PS for Reapplicants: How much did you change?

For those out there who were/are reapplicants...how much of your original PS did you change when applying the second (or third, etc) time around? I feel that my original PS is very strong and reflects who I am and I would change very little about it but wanted to hear other's opinions. Thanks in advance!

have you done anything to change yourself from the last time you applied? Why did you not get in last time? How did you correct that? Any of that information worthy to put on your PS? Are you sure your PS was not an issue last time? Are you applying to the same school or will this be virgin eyes reading your re submitted PS?

If you're applying to the same school, I'd re do it. They don't want to see a carbon copy of what they turned down last year.

• 3 weeks later...

I might re-do the formatting of the PS. However, you are who you are. If a school thinks that you are not a good fit for them based on the PS, then you probably are not a good fit for them, and you probably don't want to be there. If the school thinks that you might be, then good, you'll have to then figure out if they are good fit for you. There is always room for improvement in writing your PS, but as someone else asked, make sure that is the reason that you didn't get in.

Have you had others read it? Have you had other PA's, MD's, friends, English teachers, etc. read it? You might think it's good, but others may not.

Just a thought. Good luck on your apps!

• Administrator
Incorrect, I changed nothing and got an opposite result.

I think you misunderstand the concept of expectation. I did not say "you will" get the same result.

At the same time, by "changed nothing", you mean you didn't change your PS only, I presume. If your previous application was unsuccessful due to lack of prerequisites, a poison LOR, or some other reason that can be addressed without changing the PS at all, then of course your chances are not nearly so dependent on PS rewrite.

If your PS is the same as last year, expect the same result as last year.

This is spot on for most cases. Regardless if a new set of eyes are looking at your narrative, you must check if you have applied to that school previously. Selecting that you have previously applied automatically raises some questions as to what you have done differently since you applied the last time. I would recommend you use your second to last paragraph highlighting your answer to the question "What have you done differently to make yourself a more competitive candidate for our program since the last time you applied?". Of course, your final paragraph should be your conclusion paragraph but you should also briefly summarize the changes you have made to reiterate to the reader that there is nothing else you want out of this world other than a seat at the PA program of your choice. Just my two cents!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Below is a cut & paste from my analysis given by my first choice school:

"On your written portion of your application the Admissions Committee responded favorably to your evidence of volunteer community service, your professional advancement and/or leadership roles, your letters of recommendation and your Personal Statement. The interview team responded favorably to your interview."

My question is this: This program states they found all the subjects provided by CASPA in favor, I cannot change them for update. Is this going to hurt my chances?

Archived