HCE in Nutrition, Conflicting Information

Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone out there had any information or first-hand experience dealing with the current predicament I'm in....

I graduated May 2012 with a BS (with honors) in Dietetics, which directly prepared me to go into a dietetic internship to receive my RD credential. However, RD was never my "end goal", it was PA.

After graduating, I was faced with the decision to either:

(a) Apply to and complete an RD internship. Expensive, programs run anywhere from 8mo - 2yrs, placement is competitive. Then, after obtaining my RD, practice for a year or two, THEN apply to PA school using the RD experience as my HCE. OR...

(b) Aim straight for my end goal, and spend my time grooming myself specifically for PA schools, rather than the RD internship.

At first, I went with option (a), and had started building my application on DICAS (same thing as CASPA, just for dietetic internships). Then I did a class audit at USC, and spoke with one of the directors. I told her my plan, and she advised me that I was wasting my time pursuing my RD with the intent of using it for HCE, reason being, most schools don't consider RD direct patient care.

After thinking this over, I chucked option (a) for option (b). Now the problem is I don't have HCE, nor do I have any sort of license/certificate/credential to get said HCE. Of course I have considered taking a course at the local community college to get a certificate for EMT-b, MA or tech of some sort. I just can't help but feel as though in doing so I'm taking a step backwards when I compare an RD to a tech. To me, I feel as though an RD is higher on the healthcare "totem pole" so to speak, and I have a hard time understanding why massage therapy or various techs count as direct HCE, but a dietitian does not.

Was I given poor information? Anyone out there struggle with something similar regarding their HCE? All matters of opinions/advice welcome.

My school counts nutrition/dietician as HCE because you technically are working with pts. As far as actual experience IMHO it doesn't compare to CNA or EMT but hey who the hell am I to judge??? These students are good students and knowing nutrition does play a role in medicine.

CNA if time. If no time/desire to do that, look for schools that specifically are okay with nutritionist (call them/email them). Then scrap up some quick hours volunteering. Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...

Kma14, I think your best option is to choose a few schools you are interested in and look on their websites to see if they provide examples of acceptable HCE. If none are provided or RD is not included, why not just call or send a very short email? After spending some time on this forum, I have noticed that quite a few RDs have been accepted to PA programs with their HCE. You could also look at the stats of accepted students sticky and see if any RDs are on there, but personally I would just call the schools. Good luck!

It sounds like plan a is a big round about for the same goal. My suggestion is to take a straighter path. It also sounds like you're from So Cal. If that is the case I recommend you take the EMT class at CIEMT and start building your HCE now. It's a 1 month program and I think they have a class every other month. Or you can take EKG Tech or Phlebotomy or Both at Regan Career Institute (also 1 month programs). Next I would apply to schools that don't require HCE. This includes USC, Western, Loma Linda and Touro- Mares Island just to name a few. By the time you hit apply on CASPA you'll at least have 500 hours of HCE (such was the case for me) and you can later update schools with any certs, volunteering, and HCE hours along the way. If you're willing to go out of state I'd also apply to Touro Nevada in Hendrson. It's ok to take a step back to take a huge leap forward. Best of luck to you!

@kma14 Funny, I just shared my thoughts about Dietetics on another post. I actually had almost the EXACT same plan as you up until April this year. I came into undergrad wanting to complete a DI but in the last year and a half set my focus on PA school. I then decided to (A) apply to PA school and see if I could get in with having less pt contact hours compared to other applicants and (B) apply to combined DI/graduate school programs; the "plan" was to attend a combined program if I didn't get into PA school and then reapply in a few years. I met with my advisor and the director of my program and both bluntly said this was a wate of time to me and the DI. Both said that if PA school was my overall goal, I shouldn't be taking "detours" with a DI and getting HCE that only some programs accept, but instead getting HCE that all PA programs like to see in applicants (EMT, CNA, etc). That was frustrating to hear because I really enjoy Dietetics, but I agree with them- looking back at "the plan", it would have been like taking a route that takes 5 hours to drive when there was a shorter route available that only takes 1-2. Like Timon mentioned above, there are many options for getting HCE and hopefully you will have some hours by the next cycle. I also applied to programs that required less hours so I would have more of a chance. I hope this doesn't sound too negative, but this was just my own personal experience and the advice I have gotten from others in Dietetics!

• 2 months later...

I'm a little late coming to this conversation so you might already have your answer but I just wanted to weigh in on dietitian HCE. I've been an RD for about 4 years and am now applying to PA programs (which was not my original intent when I was in my undergrad). I have found the RD experience and BS in dietetics to be a great background. I've gotten interviews for all the PA programs I've applied to and since I work in a hospital I have a lot of great contacts for finding shadowing experiences and references. I would have to disagree with the person who thought CNA or EMT experience is better HCE. I work in the ICU and manage all the nutrition support (TF and TPN), often managing IVF, monitoring drug nutrient interactions and insulin dosage. I have to interpret labs, have a fairly extensive understanding of many diseases and medications, attend interdisciplinary rounds, serve on hospital committees and precept future RDs. We do nutrition focused physical exams and some of us are certified to place feeding tubes (I'm still in the process of getting this). I provide nutrition education to pts and families regarding DM, HD, home TF regimen's, Crohn's, short gut syndrome, colostomy care, etc, etc. I help coordinate care between disciplines and educate MDs/surgeons on the latest nutrition support practices to help their pts have better outcomes. Clinical RDs are very involved in pt care and a big part of the team.

That being said, I do agree that if your end game is to become a PA you should not waste your time trying to become an RD. It is insanely competitive to get an internship these days and many new RDs are having to piece together a full time job with part time and on-call jobs. If you really want to be an RD then it is worth it to make that happen but if you know you want to be a PA, I would just concentrate on that and skip the intensive dietetic internship (assuming you could get one).

• 1 month later...

Just to contribute my quick two cents... I've been an RD for 3 years and was accepted to both programs I applied to. I agree with the post above me in that it's great HCE but if you know already that you want to be a PA I wouldn't

necessarily go though the DI. No school I looked at didn't count clinical RD experience as HCE, most actually considered to be great direct patient care, as they should :)

Archived