Reconsidering PA track

Hello All,

I'm sure you have seen some messages about doing bad in pre reqs required for PA programs. I've recently been told that if I continue getting C's in my pre reqs I should reconsider my career path because if I really wanted to be a PA I should be getting good grades. Does anyone have a genuine advise as to what they think about this? Be as honest as you can I just really need some wise words from someone who has been in the same position as me. I currently have 4 C's and my GPA is a 2.9. I am a juinor majoring in psychology. I'm currently taking organic chemistry and anatomy and physiology, currently terrified of getting an F in orgo I'm sure some of you can relate but I have two more weeks before my first semester or junior year ends. 

With the caveat that I'm not on any PA admission committee nor have I ever been: I think you should compare your GPA and especially your science GPA with the GPA's that schools actually accept.  If you're well below those levels and can't find a way to bring up your GPA then your should explore other careers.

Finding and working in a field you like for a few years will give you a chance to re-assess.   You may decide that PA is not for you.  You may find that going back to school on a part-time basis at a community college may give you a chance to get better grades.

• Like 1

I'm a faculty member and have -- in the past -- been on admission committees. In general, schools want to accept students who they think can make it through the program and then pass their boards. Programs don't like to see a seat lost to a student who had to leave the program early because of grades and then sits empty (and unpaid for) for another year or two. Or a low board pass rate for your program that affects your reputation.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to determine who will be a successful PA student. There is lots of material in an application packet, including references, an essay, and grades. Of those, grades are probably the best indicator of ability to make it through. PA school moves quickly compared to most undergraduate programs so, if you have trouble as an undergraduate, that isn't a good sign.

Students in their late teens and early twenties go through changes and sometimes some of them aren't ready yet for a tough program. Rather than tough it out, it might be a better idea to take some time off with a job or take a different program that leads to a job you'd be willing to do, whether or not you eventually go on to PA school.

One of the brightest guys I know flunked out of engineering school as a freshman, went into the Army for a few years, and then came back to get a BS, MS, and PhD from really good programs. The point here is that sometimes we don't follow a straight line to our goal, or our goal changes. I wouldn't recommend stacking up a bunch of low grades that later on you will have a hard time overcoming without taking a really large number of additional classes.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

• Upvote 1

On 11/18/2023 at 8:50 AM, ohiovolffemtp said:

Finding and working in a field you like for a few years will give you a chance to re-assess.   You may decide that PA is not for you.  You may find that going back to school on a part-time basis at a community college may give you a chance to get better grades.

Agree with this. Become a paramedic, nurse, or resp therapist and do that for a few years. You may like the new field and decide against PA or that may get you great exposure to medicine and boost your grades and motivation for taking the next step. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I just got accepted into PA school! However, I am doubting that this is the right profession for me. I worry that because of the short time frame, I won’t have enough experience with the hands on procedures and clinical side of things. Do most people feel prepared after completing PA school? 

On 12/3/2023 at 8:32 PM, MaryK said:

Hi! I just got accepted into PA school! However, I am doubting that this is the right profession for me. I worry that because of the short time frame, I won’t have enough experience with the hands on procedures and clinical side of things. Do most people feel prepared after completing PA school? 

Most people don't feel fully competent starting out and that's probably a good thing. You have learned enough to know how to learn more and you see the importance of working in the right environment with the right preceptors.  As time goes on, you develop more confidence and skill. You will need to keep learning as you progress.

Congratulations and good luck!

• Like 1