Got an interview, but was waitlisted or rejected. What went wrong?

I'll go first.

Last year I got one interview. I thought I did a solid job of preparing myself, but looking back I felt I made some mistakes that lead me to being waitlisted. The big mistake I think I made was that I put to much emphasis on how I would practice medicine once I became a PA. I think if I focused on my goals as a student in their program and not so much as a PA post graduation the school would of given me more consideration.

I would love some input on this matter and hopefully hear some stories about where you might have made mistakes so we can learn from each other. Thankfully I have a few interviews lined up for this cycle and I dont want to make the same mistake twice.

• 3 weeks later...

I interviewed at 3 schools and got rejected from one, waitlisted at another, and accepted into one. I felt like all 3 interviews went well, so I'm not sure why things panned out the way they did. There were definitely a few things I wish I would have elaborated on or things I wish I would've said, and after my interviews I just took time to reflect on how they went and learned from any mistakes I think I might've made. That being said, I don't think you should overthink your situation too much or be too hard on yourself! It's an accomplishment within itself to get an interview. You might've had a great interview, but as we all know there are a lot of qualified applicants out there and just because you were waitlisted doesn't mean you weren't good for their program, it just meant they found other applicants that they thought were a better fit for them. I think the best thing you can do for your upcoming interviews is to look up practice questions, research the program and have a very solid understanding of their curriculum, and, if you're a nervous interviewer, practice with a friend! Also remember they go over your application again after your interview and take that information into consideration again in addition to the interview. Just be yourself and have confidence and things will work out. If you feel like you made mistakes last time, learn from them and keep looking forward. Good luck!

• Administrator

One thing I learned is that you're not there to interview the school about whether they're a good fit for you or not. Don't ask them any hard questions when an opportunity is offered, because they really don't want to answer questions about why they were on probation or why their PANCE rates dropped one year. Get your acceptance first, and THEN ask questions before you give them a deposit.

One thing I learned is that you're not there to interview the school about whether they're a good fit for you or not. Don't ask them any hard questions when an opportunity is offered, because they really don't want to answer questions about why they were on probation or why their PANCE rates dropped one year. Get your acceptance first, and THEN ask questions before you give them a deposit.

Ahhh THANK YOU for this advice. I started preparing today for an interview in January and wrote down some questions that I might wait to ask later...good point!

I asked tough questions that were pertinent to the specific program and they were very pleased that I asked questions that reflected my sincere concerns. This only goes to show that rev ronin isnt wrong in his advice, but that you are being interviewed by human beings. Each program and each interviewer has their own idea of what an ideal applicant is like. This may have nothing to do with your capability to be a great PA. Just be yourself, and prepare enough so you can have the confidence to be yourself.

I agree with mkels - at all of the schools I applied at, they specifically stated that this is not a one way street - they are definitely interviewing you, but you are also interviewing them! You want to make sure that their program is a good fit for you as well. If there are any "tough" questions that need asking, ASK - you want to make sure that the programs are doing something to rectify any issues they may have, and that they are constantly critiquing their program and finding ways to improve and keep up with the changing times. In my opinion, asking questions (including the tough ones) demonstrates that you have done your homework, and that can only be a benefit. I made sure to ask a number of questions specific to each program that I interviewed at, and didn't shy away from the not-so-glamorous ones. It worked for me!

I think there is a middle ground there. I agree that you need to ask the questions that are on your mind and that if done properly, it shows your sincere interest in making sure you will be a good fit for the school and vice versa. However, grilling the interviewer about PANCE rates, attrition, and probation status doesn't send a great message either. You want to be aware of how you are portraying yourself. Too many hardball questions in a row and you start looking like someone they might want to pass on for the next class (students the faculty have to interact with for at least a year). But a couple of thoughtful questions framed in a positive way will go far in showing off how honest you are about your education and goals.

I agree with Greenmod. On the one hand, who better to answer your pressing questions than the folks running the program you're interested in. On the other hand, do not treat it like a Congressional hearing where you bombard them with questions that make the program look bad. I treated each of my PA school interviews like a job interview, and I'm always of the mindset that a good prepared question or two shows the interviewer that I am serious about their program and that I have done my homework. My piece of advice is to not shoot yourself in the foot by asking a question that gets a response of "If you look on your website, you will find the answer to your question". Find a middle ground, and have a thoughtful question prepared or simply thank the interviewer for their their time and the opportunity to interview at their program. Good luck on your next application cycle!

Archived