Shadowing

How many MD/PAs have you shadowed?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How many MD/PAs have you shadowed?

I did my one and only day of shadowing today. I'm just checking a box for a couple of supplement apps. When the PA asked about my background, he kind of laughed...."why do you need this".

Again, I was just happily checking a box. It was kind of dumb considering I have been in health care for nearly 20 years....but thems the breaks.

How are people able to shadow physician assistant's consistently (like 40 hrs)? Everywhere I have shadowed only allowed me to shadow once for a max of 2-3 hours due to HIPAA regulations.

Ive shadowed a number of people and I signed a HIPPA agreement at each facility I shadowed at. Ive seen some places require you to volunteer as well in order to shadow.

I did my one and only day of shadowing today. I'm just checking a box for a couple of supplement apps. When the PA asked about my background, he kind of laughed...."why do you need this".

Again, I was just happily checking a box. It was kind of dumb considering I have been in health care for nearly 20 years....but thems the breaks.

...which is why a shadowing requirement is totally ridiculous. I found it funny that there were schools I couldn't apply to because I didn't want to follow a PA around and be useless instead of getting paid to interact with clinicians on a daily basis.

...which is why a shadowing requirement is totally ridiculous. I found it funny that there were schools I couldn't apply to because I didn't want to follow a PA around and be useless instead of getting paid to interact with clinicians on a daily basis.

well, you could be a scribe, still be useless, and get paid....sorry, not a big fan of scribe as "experience". it's mobile transcriptionist/shadowing at the same time. to me hce means at a min that you actually have to touch a pt.....

How are people able to shadow physician assistant's consistently (like 40 hrs)? Everywhere I have shadowed only allowed me to shadow once for a max of 2-3 hours due to HIPAA regulations.

Any opportunities at where you work? I did mine with a PA in the ER where I worked during my off days. She didn't really understand why, since I worked with PAs already, but was willing to help out (right, wrong or indifferent, my school required 50 hrs of PA shadowing in addition to the paid HCE requirement).

I work at a volunteer in the ER at my local hospital and just by being there constantly I got to know the PAs and casually would talk to them about where they went, why they're a PA, applications, etc. Getting to know them well helped when I finally asked them if I could shadow with them on my days off from work. I've been shadowing with them for five months now but only for up to a few hours each time because they tend to get crowded in their office. I guess it depends on the specific hospital, maybe try a few others that are near you?

Archived