MA doing shave biopsies

I was shadowing for a potential job in dermatology and the MD wanted me to observe the MA for procedures. the MD would tell the MA what needed to be shave biopsied or what large skin tags the patient wanted removed and then the MD would leave and see a different patient and then the MA would do the procedure. I have never seen this before. Does anyone know if this is in their scope of practice in FL? Unfortunately, the shave biopsies were not done well where it required multiple attempts and often the MA did not get the whole lesion

This is certainly NOT in the scope of an MA. Whether this is a task that can be legally delegated or not, it is bad medicine.  I wouldn't want to have to explain this in malpractice court!  Especially since they are probably charging the same as if the doc or PA did the work.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LKPAC said:

This is certainly NOT in the scope of an MA. Whether this is a task that can be legally delegated or not, it is bad medicine.  I wouldn't want to have to explain this in malpractice court!  Especially since they are probably charging the same as if the doc or PA did the work.

Definitely bad medicine and I was thinking the same thing with malpractice. Obviously not taking the job but was very curious about what, legally, MAs were allowed to do in this state because, to say the least, I was shocked.

1 hour ago, nvrevr said:

Obviously not taking the job

Sadly, not so obvious... There have been many posts on here asking about whether someone should take a job or not with many red flags posted. Thanks for posting so others can hopefully learn what to watch out for. Good on you for being observant. 

• Upvote 1

OTC kits are available in any pharmacy to remove skin tags , warts, etc..  The MA was not doing Mohs. I think you would agree that what she did was relatively minor procedures with usually good outcomes. I do not condone it but not something I would consider a deal breaker. Now whether it is legal or ethical, I don't know.  Just my opinion.