credit hours of post-bacc science classes (4.0), 3000+ hours of HCE, great GRE, and other stuff (health educator, research) and I just got accepted to PA school for fall 2013. You can DEFINITELY do it. Just stay focused! Good luck to you!

while looking through programs a few years ago I noticed that quite a few focus more on the GPA of the last degree earned. Combined you still have a pretty nice GPA. Keep in mind that CASPA calculates GPAs separately (BS, MS, post grad...) and will also calculate every attempt so if that 2.7 or 4.0 is after taking a class more than once than you will see a decrease in your GPA. I would go through and calculate each on my own to see what Im working with.

As far as sciences, not sure how many you have taken and how many you have left but ace them, its important that you do. It's one thing to maintain a 4.0 in non-science and another in science courses....show them you mean business and that you have truly overcome whatever hit you in undergrad:wink:

Im not sure what kind of hce experience you have....have you been working in healthcare administration or do you have direct patient care? If you have not done either...find something that lest you work hands on. If you have been working in administration, check with the programs youre interested in and see if they will accept that...some programs want you working hands on with patients, some are ok with exposure.

Archived