BACKPACK?? What kind do you use?

I know PA school can be challenging and require a full days worth of textbooks/stethoscope/other Medical Equipment so im asking around to see what kind of backpack you use? One with tons of pockets and you carry everything with you 24/7 or just a satchel and leave books in class/car, etc? Im looking at getting a backpack that will carry my laptop/ipad/chargers/textbooks and all but seems a bit overkill...thoughts?

rarely took more than one book to class, good number of my books were eBooks, already on my iPad. Had a locker at school for diagnostic equipment, but always knew when we needed it due to calendar so no need to carry it all the time. Lecture slides from the power points were always handed out before lecture began, so used them to take notes on. Truth be told, most of my classroom time, my laptop was all I needed.

This backpack is so legit- it's the first sturdy backpack I've ever bought. It has a separate compartment in the side of the back for your laptop and another compartment towards the front for your tablet/kindle. It has a huge main compartment -despite how many books you stuff back there, the backpack never really seems to grow in size. It's also incredibly comfortable. It usually runs for around 75 or more, especially depending on the color, but this site is selling it for 50 at the moment. If you look around, you could probably get it for even cheaper- I found an awesome coupon when I bought mine so I got it for around 35. It's the Dakine 101 -looks great, feels great, and feels like it can last forever.spacer.gifpost-42260-137934851781_thumb.gifpost-42260-137934851781_thumb.gifpost-42260-137934851781_thumb.gif

post-42260-137934851802_thumb.jpghttp://www.ebags.com/product/dakine/101-pack/207111

post-42260-137934851781_thumb.jpg

post-42260-13793485179_thumb.jpg

post-42260-137934851799_thumb.jpg

This backpack is so legit- it's the first sturdy backpack I've ever bought. It has a separate compartment in the side of the back for your laptop and another compartment towards the front for your tablet/kindle. It has a huge main compartment -despite how many books you stuff back there, the backpack never really seems to grow in size. It's also incredibly comfortable. It usually runs for around 75 or more, especially depending on the color, but this site is selling it for 50 at the moment. If you look around, you could probably get it for even cheaper- I found an awesome coupon when I bought mine so I got it for around 35. It's the Dakine 101 -looks great, feels great, and feels like it can last forever.spacer.gif[ATTACH=CONFIG]982[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]982[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]982[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]983[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]984[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]985[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]986[/ATTACH]http://www.ebags.com/product/dakine/101-pack/207111

Love my Dakine and so do all four of my teenage kids! They've got specific bags to fit personal needs. Mine even has an insulated lunch pouch :-)

just bought this one: http://www.rei.com/product/827128/rei-lookout-40-pack-womens only mine is purple. It was the last purple one in the store and there aren't any online, so I guess they phased that color out. My undergrad backpack was an REI brand and it is still kicking (14 years later), but one zipper sticks and the water resistant coating on the inside is flaking off from so many washings. I'll keep it around for dirty running/gym clothes. I like REI because I can use this pack for months and if I decide it just isn't working for me, they will give me a full refund to pick something else. I once returned a pair of hiking boots that were 2 years old because they never would break in- turns out they just didn't fit me right, but I didn't know any better at the time. I got full credit and now have some that are a much better fit (if only I had more time to backpack these days). Also, my husband has the men's version of this one that he used for nursing school and still uses for work and travel and he loves it. I highly suggest going somewhere like REI and having them help you find a pack that fits you properly. They can show you all the great ways to adjust the straps to relieve muscle fatigue too (this is why I really like hiking packs for school- more straps and adjustment options for comfort). OK I guess I'm an REI fangirl LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

I know a lot of people are advocating ebooks and digital downloads to ipads/smartphones, but you really need to weigh the cost vs the convenience. There's no question that it's more convenient to have a digital copy of a text, but you have absolutely zero re-sale value when you're done. I bought a lot of textbooks during PA school, probably far more than I should have in retrospect. I purchased them all used on Amazon, many of which came with access codes to allow access to digital copies online. When I was done with them, I simply sold them back on Amazon for slightly less than I bought them for. In essence, I "rented" the textbooks and sold them back and maybe lost $10/book, depending on how old the text was and when the newer edition was coming out. If you buy a digital copy, you pay a price and thats it.

Lets take Harrison's guide to internal medicine, for example. This is a test that every single student needs. It's the bible of medicine and a great reference, especially during school. Many opted to keep this book after graduation (myself included). This book can be bought on Amazon for $134 right now. You use it, you get access to the digital content with the key code, then in 2 years you decide to sell it back used on Amazon. You'll most likely be able to sell it for around $115 or so, depending on the time of year and when the newest edition is coming out. So you "rented" Harrisons for 2 years for approximately $20. If you opted to buy the ebook edition for your ipad or kindle, you'd pay $111 that you'd never get back. $111 vs $20, you pick. For me, money was TIGHT during PA school because it wasn't possible for me to work. Just my 2 cents...

I know a lot of people are advocating ebooks and digital downloads to ipads/smartphones, but you really need to weigh the cost vs the convenience.

Both programs I've interviewed at so far have e-books for free from the program. I'm not sure if they will be able to be accessed after school, but it's definitely a good choice over selling one back. The only concern I have about them are my eyes.

• 4 months later...

I've been debating between these 2 packs to replace my old back pack from 1996. I think the Borealis may be too small but I'm not sure yet.

Borealis

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/equipment-daypacks/borealis_3.html

Surge

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/equipment-daypacks/surge-ii.html

FYI, you can get them both brand new on Ebay for far less in case you're interested.

I've been debating between these 2 packs to replace my old back pack from 1996. I think the Borealis may be too small but I'm not sure yet.

Borealis

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/equipment-daypacks/borealis_3.html

Surge

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/equipment-daypacks/surge-ii.html

FYI, you can get them both brand new on Ebay for far less in case you're interested.

Archived